2017 outdoorsman with hemi egg smell???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi i just purchased my first hemi powered ram and when on highway after accelerating to pass another car you can smell a rotten egg smell. Is that normal? I test drove an 08 durango with the hemi and noticed the same smell after some hard acceleration.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Weird. I've never smelled this on a vehicle with catalytic converter.

Now my Camaro had no cats and she stunk while sitting at a light!

Crawgator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My opinion, you shouldn't smell any exhaust in the truck especially when you are traveling at a rate of speed. Does it only smell when you excellerate? Think about it, the exhaust exits at the back of the truck. Maybe leak somewhere?? My .02. By the way, no smell in my 2017 Rebel, 10,000 miles..Good luck

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Rooten egg smell from the exhaust indicates a serious problem with the cat.
if you can smell it insie the cabin then there is a exhaust leak too.
Have a look here:
Chris

OP
OP
W

Wonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rooten egg smell from the exhaust indicates a serious problem with the cat.
if you can smell it insie the cabin then there is a exhaust leak too.
Have a look here:
Chris
I recently took a trip 4 hrs at 100 kmh and smelt it a couple times but only on our return trip not on way there.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is also a possibility that your battery is over charging and the battery has been boiling. It sometimes has a rotten egg smell as well.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Its sulphur. Thats why batteries can smell like that, sulphuric acid. I agree you shouldn't smell your own exhaust. Maybe you were smelling it from the car in front of you or it could have been those hard boiled eggs you ate washed down with some beer coming out of you....:D

Eline24lenny

Reaction score
Ram Year
2o12
Engine
5.7L
Its sulphur. Thats why batteries can smell like that, sulphuric acid. I agree you shouldn't smell your own exhaust. Maybe you were smelling it from the car in front of you or it could have been those hard boiled eggs you ate washed down with some beer coming out of you....:D
I've had this problem from day one when you accelerate you get a rotten egg smell it doesn't happen all the time I didn't think that was normal either I don't know it passes emissions every year. Mine is a 2o12

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
Had both issues mentioned above in diffo vehicles.
Old Volvo with an external voltage regulator on alternator went bad. Was sending 28 volts to the battery. Popped the hood one day chasing the smell and the battery was almost bursting at the seams it was so swollen and overcharged. Reeked like a rotten egg factory, if a rotten egg factory actually existed.

Another vehicle has the cats clogging up and would really reek when I pushed it hard. Stank the same. Punched out the cats and truck stopped stumbling and stinking.

Any time you've got a stink like that you've got a problem. In surprised anyone said it's normal and don't worry bout it. I'd be doing some investigating.

Next time you smell it will over immediately if you can and pop your hood and check your battery voltage with a multi meter. Or by one of those cheapo deals you plug into your cig lighter that gives a display of battery voltage. Shouldn't ever be over 14.2 ish.
Also check that your cats are not flowing red hot. They're plugged and you're possibly running rich as well.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Been there and done that on a Ram 5.7. It was a horrible stink truck! had it flushed,Etc etc...never helped,I got rid of it and traded up one year both new trucks when I bought them 14 models. The 14 I have no stink what so ever....Google casting debri.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca