2016 3500 Limited throwing P0871

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hondo Lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013, 2008
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Good morning. New here. First time to post. I’ve read posts about the P0871 code but I can’t seem to find one with the fix. I’m trying to keep from throwing parts at it. Mine either happens when pulling a trailer and getting on highway on ramps or when I go to accelerate quickly. Does anyone have the correct fix yet? I’ve read that changing out the valve body does not fix it permanently. Mine resets by itself or with the obd scanner. But obviously don’t want to keep doing that. Thanks for your time.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Typed "P0871" into Google and you can read articles until blue in the face. The above link has a decent overview of the issue.

A few comments, not just for this specific code but all codes in general:

- While in the description it mentions fluid pressure sensor or switch, the codes does NOT say that the only possible issue is a bad sensor. It is saying that the signal the ECM is receiving from the sensor is outside of normal range. Point being just don't blindly go throw a new sensor at it. While it could be a bad sensor, it could also be the sensor is working correctly and saying something else is causing the pressure to be off.
- Are you experiencing any of the symptoms stated in the article, besides just the check engine light? You can determine if the code is active or store with a scanner. Check engine and other warning lights don't necessarily only come on when the problem is active. For example, there is always a chance the ECM read a low trans pressure for maybe 5 seconds which is long enough to trigger the light, then the pressure went back to normal. The check engine light will remain on for a certain period of time or until "cleared" with an OBD reader. Most codes will keep the check engine light on for a certain number of key cycles even if it's not active (the issue does not continue to occur. If there are no obvious driveability issues it's pretty common to clear the code and see if it comes back on or not.
- The article has some basic recommendations for trouble-shooting the issue. Always start with the easy and free/cheap ones before starting to throw parts at it. For this code some of the causes could simply be low trans fluid level, dirty (dark/black) trans fluid, the engine getting hot, and do a visual inspection of all of the wiring around the trans for signs of obvious damage.

OP
OP
Hondo Lane

Hondo Lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013, 2008
Engine
6.7 Diesel
well. Been a while. Still having the same issue after replacing the solenoid shift pack and the valve body. The shop has had it for another week and still doesn’t know anything. They can’t get it to throw the code sometimes. I get in it and get 2 miles from the shop and it throws the code again and doesn’t shift into high or overdrive. At a loss.

keith kingsfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So frustrating. I'm having the exact same issue with my 2016 3500. Code only throws when I'm towing something or if I accelerate too fast. Then it is either stuck in overdrive or won't shift into overdrive. Stop and disconnect the batteries for a few minutes and it resets. At a loss. Don't want to throw a valve body at it if that's not the issue

OP
OP
Hondo Lane

Hondo Lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013, 2008
Engine
6.7 Diesel
This is the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I’ve had 2 valve bodies put in. Now I’m being told I need to replace the transmission. That they’ve researched and checked all the circuits and wiring. Can’t find anything else wrong. I don’t get it. Now I’m getting p0729 all mt with the p0871code. But not all the time. I can clear the codes. Runs fine. May go a day. May go 3 weeks before it throws again. I don’t get it