Overhead console light issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lttlcheeze

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2012 Ram 1500,Crew Cab, Big Horn
Other notes: no aftermarket alarm, no interior LEDs all incandescent
-pics attached of my style of dimmer switch & overhead console

The overhead lights in my truck have always acted like they are supposed to until recently, so as far as I know these is the correct functions (all of these refer to the headlights being on):
1. Dimmer switch all the way to the left: Dash lights really dim, overhead lights stay off when doors open but will come on when clicked(pushed)
2. Dimmer switch mid-range: Dash lights variable from dim to bright, overhead lights turn on when doors opened, and when clicked
3. Dimmer switch high: Dash lights bright, overhead lights same function as mid-range
4. Dimmer switch all the way to the right: Dash lights bright, overhead lights on clicking them makes no difference

For about a year my overhead lights would only come on when the doors were opened with #2 or #3, or with the doors closed #4 works, nothing when clicked.
The rear dome light has acted the same as the front overhead lights, and for a much longer time the visor-mirror lights haven't worked (could be bulbs tho).

I talked to the dealer, they said the overhead console was going up and would need to be replaced ($300+).

I bought a used overhead console ($60) and now they don't come on at all with #2 or #3, won't come on when the doors are opened, but will come on with #4 but only when clicked.
(Just realized I didn't check the rear dome light or visor-mirror lights)

A. I assume the issue may be the white push button switch (under the clear lens) for the overhead lights. Has anyone sourced those anywhere?
-I found some online, but couldn't verify they would work with my truck
B. Or does anyone know what the issue is besides those switches, and how to fix it? (without spending $300 at the dealer)

Attachments

• Ram Dimmer Switch.jpg
    Ram Dimmer Switch.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Ram Overhead Console.jpg
    Ram Overhead Console.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 10

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont know if this will help but your symptoms sound kinda close to the issue I had...I found the answer in my case from another posting somewhere(another forum).i was about a day away from ordering a light switch when I came across the answer to my issue.....I dont know how to post the link to it but I did copy/paste the heading of the post i responded to here.
You gotta search that/this.its also under my name of postings..
Can someone explain how to copy a posting link to/for me?

Overhead courtesy lights work, sort of​

Do your vanity lights work in the visors?sporadically maybe?
I'm assuming you have them,I dont what vehicles do or dont.
Try unplugging them and see if the overhead console lights work properly......if so there's your problem I bet.
Black wire on mine chaffed through drivers side.
At least you could rule that out anyways if you find out differently.
Hope this helps.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To copy the link to a post, right click on the post #, select copy link address, and then right click in new post, select paste. :cool:

Thank you sir...learn something new everyday....now I just gotta remember it....lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just highlight the wanted or needed words

Then i press CTRL & c , to copy it

Then i press CTRL & v , to paste it

sun visors lights

Hardracer