Hadn't thought about the cops,lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never thought about that either.

I have seen some pictures and videos of American law enforcement/emergency service vehicles that are exempt from FED regulations on emissions. No DPF/DEF. Wonder if it will be the same thing and police keep gasoline?

Could you imagine some hyper-miling police pursuits if everyone is driving electric?

SPEEDS up to 50mph!!!

LOL

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I have seen some pictures and videos of American law enforcement/emergency service vehicles that are exempt from FED regulations on emissions. No DPF/DEF. Wonder if it will be the same thing and police keep gasoline?

Could you imagine some hyper-miling police pursuits if everyone is driving electric?

SPEEDS up to 50mph!!!

LOL
Followed by a news crew in an electric helicopter,lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

SPEEDS up to 50mph!!!

LOL

Even if you did, infrastructure becomes an issue. Police cars could actually be hybrids pretty easily, given the amount of idling but the need to keep electronics running. We tested plug in hybrids for detectives and support units. It worked fine, but didn't save any money. *IF* we'd had more charging infrastructure that was city owned, that would likely have changed. There's still some mild hybrids, like Camry and Fusion non plug ins, but they are replaced with V6 Chargers as they age out. In the end, it was cheaper to standardize vehicles even if fuel costs went up some. Easier to train fleet mechanics, less spare part inventory, ability to scavenge wrecked units for parts, better purchase prices in larger numbers, etc.

Fire trucks are actually the bigger issue for all electric, IMO. Lots of weight to move, lots of gizmos that require a lot of power to work once it gets there, and the need to keep it all going for extended periods of time.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The state here mandated that ALL state vehicles had to be electric by a certain year (I forget what but it isn't that far away). No one seems to be addressing the snow plows, construction vehicles, fire engines, etc. All they care about are the cars.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Fire departments around where i live hate EVs and hybrids for the battery concerns if one goes up and the majority of them are volunteer departments.

Hybrids for patrol work are to costly up front and have higher maintenance....ive driven one for a transport amd they use as much fuel as a regular vehicle. The delay in getting going is awful. Just.my personal experience.

Ive driven the twin turbo Ford interceptor utility we gor in....that is a bit better. Still costly.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went down a rabbit-hole of YouTube police chases a few days ago and was REALLY surprised at how slow police cars are these days... compared to the "bad guys," anyway. If not for traffic it seems the good guys have no chance. Electric would seem to offer some pretty nice speed advantages but, of course, has its limitations with range, etc.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I went down a rabbit-hole of YouTube police chases a few days ago and was REALLY surprised at how slow police cars are these days... compared to the "bad guys," anyway. If not for traffic it seems the good guys have no chance. Electric would seem to offer some pretty nice speed advantages but, of course, has its limitations with range, etc.
That's because the bad guys are usually stealing higher end cars like Hellcats and high performance European cars,while the local cops have a lowly 5.7 powered cop car. If police departments would require a cop car with the same power as what the bads guys have,then the cop cars wouldn't seem as slow in comparision,lol

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

SPEEDS up to 50mph!!!

LOL
It'd be like the OJ low speed chase...edge of yer seat excitement!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Keep in mind only the 'interesting' ones get much play on TV or online.

Without going way too far in depth, high horsepower isn't as big an advantage as you'd think in areas with enough resources to really chase. I've "caught" race motorcycles just by boxing them in and using air ops until they ran out of fuel. Not allowed to stop stick or PIT bikes, it's deadly force, and nobody is keeping up with them straight line. They'll either run out of gas, crash, or give up eventually if you can keep getting someone ahead of them in a moving perimeter.

Now, more rural areas or long straight shots, yeah, it matters more.

More and more departments are going to restrictive chase policies and then using technology to catch up after the fact. That's what we do with 'spinners'. No need to risk a crash with some innocent motorist. Use other means to ID them, pick them up on a warrant later, forfeit the car if applicable.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
That's because the bad guys are usually stealing higher end cars like Hellcats and high performance European cars,while the local cops have a lowly 5.7 powered cop car. If police departments would require a cop car with the same power as what the bads guys have,then the cop cars wouldn't seem as slow in comparision,lol
5.7? More like most of them have 3.3L Ford Interceptor Utilities, and if they are lucky, the have to 3.3L Twin Turbo in them. And they're not as fast as all that. They go quicker than the regular 3.3L but the lag on the turbos is noticeable.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Restrictions on the chase is why, As Docwagon stated.

