2015 6.4 or 6.7 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
No question about the power, but for my needs the 6.4 has plenty of power.

Stability, how is the diesel more stable because the engine weighs more? All that does is decrease the payload capacity, if you want stability would not dual wheels be more of a factor?

Ever pull an empty enclosed trailer? Would you say it was more stable empty or with some weight in it? The same cross sectional space creating a wind resistance in both situations yet one weighs more. The heavier the less susceptible to wind... hence more stable...

So yes, a heavier engine over top of the steer wheels is going feel more stable... Speaking from experience... I had the 6.4 as i have stated and then traded for the cummins... real world experience and some common logic explains this...

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not thinking of trading for a diesel, just thinking of getting away from Ram, have had too many bad experiences with the quality of the product and the crooked and extremely inept service available from Fiat and Fiat dealers.
My experience with Ford isn't stellar either. If you have a problem it better throw a code or you don't have a problem.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm not thinking of trading for a diesel, just thinking of getting away from Ram, have had too many bad experiences with the quality of the product and the crooked and extremely inept service available from Fiat and Fiat dealers.
One of the big reasons I got rid of my Toyota was because of the dealership. I had lifetime included oil changes and an 8 year factory bumper to bumper warranty. That crooked dealership made it so unbearable to own that truck we got rid of it. Truck was great, had a couple things to be fixed under warranty... but the deceitful dealer was the final straw. Find a good dealer, no matter the brand, and you will be happy. Its just hard to find a good dealer anymore.

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Where do you live? Is it humid and hot during day and cool at night?
In south east louisiana. It's pretty humid out here. I guess there are at least 15 to 20 people that have diesels here at work. Probably 4 or 5 had to get injector work done. One for sure was the owners fault so he was not to upset when warranty did not cover his repairs. I was working at a gmc dealer when this guy came in with a power stroke that had a dead cylinder. He brought it to us and put in a replacement engine from jasper. Ford denied the repair because the air cleaner had a crack in it and claimed the owner messed it up changing the air filter. They never could explain why all the contaminants went to just one cylinder. Our mechanic who used to work at a ford dealer said it was a faulty injector that killed the cylinder. Anyways the owner of the truck was also the owner of a local business that had a fleet of trucks he bought from this dealer. Needless to say that dealer lost that mans business.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Ever pull an empty enclosed trailer? Would you say it was more stable empty or with some weight in it? The same cross sectional space creating a wind resistance in both situations yet one weighs more. The heavier the less susceptible to wind... hence more stable...

So yes, a heavier engine over top of the steer wheels is going feel more stable... Speaking from experience... I had the 6.4 as i have stated and then traded for the cummins... real world experience and some common logic explains this...

Yes I drove tractor trailer in the service, I also had 30 foot fiver I used to pull with a K2500 350 Chevy. I currently have a 34 foot boat trailer with a 26 foot Maxum SCR which has a large cross section as well. Not apples to apples but I am no stranger to towing. What I find as this is my first dual wheel pov and that makes a huge difference in stability.

But even towing my fiver the the K2500 it was very stable, though that truck struggled abit with the weight. Not trying to sidetrack the thread my apologies.

But in the long run its a personal choice based on lifestyle, budget and needs and for me (I also make short commutes with my truck) the cummings did not make sound fiscal sense.

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I like the truck but I also have a reg cab , just curious what the boat weighs ?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
In south east louisiana. It's pretty humid out here. I guess there are at least 15 to 20 people that have diesels here at work. Probably 4 or 5 had to get injector work done. O

That is what I figured. Based on my professional experience dealing with things like this with fleets on a national level for a manufacturer, it probably was either their fault for not maintaining their engine or the fault of the fuel station where they got their fuel. Just about every time multiple people in an area have injector issues with different diesel makes in a humid area then it almost always is water contamination which is not the fault of the engine manufacturer.

If it was water contamination, then they either got water in their tank two ways. One way is from a fuel station that either has a clogged breather filter or no filter at all (which is the case for many of you mom and pop stores). As the fuel gets used and goes down, the space void is replaced by hot and humid air. At night when it cools, the humid air condensates into a layer of water on top of the diesel. Breather filters are suppose minimise this effect, but many times they do not get changed in proper intervals if there's even one at all. The second way is the very same thing happening in your tank. As you use fuel, it pulls humid air in which condensates at night.

If this water gets to the injector then you will have what is called an injector blow out among other things and is NOT the fault of the diesel manufacturer. This is due to the owner not maintaining the engine like he should.

Normal used injector
Intact_Tip_336x500.jpg

Blown out injector due to water
Blown_Tip_368x500.jpg

Most diesel trucks have fuel/water seperator filters with a drain valve for this very same issue. If the sensor detects water in the filter then you are suppose to drain it from the filter which literally takes less than three minutes to do in the 2007.5+ Rams. If I were in a hot and humid climate then I would do this every 5,000 miles or so depending on usage just in case one of those sensors fails to detect water. If I was in an old truck that did not have a fuel/water separator filter, then I would invest in one of the many aftermarket ones that are available.

There's a reason why diesel manufacturers supply a diesel supplement along with the owner's manual for these diesel trucks and it is not their fault if the owner chooses not to read them to know how to properly maintain them. But of course, it will never be the truck owners fault and they will swear up and down that they maintain the truck even though the proof that they didn't is shown in how the injector failed.

Last edited:

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Loaded out on the trailer about 8k (hooked up to my 2010 F150).

View attachment 58722

I'll bet the dually makes short work of towing that boat, I'll also bet on a windy day it's a trick to get that boat off and more so back on the trailer , it's got a big profile , how does it tow in a side wind?

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Assume you mean me? I'll mess with Texas. Yep, we all got to start somewhere. :flipthebird:

Yep, I meant your post and you are living up to it just like Hemi lived up to the "boy" in his name in the thread that got deleted.

Hemifatboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Working on getting this thread deleted too , south Texan , maybe they will just delete you

ramessesII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Doesn't appear to be worthy of engaging.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
15,000 miles for both

while I don't really disagree with this I personally change every 5,000. I have owned a 6.4 Hemi, 5.7 hemi, 5.9 cummins and now a 6.7 cummins and all have been changed at 5,000. Reasoning with my choice on 5,000 is that I don't drive terribly far and 5,000 miles usually lasts me 6 months.

Is my interval excessive? yeah, probably but i've never heard of any issues with changing it too often...

with buying the new truck i may actually send in samples to the black stone lab and see what they are suggesting though...