2016 Bighorn Parking Sensor Issue - Going off and on - Driving me crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duke_Stratosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction for this. Bought the truck used. A week after I got it I went through a car wash and about a mile down the road the rear parking sensors went out. The next day they were back on. Now it's gotten to where when I just drive down the road they go off and on. Every time they go off the truck dings at me. At first I thought it was water related, but now it happens rain or shine, wet or dry, at all times of day or night. While I can not figure out exactly what makes them go off and on, it does appear that they go off mostly when I am slowing down or stopping. However, if they are on I may stop at a dozen stop lights before it dings, or like this morning it dinged at me four different times while on cruise control on the highway at 65MPH steady.

I've replaced all four sensors, and the wiring between the sensors and the main wiring harness. I've cleaned the main wiring plug with electrical cleaner, and attempted to heat shrink the entire plug to ensure no water can get in it. I've re-taped the wiring for about six inches in each direction of the main wiring plug to try and stiffen up the wires in case one is loose / broken. I've examined the wiring as much as I can and can find no loose wires, no damaged wires, and no place the wiring harness isn't secured to the frame like it's supposed to be.

When I check the sensors while they are in error it is always the drivers side inner sensor that doesn't click. The other three will be clicking away. Swapping the sensors does not move where the failure is. It's always that one sensor location.

Anyone got some ideas on how to track down where the fault is in this issue?

Thank you

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Several questions for you. Does the system still alarm if you turn it off? When you say it “dings” do you mean a ding sound goes off? Does the ding correspond with a warning or notice on the evic? Mine doesn’t ding except when it’s turned on or off. When my 2018 alarms it’s a beep. The beep increases in speed between beeps as you get closer to the object. I know you said you replaced all the sensors but it’s possible that one of those sensors is bad out of the box. If you still have the old sensors you could try changing one new sensor at a time with an old sensor to test.

OP
OP
D

Duke_Stratosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I turn it off it doesn't alarm. The ding is accompanied by the light on the button turning on and the dash console showing a message that "Rear parking assist is off". When it's working it beeps as an objects is behind the truck, so it works correctly when it works. It's just turning itself on and off as I drive down the road. As far as the sensors I've tried moving them around and the error always stays at the same location, which is indicative of a wiring issue, not a sensor issue. I am just hoping that someone has some more knowledge of the wiring pathways for this system and can give some advice as to where to check it for issues.

sickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had this happen after washing it too. Same sensor every time on the front. I ended up just unplugging the sensor, drying out and cleaning the connection and it went away. It still happens from time to time when it snows if snow or slush get sprayed on it but never enough for it to bother me.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I understand your concern correctly, it’s not that the system is going into a false alarm mode, it’s randomly turning itself on and off?

OP
OP
D

Duke_Stratosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. Not false alarms. Just randomly turning on and off while driving down the road

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct. Not false alarms. Just randomly turning on and off while driving down the road
I’m thinking it’s not a sensor issue. Random on/off could be a short or wiring issue. I know you said you replaced the wiring harness back by the sensors but have you checked the wiring in the cab or the physical switch? Has anyone recently had the dash apart since this issue started?

MS1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
OP - Did you ever solve this? I have the same issue. I have a cheapo OBD tool, but from what I can tell the system isn't throwing any DTCs. However, I get the "Service ParkAssist Sensors" accompanied by a ding when I get speed around 8-10 mph. Then it intermittently turns off and on as I'm driving, dinging each time. I've replaced all four sensors, and all four click like they're supposed to. So I presume the sensors are all fine. I've disconnected negative side of batteries hoping to reset the warning, but it comes back as soon as I start engine and get up to that 8-10 mph mark.... Help?!