2017 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi 44k miles Leaking oil already???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE HAMMER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just noticed this the other day. Cleaned my K&N filter on Saturday and noticed after I moved it out of the garage a drop of oil on the concrete. Also noticed a couple drops on concrete where I park it normally on the side of house.

Oiled did not come from air filter as I cleaned and oiled it in a pan out of garage.

I don't drive this thing hard
I don't tow
I don't take it off road much beside a little hunting gravel roads

Will Dodge address this?

Anyone with experience I would appreciate your input.

Regards

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Easiest thing to do would be to call the dealership and see what they say or just hop underneath and track the source. Oil leak dosnt automatically mean catastrophic failure. Could be a bad oil filter seal, dipstick O ring etc. Many reasons for oil leaks.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Just remember when you see the leak, make sure its not coming from someplace higher up. People often see the wet spot near a gasket or whatever and assume its bad but in reality it came from above it.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Possible intake manifold bolts loose & leaking from there. Mine were way loose, leak traveled down wiring harness & finally hit the floor at back of trans pan. Trans cooler lines were notorious on the earlier DS trucks

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Was the oil changed lately? Changing the oil filter on hemis results in a lot of spilled oil, or possibly the oil pan drain plug is leaking. Are you still under 60K miles?

OP
OP
THE HAMMER

THE HAMMER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the oil changed lately? Changing the oil filter on hemis results in a lot of spilled oil, or possibly the oil pan drain plug is leaking. Are you still under 60K miles?

No, it is actually due now for a oil change. Yes, still under 60k miles. At 45k now.

OP
OP
THE HAMMER

THE HAMMER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your guys input. I'm gonna really look into it today after work. I will start with the simplest source/explanation first...oil filter gasket and drain plug. And then if I see anything else follow the trail to the source.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you're having trouble tracing it I find cleaning the engine bay and any oil off the engine followed by a drive down a dusty road makes the source a lot more visible.

OP
OP
THE HAMMER

THE HAMMER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update...

Crawled under the truck Wednesday and found the culprit. Oil filter was leaking so I tightened it up a bit and done.

Now I’ll have to remind the guys that change my oil to make sure it’s good and tight next time (but not too tight)

Thanks for the input guys! Problem solved!

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have found the the small oil filters for the newer trucks loosen off on their own. I would crank them down and come oil change time they were loose (not leaking but close).

When I started using the larger pre 2013 filters on my truck (Fram Ultra XG2) they don't loosen off anymore. They stay as tight as I installed it right through until removal.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I would rather fight to get a filter off than deal with one that loosened up on it's own. Which is why I tighten by hand as much as I can, then use a band wrench to give it another 1/4 turn.