2016 RAM 1500 Wiring Diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedHardy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I was swapping out my factory radio with an aftermarket radio and cut several wires on the dadgum 52-pin connector.
Thinking I'd just find a wiring diagram I hopped online - and I've found several. But nothing that tells me which wire is the accessory/run to the battery.
Red is battery. Black is ground. Which one is accessory/run? I thought it was yellow but that is not the case.

Thanks!

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried this site? Was it the alpine or non alpine?

OP
OP
R

RedHardy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks @A_mod .. it's the non-alpine. I've definitely seen a version of that diagram. Taking a look I don't see a dedicated wire for accessory/run.

My aftermarket radio has a red battery wire and a yellow accessory/run wire.
I am using the fused B+ (RED) wire from the radio.. hooking red wire to red wire doesn't work but connecting both aftermarket wires (yellow and red) does.. only problem is the radio doesn't cut off when the truck is off since essentially I am running straight to the battery.

OP
OP
R

RedHardy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm not against buying a new 52-pin connector.. but I would think someone on here has seen this before!
If I needed to get a new connector, is mopar the best place? I havent seen one on ebay.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Taking a look I don't see a dedicated wire for accessory/run.

My aftermarket radio has a red battery wire and a yellow accessory/run wire.
I am using the fused B+ (RED) wire from the radio.. hooking red wire to red wire doesn't work but connecting both aftermarket wires (yellow and red) does.. only problem is the radio doesn't cut off when the truck is off since essentially I am running straight to the battery.
I don't believe the factory radios use an accessory wire to turn On/Off, I think they use the communication through the LINbus/CANbus.
You'll probably need to use something that's switched on with the ignition like the +12V power port for your aftermarket radio

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m no audio installation expert. I have installed more than a few aftermarket radios in all kinds of cars. It has been my experience that aftermarket head units require a constant 12V power source and a switched 12V power source. The red wire is typically the switched power wire and the yellow is the constant. When you say that you connected both the red and yellow wires do you mean you literally connected them physically together? You need BOTH a switched power feed and a constant for the aftermarket unit to function correctly. It appears you have two issues, one the cut factory harness and the wiring diagram to find the switched and constant power feeds. May I ask why you don’t solder and repair the cut harness? To dig out that harness for OEM replacement may be more work than repairing it. What year truck do you have as different years have different wire colors, I’ve found this out the hard way. What brand aftermarket radio are you installing? Knowing these two things will help finding the information you need.

EDIT: sorry I see in the header you have a 2016. My bad.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After searching the web for a 2016 wiring diagram I was unsuccessful but I did find a 2016 Charger diagram and a 2017 Ram 1500 diagram and they were the same. Sadly Crash68 is correct. The turn on signal or 12V ACC is supplied by the CANBUS. You can purchase aftermarket devices that allow the CANBUS to supply a 12V ACC signal. Several manufacturers make such devices. You can also do it the old school way like Crash68 stated. You can pull a 12V ACC feed from the fuse box with an EZ Tap and just run a separate wire from the fuse box to your head units red power wire. Your fused B+ red wire from the wiring harness will connect to your head units yellow wire and black wire goes to ground. Aftermarket electronics are not vehicle wiring intuitive. Even though our trucks have a red wire on the battery it doesn’t go to the red wire on the new radio. Red is ACC power on virtually all aftermarket radios/head units and yellow is constant 12V battery power. Hope this helps.