MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MDADDYRABBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As many have pointed out, it probably IS reading relatively accurately for how it's being driven. The 6.4 is not a 2-mile commuter engine. It is a gas workhorse, and you're probably barely getting to speed before you're slowing down again, and it's NEVER getting up to operating temperature. It's definitely not getting hot enough to burn off deposits in the catalytic converter unless you're taking it out on longer drives.

I get not wanting a payment or more insurance, but you really need to ask yourself if you need that truck, and if it is the vehicle that makes the most sense for her to drive back and forth to work in? If I were in your situation, the answer would most definitely be no, and I'd probably look into at least a hybrid, probably an EV for her (and she'd likely be okay with it, she likes the Lightning). That said, we always have an extra vehicle too, just in case we run into problems. One of us will get it out every now and then and drive it for a few days, just to keep things lubricI

I bought the truck to pull my Fifth wheel camper. I crank the truck everyday an half hour before she leaves for work. That way it is warmed up. I travel 10-50 miles a day with work each day. I drive the Honda Accord. She goes to work and parks until afternoon.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought the truck to pull my Fifth wheel camper. I crank the truck everyday an half hour before she leaves for work. That way it is warmed up. I travel 10-50 miles a day with work each day. I drive the Honda Accord. She goes to work and parks until afternoon.
Maybe you could just switch from time-to-time, although I get it if you're trying to keep from racking up the odometer on the Ram.
Merge onto a nearby highway and clean out the pipes!

My 1500/5.7/8speed/3.21 rear does relatively well, city and highway. I get 14.5 straight city and 22-24 highway depending on summer or winter gas.
My wife's car is a 2011 Eclipse I4/2.4L, factory dual exhaust and
AT with auto-stick feature. It's really peppy and revs so high on the highway at 55mph it gets worse fuel economy then the Ram.
It just seems better suited to short trips and that's how it's used.

I hate the little thing. So noisy on the highway my ears are ringing when I get out. If I can get out.
At 6'3" and 245lbs, and size 13 EEEE Timberlands it is almost impossible for me to get in/out of it. It's also glitter red. I feel a little "light in my loafers" when seen getting out of it. Definitely a girls car.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Putting a lot of idle time on the motor, just be aware.

OP
OP
M

MDADDYRABBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Putting a lot of idle time on the motor, just be aware.
Thanks for the info. All I posted in the beginning was to find out how to change the setting for the MPG to match with the tires. This has taken many directions.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks for the info. All I posted in the beginning was to find out how to change the setting for the MPG to match with the tires. This has taken many directions.
If you are letting the truck idle a half hour to an hour a day, tire error is the least of your problems. Idling is zero miles per gallon and consumes the same amount of gas as you would at 50 miles an hour. That followed by a 2 miles trip isnt much to offest all that idling. You are lucky to be averaging 9 with your use profile.

OP
OP
M

MDADDYRABBIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you are letting the truck idle a half hour to an hour a day, tire error is the least of your problems. Idling is zero miles per gallon and consumes the same amount of gas as you would at 50 miles an hour. That followed by a 2 miles trip isn't much to offest all that idling. You are lucky to be averaging 9 with your use profile.
I only do that days it is below freezing. NC is not that cold all the time

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you are letting the truck idle a half hour to an hour a day, tire error is the least of your problems. Idling is zero miles per gallon and consumes the same amount of gas as you would at 50 miles an hour. That followed by a 2 miles trip isnt much to offest all that idling. You are lucky to be averaging 9 with your use profile.
While idling certainly drops your MPG average, I would need to see the stats on how it could possibly use as much fuel as driving 50 MPH. And if idling is a major issue with the Hemi engine, then RAM needs to join the 21st Century. There were a couple of occasions this past summer where I was waiting for my wife either at the dr's office or at the store and I sat with the truck idling for as much as an hour with the A/C going because it was 100 degrees outside and never gave it a thought. It's not something that would happen at all regularly, but a couple times a year wouldn't be out of the question.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
While idling certainly drops your MPG average, I would need to see the stats on how it could possibly use as much fuel as driving 50 MPH. And if idling is a major issue with the Hemi engine, then RAM needs to join the 21st Century. There were a couple of occasions this past summer where I was waiting for my wife either at the dr's office or at the store and I sat with the truck idling for as much as an hour with the A/C going because it was 100 degrees outside and never gave it a thought. It's not something that would happen at all regularly, but a couple times a year wouldn't be out of the question.
You want to check consumption use your OBD reader. My mx+ displays consumption figures at idle or when driving. I is suprising how much fuel a 6.4 burns at idle.

Screen shot of my obd read out. Connected and engine running it populates these gauges. Lower left is gal/hr consumption.

1000002236.jpg

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
on flat roads, cruise set, i can get 22+ mpg @ around 55mph. But those flay roads are hard to find in kentucky. but we get about average 18 mpg driving in the city.(somerset) i can't complain being that it's a Hemi.

Stay out of west virginia...it's like constant hills! Made that mistake trying to avoid Ohio traffic driving to NYS

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You want to check consumption use your OBD reader. My mx+ displays consumption figures at idle or when driving. I is suprising how much fuel a 6.4 burns at idle.

Screen shot of my obd read out. Connected and engine running it populates these gauges. Lower left is gal/hr consumption.

View attachment 533460
I'll have to take your word for it. I don't have an OBD reader.