You would see some crazy stuff if most of the chases were on deserted county roads...

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
5.7? More like most of them have 3.3L Ford Interceptor Utilities, and if they are lucky, the have to 3.3L Twin Turbo in them. And they're not as fast as all that. They go quicker than the regular 3.3L but the lag on the turbos is noticeable.

Interceptors are quick in urban areas. You can't blow through red lights even in a pursuit, you have to drive with due regard which typically means slowing and clearing the intersection. AWD and gearing in those can get you down to safe speed and back up quicker than you'd think.

That said, my 5.7/6 auto/AWD Charger was the best police car I ever had. I'm in a V6 Charger now, but I seldom do anything approaching real police work anyway. I'm basically a paid police impersonator at this point in my career. :D

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We changed to all Tahoes and Durangos at TXDPS. Our director basically said that our safety is more important that the ability to go fast. In addition to that, we haven't had an F-wreck involving a trooper parked on the side of the road on a stop. It happened a few times with the Crown Vics and once with a Mustang SSP in the 80's.

We have way too much real estate to cover for EV's to be remotely effective.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interceptors are quick in urban areas. You can't blow through red lights even in a pursuit, you have to drive with due regard which typically means slowing and clearing the intersection. AWD and gearing in those can get you down to safe speed and back up quicker than you'd think.

That said, my 5.7/6 auto/AWD Charger was the best police car I ever had. I'm in a V6 Charger now, but I seldom do anything approaching real police work anyway. I'm basically a paid police impersonator at this point in my career. :D
Our local mounties are still running the AWD Chargers,there's a couple that stop by our local meets and visit,and what really surprised me,is the fact they have 5.7 AWD's with the 8 speed,which supposedly was a car they never built.
I even had the one young guy pop the hood,as i didn't believe him when he said the car had a 5.7,but sure enough,the damn thing has a 5.7.
I'm waiting for them to start sending the cars off to the auction,as i'd like an AWD Charger with a 5.7 and 8 speed as a winter car

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine

End of the year for me....going on 22 years....
We had a couple of 5.7L AWD Chargers before the idiots got their hands on them and caused issues. And when I say issues....I mean dumb stuff. One kid was trying to do a brake stand ...ruined that car. After so many repairs due to stupidity, they went back to the Fords....and it wasn't the Chargers that were the issue....

Yeah, the no pursuit policies have been in effect for a while up this way....it's all about liability and not getting sued....

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
End of the year for me....going on 22 years....
We had a couple of 5.7L AWD Chargers before the idiots got their hands on them and caused issues. And when I say issues....I mean dumb stuff. One kid was trying to do a brake stand ...ruined that car. After so many repairs due to stupidity, they went back to the Fords....and it wasn't the Chargers that were the issue....

Yeah, the no pursuit policies have been in effect for a while up this way....it's all about liability and not getting sued....

We'll still pursue for anything above a traffic infraction, but our decision making on when it's too dangerous for everyone involved has certainly evolved away from the 'chase them until the wheels fall off' to 'maybe I don't need to do 40mph over the speed limit the wrong way down a 1 way street when school is letting out over a stop light'.

We didn't do it lightly, they kept stats for a year on how many guns, drugs, violent felons, etc. we got on stops that started as nothing more than a traffic stop. There certainly were some, but not as many as I would have expected and not enough to justify the losses of men and material from the policy.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Our local mounties are still running the AWD Chargers,there's a couple that stop by our local meets and visit,and what really surprised me,is the fact they have 5.7 AWD's with the 8 speed,which supposedly was a car they never built.
I even had the one young guy pop the hood,as i didn't believe him when he said the car had a 5.7,but sure enough,the damn thing has a 5.7.
I'm waiting for them to start sending the cars off to the auction,as i'd like an AWD Charger with a 5.7 and 8 speed as a winter car

Yeah, I think we had that conversation here before. Or I did with someone, anyway. The newest ones did have it as an option, which is interesting because our fleet rep told us it was physically impossible to get the hemi, 8 speed and AWD transfer case to all physically fit in the car together. Someone figured it out, though. The 6 speed was fine in a police car, though. My only gripe was the traction control was way too aggressive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441