2016 2500 5.7 MPG question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cliffslocal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I searched pretty hard and could not find a fuel economy thread for the 2500 with a 5.7. I saw lot of MPG threads on the 6.4. I know you don't buy these for MPG, just curious what folks are getting. I only put about 7-8k miles a year on my truck.

My truck is a white tradesman (chrome bumpers, trailer brake and camera etc. but otherwise stock) 4x2 with 4:10 gears. It currently only has 92 miles on it but I am curious what folks are getting for mileage on these? I know the 6.4 is great but I could not swing it. I really love this truck.

I traded in my 2012 SLT 1500 4.7. I tow a 5000lb TT in the west but will likely get something in the 7-8K range in the next several years. Towing with the 4.7 the trans made weird screeches in the Sierras which is why I traded in. I know I could of gotten a 1/2 ton w/ Hemi but we do some long hauls in the west and safety is my priority.

Thanks

FlatLandRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am currently driving a 2014 ram 2500 tradesman with the 5.7 hemi and I am consistently getting anywhere from 14-18mpg depending on my cargo and conditions. It is completely stock except for a flowmaster dual exhaust. I have pulled upwards of 10000 pounds+ with it and the truck itself handles great. Now with that said it doesn't run in any gear higher than 4th when I am pulling that kinda load so my rpms are between 2500-3500. When pulling my 28 foot enclosed trailer with 3 atv's and 3 people with gear I was getting roughly 10-12 mpg cruising at 105km/h. After owning this truck I see no reason to ever buy a half ton again. They just don't compare in any aspect. The truck doesn't squat when loaded and rides very well for a heavy duty solid axle truck. Interior wise its quiet and has plenty of room for 4 full size men and then some. I use mine primarily for highway driving and so far 45000 km this year alone and its been great.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The sierras are great!!! I live in the eastern sierras.. Some of the guys towing and hauling on here will never know the grades we have to pull. I too came from a 1/2 ton and will never go back. Luckily for you, you have the 5.7 and there are a ton of aftermarket bolt ones available for you compared to my 6.4. I do not know the tuning availability for your truck, but I imagine a set of headers, cai, maybe even a throttle body and you would see some performance increases.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The sierras are great!!! I live in the eastern sierras.. Some of the guys towing and hauling on here will never know the grades we have to pull.

This will go off track a bit- so feel free to PM me or whatever, but can you describe your grades and how that 6.4 handles them?

I see quite a few 6 and 7% grades, some go on for quite a ways. I know my 1500 was always pegged at 3800-4500 RPMs on them, just curious if the better torque curve on the 6.4 will show.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I am currently driving a 2014 ram 2500 tradesman with the 5.7 hemi and I am consistently getting anywhere from 14-18mpg depending on my cargo and conditions. It is completely stock except for a flowmaster dual exhaust. I have pulled upwards of 10000 pounds+ with it and the truck itself handles great. Now with that said it doesn't run in any gear higher than 4th when I am pulling that kinda load so my rpms are between 2500-3500. When pulling my 28 foot enclosed trailer with 3 atv's and 3 people with gear I was getting roughly 10-12 mpg cruising at 105km/h. After owning this truck I see no reason to ever buy a half ton again. They just don't compare in any aspect. The truck doesn't squat when loaded and rides very well for a heavy duty solid axle truck. Interior wise its quiet and has plenty of room for 4 full size men and then some. I use mine primarily for highway driving and so far 45000 km this year alone and its been great.

What gears do you have on your 4x4 2500, I have the 3.73 I also have the tuner, S&B intake, Y-pipe, it pull pretty but I don't have nothing too big to tow yet. Right now with the winter grade fuel around town I get about 11 to 12.5 if I drive like a old lady. On the highway driving I get almost 16 I probably could do a little better but I live in the Pacific Northwest where their is a lot of hill.

