2016 Dodge Ram Flickering Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powellbm86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought my RAM 1500 Express in January 2016. It has the stock base headlights. I was working late so I only got to see and play with the vehicle at night. I actually noticed it during the test drive, but didn’t realize what it actually was until after I’d bought it. There have been several posts about the headlights flickering intermittently. It happens fast. Most people think they just blinked or something. I just got back from a trip and had a couple hundred miles to mess with stuff at night. The only modification I have done to it was tapping into the rear left door speaker at the harness in the B-Pillar, installing a kicker CX300.1 amp and 8” kicker sub (10C84).

Temperature was about mid 70s when the sun went down. Lights kicked on so I thought I’d try and record the problem. The dealer said “no clue, can’t recreate the problem, haven’t heard of it…” Lights didn’t flicker for hours. As the temp dropped, I started to see it more frequently. Towards the end of the drive where the temp was about 55F outside, it was happening every couple of minutes.

Other things I tested to confirm it wasn’t affected by:
The volume of the radio had no effect. The level of bassy music had no effect. Whether or not the AC was on had no effect. Whether the lights were in auto or on had no effect. Acceleration had no effect.

My theory is there is something leaking or condensing somewhere. I’m not super car savvy, but this is the best conclusion I can come up with. It would make sense as to why the dealer couldn’t recreate the problem. If the vehicle wasn’t up to temperature and the garage was at a livable temperature, it would make the problem harder to diagnose. I’m going to take the truck in with the new info. I recorded some video while I was driving to kind of back up my theory so hopefully that covers some of the issues. If you guys have any questions comments, please hit me up. I’ll keep this posted with anything that comes out of it.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Limeybastard found some info on a Jeep forum I believe in regards to PWM causing the flicker. I don't have a link for you but try searching his name or the PWM flicker and it might lead you to something.

countrygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine do it to. It's a 2015. I think most people don't even notice it. It's so fast it's not a big issue for me.

philbilly223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I have noticed the flicker on my 16 express as well. Looking forward to reading what you find out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PATDOW1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ED Outdoorsman 4X4
Engine
3.0L
Ive got flicker as well.

Subscribed

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 without flicker (but with HIDs)

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I've got the flicker. No pattern I've found yet. Some trips it seems like it is every 6 minutes, others not at all.

One night I was driving for about an hour and did not notice, parked for 30, noticed it once or twice over an hour, parked for 10, noticed every 6-15 minutes over two hours, parked for 15, did not observe for the next two hours.

During the trip that was every 6-15 I tired pulling up on ebrake petal and pulling release, moving headlight selector from auto to on, turning headlight selector off for a few seconds then back to on, leaving high beams on, leaving high beams off, turning HVAC off, changing radio input and muting, activating bed light flashers and blinkers, operating with cruise on and off. Turning everything on. Nothing seemed to have an impact.

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
In my case it seems to be both headlights at the same time.
Happens if lights auto or manually activated.
Happens with high or low beam activated.
Happens at idol (traffic light, drive through) or highway speed, but have only observed while vehicle in gear.
HVAC off or setting does not seem to impact.
Radio mute does not seem to impact.
No fogs, upgraded alternator.

philbilly223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Brought my truck in for recall work today and I asked about the flickering lights. The tech said that it happens with all new trucks because of all the computers in them. He said it should go away eventually and that there was nothing they could do to fix it.

Novia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I also have flicker issue. after checking all the probable cause but could figure out till my frd told me to buy a decoder from Amazon. Awesome LED decoder, 2 weeks after installing, it still works well. Here's the install pics!
mail

Wrigley17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 express, lights flicker as well. Dealership obciously couldn't recreate the problem.

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brought my truck in for recall work today and I asked about the flickering lights. The tech said that it happens with all new trucks because of all the computers in them. He said it should go away eventually and that there was nothing they could do to fix it.

Seriously? That's some funny stuff right there!!!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
2015 express, lights flicker as well. Dealership obciously couldn't recreate the problem.

How often to the lights flicker? Is this a consistent issue, easily seen? - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

philbilly223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
No pattern with mine that I can determine. It's quick and the first few times I thought I was blinking.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a heavily reported issue between forums. I noticed it with my 2015 and was hoping to not have the issue with my 2016. Unfortunately, a bout a week ago I noticed it happening. No real rhyme or reason.

forgottengem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok not sure if this will help or not... i was told by the dealer that the lights flicker when the active grill shutters move from one position to another... the step motor used to open and close the shutters draws a good amount of juice when it comes on.

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
I came to your thread to find an answer for my lights flickering on my 2016 Ram 1500 V6 and then I remembered that my Wife's 2005 PT Cruiser turbo 2.4 did as well, Her battery was a series 26 which is tiny but mine is a H7 but also 5 years old it starts fine maintaining a 12.5 volt charge even at 2 degrees this morning in Minnesota so I'm wondering is it a problem that has been in the regulator in the charging system all these years (I had a 69 Fury 3 that did it too I recalled since writing this)