2017, Changed Roof Console, now map lights are dim and flicker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricci427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed a new console so I would have the garage door opener, my old one only had map lights, and the map lights were regular bulbs.

The new console has factory standard LED which are dim, not even as bright as the regular bulb in the console I removed, and flicker constantly when on.

Does anyone know of a simple fix for this, maybe switch out the LED's ? There was a video on you tube of someone putting in different LED and gluing things in place.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Flicker is usually a loose or bad wire connection. I've seen wires get pinched during reassembly. Start there.
I put red LED's in and they are plenty bright plus they don't ruin your night vision.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Seems as if the stock boards that provide the LED lights in these overhead consoles have a known issue where they over time begin to flicker. Mine did it after 6 years and then only one of them flickered. The fix is apparently you remove the console and replace the little sub assembly with an LED (from the factory they are not bulbs) on it with 194 sized LED bulbs. There are several U-tube videos on this subject I recently found on this forum. And my fix was exactly as shown in the u tube videos. The sub assemblies from the factory simply plug into a socket in the overhead console that was really designed to accept a 194 series bulb.

After doing this fix, I really think the flickering issue is the light assembly just gets a crappy connection in the socket.

17HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what console did you install, do you have any pictures