I also are like the other I had two 1/2 ton and can't see myself going back, in a matter of fact I'm trying to work a deal to get in a 2016 2500 6.4L but I will see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffslocal

cliffslocal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What gears do you have on your 4x4 2500, I have the 3.73 I also have the tuner, S&B intake, Y-pipe, it pull pretty but I don't have nothing too big to tow yet. Right now with the winter grade fuel around town I get about 11 to 12.5 if I drive like a old lady. On the highway driving I get almost 16 I probably could do a little better but I live in the Pacific Northwest where their is a lot of hill.

I also are like the other I had two 1/2 ton and can't see myself going back, in a matter of fact I'm trying to work a deal to get in a 2016 2500 6.4L but I will see.

I have a 4x2 not 4x4. Gears are 4.10. I have about 160 miles so far and my mpg is currently 13.1 with mostly city. I'm hoping it will avg 12/17...we'll see.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yeah, that is possibly, the most I have gotten is 15.5 on the hightway but I live in the Pacific Northwest and my truck is a 4x4 with 3.73 gears, my next truck if I can swing it will be a 4.10.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will be following this thread closely. There are a lot of 5.7L 2500's in my area for sale, and not that many 6.4L's. If I can pull off 12mpg unloaded driving around Philadelphia then I would be totally happy !.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can- just don't lift it lol. Also the aftermarket parts are there for u as well. "More for power/drive ability " than mileage

OP
OP
cliffslocal

cliffslocal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can- just don't lift it lol. Also the aftermarket parts are there for u as well. "More for power/drive ability " than mileage

Ha, yes a lift would be great but this thing seems sufficient for my needs. Definitely need a step bar as even my 4x2 is taller than my friends f150 4x4.

I have the 7 year max care thing and don't want to void it so I want to be careful of what I add. I need to research what can be added that wont void warranty. Its a great truck. The 5.7 seems amazing for me, I couldn't even imagine the 6.4. I will probably never use this truck for its intended purpose (pulling 10-11k+) so the 5.7 seems more than enough for me.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Ram 2500 Mileage | Fuelly
Be careful with people's stated mileage numbers. They tend to trust the lie-o-meter, which can be up to 25% off.

Exactly! I wanted to say the same thing a few times in this thread, but figured I'd stay out of it. These lie-of meters are notorious for being off especially in older trucks.

I had a friend who used to tell me that he always got 20 mpg average in his 2003 5.9L. This was according to his lie-o-meter, and I told him I wouldn't believe it until he confirmed it with hand calculations. Needless to say he doesn't tell everyone he gets 20 mpg average anymore since his hand calculations always came up about 14.5 mpg no matter what his lie-o-meter stated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffslocal

cliffslocal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly! I wanted to say the same thing a few times in this thread, but figured I'd stay out of it. These lie-of meters are notorious for being off especially in older trucks.

I had a friend who used to tell me that he always got 20 mpg average in his 2003 5.9L. This was according to his lie-o-meter, and I told him I wouldn't believe it until he confirmed it with hand calculations. Needless to say he doesn't tell everyone he gets 20 mpg average anymore since his hand calculations always came up about 14.5 mpg no matter what his lie-o-meter stated.

Yeah that's fine, ill test by hand as well. I went by the EVIC on my old Ram so presumably that thing was lying as well. As long as its close I will survive as I didn't buy this thing for mileage. I bought it to tow my family safely to national parks in the western US.

So if you know your 2500 5.7's mileage post it up! :)

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Winter fuel, cold temps, short commutes. Recipe for poor mileage.
Tell me about it :/

First cold snap here. I have a perfect storm. Cold temps, winter fuel and a new truck so everything is really tight. My next fill up will tell the tale but if I were a betting man I would have to say I am right around 8mpg.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although, my lie-o-meter has been telling me abysmal mileage. Yesterday it was 14* and calm and to see what my truck would average at 50mph I took it for a 42mile drive. The EVIC said 18.9. I was disheartened. Decided to hand Calc anyway. Was surprised when it clicked of at 1.7 gal. I thought it couldn't be done filling because of my EVIC reading so I grabbed the handle and squeezed just to have it click off right away. Try again. Click. Ended up with 1.835g used overy 42 miles. 22.89mpg.

You could be pleasantly surprised.