2017 2500 6.4 shift window displays D 1+4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Memo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This just happened, no warning of any kind, it has 64,000 miles. When this was displayed the check engine light came on and it seems like it is in limp mode, engine reves up but can't go any faster than 10-20 mph.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks in advance!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been in limp mode plenty of times but have never gotten a CEL or the 1+4 display you note but my truck is 2014 so maybe Ram is passing along more info when the trannys go (nice since it's unfortunately not rare). I've been through two (38K and 90K miles) and am currently at 125K doing okay.

Assuming you have a 6spd? I believe that was still the one in 2017 - 66rfe. These trannys are somewhat notorious for valve body problems and that is the most likely scenario in your case. Hopefully so as that is a lot cheaper than rebuilding/replacing the entire thing. If you search the forums you'll find tons of threads discussing problems and options for upgrading the valve body, assuming that's the problem. Have you gotten any codes read? Did it go back to normal after turning it off/on?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
first check fluid level
Get the codes read

LIMP mode could mean that the tail end of the trans is burnt or worn at the clutch plates and will need to be rebuilt.
Hopefully it's just a solenoid or the plate that holds them in place is bent.
Whoever you get to rebuild the trans make sure you get a kit to replace the week spots in this trans, and there's lots of them.

These notes are written by people that have experienced Limp Mode

OP
OP
M

Memo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The code is P0750 SHIFT SOLENOID A it does have the 66RFE transmission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The code is P0750 SHIFT SOLENOID A it does have the 66RFE transmission.

I did some quick Googling and it looks like people have mixed results with replacing the solenoid. Many find damage when they open it up. I'd probably tear into it if you have the skills/knowledge or get it into a shop. I don't think you'll know anything for sure until it's opened up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007