2016 Tradesman remote start help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wanting to add oem remote start to my 2016 Tradesman. I have alfaobd and a mx+. Have looked at the threads and totally confused. Here are my questions:

Can I add oem remote start with tip key or do I have to have keyless start?

Can I use a 2017 oem kit (with built in antenna) to add remote start or do I have to get a 2016?

Once installed, what do I need to change with alfaobd?

Thanks in advance.

17RedSled

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey man. I just did this to my 2016 Tradesman. No new antenna module needed. To begin, check your upper radiator support to see if the harness to support the hood latch is there. If so, you can purchase the hood latch, the key overlays for your tip key and program the info necessary via ALFAOBD and you will be set.

If you do not have the wiring like I did, you have another option... the C1 connector for the BCM located inside the truck under the kick panel is where to start. After removing that plug you would have to ground pin #11 by a ground wire, purchase the key overlays for your tip key, and make the changes necessary through Alfaobd.

I just completed this process yesterday and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I have new hood latch and will install. When programming the tip keys, did you use the old pin or does the new 2017 rf module have a different pin? I guess what Im asking is do you still use the original pin to program the tip keys?

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Gary, what @17RedSled Is saying is that you do not need to replace your 2016 RF module. Just install the fob overlays, ground pin 11 on the BCM and reprogram with AlphaOBD.
I currently have an aftermarket remote start on my 15 3500 but am getting ready to move to the OEM setup so that the HVAC system will integrate with the remote start. That and less wires under the dash...

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK one question, how does the RF module receive the signal with no antenna? The 2016 module that I have does not have an antenna. It is also listed as not capable on other threads. That is why Iwas going to replace with 2017.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
OK one question, how does the RF module receive the signal with no antenna? The 2016 module that I have does not have an antenna. It is also listed as not capable on other threads. That is why Iwas going to replace with 2017.
I suspect the non-antenna remote start would work as well as the plain lock/unlock function. Also about the same as the 3XL aftermarket system as it needs to see 3 lock signals to trigger. For me the most difficult part is going to be pin 11. My plan is to run a dedicated wire all the way to the new hood latch switch.

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I installed the hood latch switch, programmed the hood latch and remote start with Alfaobd. Does NOT work. Next step?

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Does pressing the remote start button do anything? Also did you do the reset on the RF module? [I’m just guessing here]
I did go out to my truck today to see what would happen when pressing the remote start button, the instrument panel lit up.

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Panel lights up also but nothing else. Did not do anything to RF module.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Panel lights up also but nothing else. Did not do anything to RF module.

What steps did you do with alphaobd?

Did you program new fobs or just add new overlays to your existing fobs?

Does only the dash light up or do the doors lock and turn/park lamps flash also?

Have you driven your truck yet and had a couple of key cycles?

Here is a link to instructions I made for adding remote start when I did mine

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xQvdHVTgRwKQRKSBh1K2rkCqg5dlpSi0

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Yep, remote start won’t work unless you reset the RF hub using OBD.

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What steps did you do with alphaobd? Added the hood latch and added remote start.

Did you program new fobs or just add new overlays to your existing fobs? new overlays

Does only the dash light up or do the doors lock and turn/park lamps flash also? Just dash.

Have you driven your truck yet and had a couple of key cycles? Have not driven.

My RF module is P/N 68245480AF which from other posts does not have remote start? Do
I need to change the RF module? I have one from 2017 68319680AE but if I install, what pin do I use? the original for my truck?

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What steps did you do with alphaobd? Added hood latch and remote start.

Did you program new fobs or just add new overlays to your existing fobs? New overlays.

Does only the dash light up or do the doors lock and turn/park lamps flash also? Only dash light.

Have you driven your truck yet and had a couple of key cycles? No

My RF module is a 68245480AE which from other posts won't do remote start?
I have a 2017 RF module 68319680AE which is what your post says I need. If I change the RF module, which pin do I use, my original? (I don't have the pin or remotes from 2017 Module).

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What steps did you do with alphaobd? Added hood latch and remote start.

Did you program new fobs or just add new overlays to your existing fobs? New overlays.

Does only the dash light up or do the doors lock and turn/park lamps flash also? Only dash light.

Have you driven your truck yet and had a couple of key cycles? No

My RF module is a 68245480AE which from other posts won't do remote start?
I have a 2017 RF module 68319680AE which is what your post says I need. If I change the RF module, which pin do I use, my original? (I don't have the pin or remotes from 2017 Module).

From what I've seen the 17/18's you could just add the overlay because the previous years didn't have the contact in the non remote start fobs. I do remember seeing that pre 17/18 truck's could be programmed for remote start without changing the rf hub.

Try doing the reflash/replace on the rf hub. Then try again. If the lights flash and horn honks and still doesn't start take it for a drive. Then try it again.

If you replace the rf hub you'll need the pin for that one

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well went to the dealer today asking for the pin to reset the RF module. They told me they had to pull radio to get a number off it. They then went on the computer and entered radio number and vin. Gave me a 4 digit pin. I asked if this is the pin I need to reset the RF module? They say that's the one. Try Alfaobd to reset RF module and it says failed incorrect pin. Did they give me wrong pin, or is there more than one pin?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Well went to the dealer today asking for the pin to reset the RF module. They told me they had to pull radio to get a number off it. They then went on the computer and entered radio number and vin. Gave me a 4 digit pin. I asked if this is the pin I need to reset the RF module? They say that's the one. Try Alfaobd to reset RF module and it says failed incorrect pin. Did they give me wrong pin, or is there more than one pin?

Sounds like it. Sounds like they gave you the security pin for the radio. If they won't give it to you or end up wanting to charge you more than $15 you can get it yourself. A bunch of members have used a app called Chrysler pin puller. You buy credits, I think it takes $15 worth and will pull the pin from the rf hub. So you'd used your obd reader to get it. There is a thread on it. At this point I don't believe alfaobd has the ability to retrieve the code. I think he maybe working on it. I thought I remember seeing a option for it under the rf hub menu.

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
The vehicle PIN is different than the radio PIN.

You’ll need the vehicle pin to do anything with the RF hub...

The radio PIN is used when you’re moving radios from one vehicle to another.

OP
OP
Greg Harbaugh

Greg Harbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went back to dealer today and got the vehicle pin and reset the RF Module. Now truck tries to remote start but says hood open. I have the replacement latch installed and hood is closed. Hood latch is enabled in Alfaobd, I tried both the 500 ohm and 1000 ohm settings. I rechecked the connection at the latch. What do I check now?

Last edited:

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Went back to dealer today and got the vehicle pin and reset the RF Module. Now truck tries to remote start but says hood open. I have the replacement latch installed and hood is closed. Hood latch is enabled in Alfaobd, I tried both the 500 ohm and 1000 ohm settings. I rechecked the connection at the latch. What do I check now?
You are going to have to confirm the wire actually runs all the way to the BCM pin 11.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Since you have a tradesman it's highly unlikely that you had the hood latch harness already installed on your truck. Did you ground pin 11 at the bcm?

Tapatalk isn't allowing me to upload pics right now but here is a link for the instructions for installing a remote start on a 17/18 ram. This will show you where pin 11 is if you don't know.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/docs/82215553.pdf

To ground pin 11 without having the correct harness you find the wire coming out of pin 11 (purple w/a blue chaser if I remember right), cut the wire or tap onto it with another wire and ground it anywhere. Only "issue" doing it this way is you'll be able to start it with the hood open.