2017 Limited 1500 Rear Coils/Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deeuubee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems, the more I learn, the less I know :)

I'm trying to set this up for towing and can't decide if I should/need to change the rear coils.

I bought the truck new, so I know no one has made any changes.

I printed out a build sheet of my VIN from a web link, but it lists the options without codes.

Even with 250 lbs of camper top on back, it sits 2" higher than the front F 36" R 38" ground to bottom of fender.

Is it possible that I have factory heavy duty springs?

There are seven different rear coil spring part numbers listed for my VIN number.

I have front and rear springs listed under "optional equipment" on the sheet.

Is there any way to find out if these are a stiffer spring or what the spring rate is?

I don't have my toy-hauler yet, so I can't tell how much it will go down when attached.

With 350 lbs of tongue weight from my boat (600 lb payload with camper shell), it only drops a little more than an inch.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all the trucks have a rake to them 2 inches is about right.

it is unlikely you have anything that isn't standard unless it is an outdoorsman or rebel and even still, the rears should be the same.

dropping an inch with 350 lbs seems about right, if you don't like the ride you can always go to to a stiffer spring depending on what your towing.

https://tuftruck.com/products-results/?part_make=7&part_model=117&part_year=69

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are seven different rear coil spring part numbers listed for my VIN number.

I have front and rear springs listed under "optional equipment" on the sheet.
The factory build sheet list each spring individually, they differ depending on if your truck which config: CC, QC, RC, bed length, 2/4 WD and engine that's why they're listed as optional. As noted the Rebel and Outdoorsman also have different springs. Unlike Ford there is no options that changed to heavier duty springs on the Gen4 Ram
If your towing heavy you'll want to consider either air bags or heavier springs.

OP
OP
Deeuubee

Deeuubee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks all, I decided to try out sumo springs. I've just had no luck with air bags and leaks over the decades. Besides, I really like the cushy stock spring ride when not loaded. I'm gonna load it to the max and tow the boat to the scales this weekend. I'll have the weight loaded and some highway time to see how it tows loaded.

OP
OP
Deeuubee

Deeuubee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an update...
The sumo springs are great! They barely touch the axle plate, so I still have a cushy ride when unloaded.
With 360 lbs of tongue weight, it only dropped 3/4" and rides firmer with no clunking over bumps.
I would recommend them to anyone.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update...
The sumo springs are great! They barely touch the axle plate, so I still have a cushy ride when unloaded.
With 360 lbs of tongue weight, it only dropped 3/4" and rides firmer with no clunking over bumps.
My favorite ride was adjust on the fly, airlift 1000HD in coil springs, with onboard compressor and wireless receiver module. ~$650 with 2 rancho quick lift leveling struts for the front. That truck could handle more weight in the 5'7 bed than the 2500 I was with, 2 years newer, 6.4L. I watched his tail squat when they loaded him up so I pumped up the bags to 50 lbs. Didn't squat at all noticeably, and it was like there was nothing back there. Great set up IMHO. thing was a BEAST

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update...
Still liking the sumo springs? I’m interested in purchasing a set for my truck and plan on using them for off-roading to aid in preventing a harsh bottom out.

OP
OP
Deeuubee

Deeuubee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, they have worked better than expected. That 360 TW was in addition to maxing out the payload.
It handled the weight so well that I haven't felt the need to put the stiffer springs on.
They act like helper springs. Easy to put on too. Didn't even jack up the truck, just crawled under and put them on.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Just crawled out from under the truck after putting on the sumo springs. I did the jack the truck and remove the wheel method and other than not being able to use a ratchet it was an easy install.
I won't be able to test them for towing for a couple of weeks but looking forward to it.
edit:
Did some errands today and unloaded I don't feel any difference in the ride.

Last edited: