2016 RAM 2500 6.7 Turbio Charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken Clifton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
I had my 2016 ram 2500 6.7 Cummings Turbio Charger replaced at the stealer. It was still under extended warranty. After driving the truck home and parking in garage, I got out and heard this ting ting ting sounds. Took it back, they said not turbo Charger but DEF pump trying to clean carbon. No inspection was done, they did not hear the sounds. I think it is the actuator on Turbo charger, but I need help from someone who has heard this sounds and can tell what it is.I can’t attach the audio file here for some reason,

OP
OP
Ken Clifton

Ken Clifton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
The ting ting ting sounds slowly stops after about 5 minutes…maybe time foe the engine to cool???

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Usually. Every truck I've owned, after a long drive, makes some metallic sounds as the exhaust cools off.

OP
OP
Ken Clifton

Ken Clifton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
I agree. I purchased this truck new in 2016. I have never heard this sound until Turbo Charger was changed. If I knew where the TC is physically located, I would get under truck and take a video of it to see if it was TC or not. Thanks for your reply

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's on the passenger side at the bottom of the engine compartment just off the side of the block. You can't really see it well without removing the air intake piping.

The tinging you hear is likely the metal contracting as it cools off. I hear it on mine all the time. It's usually the downpipe right behind the turbo cooling down. The actuator isn't going to be moving when the truck is off.

OP
OP
Ken Clifton

Ken Clifton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
Thanks much. I will see what I can see

OP
OP
Ken Clifton

Ken Clifton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
I recorded the sound truck was making in my garage. I sent it to Dealer, they said bring it back, never heard a truck make that sounds.