2016 Hemi, gas cap light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparty96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so Wednesday morning I jump in my truck to go to work. The check engine light pops on. I noticed the oil temp gage seemed to be slow coming to temp. I scrolled the the menu and saw the temp was coming up. In a few minutes of driving it was in the normal range. I picked up a obi scanner and it said i had a large evap leak. Cleared the code, restarted engine, all was fine. Drove to work this morning with no issues, its an hour drive btw. As i left work the check gas cap light came on. When i stopped i took it off, put it on, still on. I dont have an odometer reset button like my manual says. I reset both trip a and b. Still on. Cleaned cap and filler, put some light grease on seal which is still fine. Its still on. Truck has 65,000 miles. I read somewhere people are having fuel pump replaced?

OP
OP
S

Sparty96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a 2016 with the Hemi. I failed to mention.

WhiTri24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might just be a bad cap. My wifes Town and Country had the same issue. Bought a new gas cap and the CEL hasn't came back. That's been about a year ago and at the time it had around low 60K miles.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you cleaned and resealed it did it clear the code? If not try that and see if it comes back. Can always throe a new cap on it and swap the purge solenoid which are cheap and easy are and are two of the more common failures. If that don't work, could be a bad line, charcoal canister or a couple other things. More than likely is not the fuel pump.

This is a common problem I see and I have it on one of my trucks as well for the last 20k miles. If throwing the two parts I mentioned above at it doesn't do it, may want to have a reliable/trustworthy mechanic try and diagnose it. I don't have one of those myself so have not got mine fixed yet.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you cleaned and resealed it did it clear the code? If not try that and see if it comes back. Can always throe a new cap on it and swap the purge solenoid which are cheap and easy are and are two of the more common failures. If that don't work, could be a bad line, charcoal canister or a couple other things. More than likely is not the fuel pump.

This is a common problem I see and I have it on one of my trucks as well for the last 20k miles. If throwing the two parts I mentioned above at it doesn't do it, may want to have a reliable/trustworthy mechanic try and diagnose it. I don't have one of those myself so have not got mine fixed yet.

Follow this guy! My ram recently had the P0440 code trouble and I ordered a cheap purge valve solenoid off of rock auto or something and cleared the code and it's never came back.

I've also seen a few other people on this forum recently say the exact same thing and it was the purge valve solenoid.

Fingers crossed its the same thing for you!

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Follow this guy! My ram recently had the P0440 code trouble and I ordered a cheap purge valve solenoid off of rock auto or something and cleared the code and it's never came back.

I've also seen a few other people on this forum recently say the exact same thing and it was the purge valve solenoid.

Fingers crossed its the same thing for you!

I did a cap and purge valve replacement and checked all the lines. Probably my canister or something with the filler neck. But if gas cap replacement doesn't work, purge valve seems to be the next common fix for most people.

I've got p0446 and p0447 right now. I think over the last year I've thrown all p0440 through p0447 randomly after various code resets. It's at the point now where when I clear codes, they don't come back after a little mileage, they come back on right at first start, before I even get it into gear. Lol!!

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@MarshRam

Oh my apologies. Apparently I can't read. I thought you just replaced your purge valve lol

Dang.. I was worried it was my canister. I didn't want to drop my tank at all.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Ok so Wednesday morning I jump in my truck to go to work. The check engine light pops on. I noticed the oil temp gage seemed to be slow coming to temp. I scrolled the the menu and saw the temp was coming up. In a few minutes of driving it was in the normal range. I picked up a obi scanner and it said i had a large evap leak. Cleared the code, restarted engine, all was fine. Drove to work this morning with no issues, its an hour drive btw. As i left work the check gas cap light came on. When i stopped i took it off, put it on, still on. I dont have an odometer reset button like my manual says. I reset both trip a and b. Still on. Cleaned cap and filler, put some light grease on seal which is still fine. Its still on. Truck has 65,000 miles. I read somewhere people are having fuel pump replaced?

My 2016 hemi sport CEL literally came on 2 days ago with 48k miles. The dealer narrowed down the error code to a faulty fuel management sensor. They ordered a new fuel management system to replace mine. It should be in tomorrow.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the same issue going on. Replaced my gas cap, checked everything and nothing. Talked to the dealership and the SA told me that it is usually 90% the leak detection pump, a $26.00 part. He said these fail all the time. It is above the gas tank, of course, I have one sitting in my garage just waiting for the time to install it. It doesn't really bother me currently because I don't have emissions pending, but it will not go into ECO mode with the CEL.

OP
OP
S

Sparty96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put a new gas cap on and tried to clear the loose gas cap light. Nothing worked. Service tech said i had to drive it awhile and after it passes some tests a few times the light will turn off. We shall see what happens.

WhiTri24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife's van probably took about a day to clear up.

OP
OP
S

Sparty96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so ive driven over 300 miles with new cap. Filled it over 3/4 twice as i heard that may have something to do with it, and loose cap light is still on. I guess im calling dealer to get it in. If i wasnt going on a trip in a month i wouldnt be worried about it. I plan on asking for an upfront quote, see if i get one. Im guessing not.

OP
OP
S

Sparty96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found this on car gurus. Guess i will try a couple more tanks of gas first.

Screenshot_20190524-105835_Chrome.jpg

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The gas cap light doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the gas cap. It just means a large enough evap leak that is equivalent to a faulty/loose gas cap. So it could be a number of things, not just the gas cap.

The CEL can be cleared with a cheap scanner, however the gas cap light is different. To clear the light, the PCM has to be reset with a scan tool. Or you can try a capacitive discharge, it should reset it. Take both battery terminals off the battery and touch them together for a few seconds. Then let the vehicle sit with the battery disconnected for 30 minutes.

If the gas cap was the issue, the light will clear on its own once the tests run and pass 3 times. However the criteria for the tests to run are pretty stringent, fuel level, ambient temp, time shut off and time the engine has run, as well as a few other things all have to be in the right data ranges in order for the tests to even run.

OP
OP
S

Sparty96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hose from canister to control valve had a large hole. Found it by smoking it.