2019 Bighorn overheating at low speed 5.7 V8 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannyb545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Bighorn overheating at low speed 5.7 V8 Hemi. Hey my truck is overheating at street speeds (25-30mph) I have had the air dam replaced as per recall X96. It runs just fine on the freeway, but occasionally I get a whiff of coolant. The temp has overheated to 257 but only for about 30 seconds and when I park it the fan is running hard. I did top off the coolant this winter as it was low. Any Ideas????

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2019 Bighorn overheating at low speed 5.7 V8 Hemi. Hey my truck is overheating at street speeds (25-30mph) I have had the air dam replaced as per recall X96. It runs just fine on the freeway, but occasionally I get a whiff of coolant. The temp has overheated to 257 but only for about 30 seconds and when I park it the fan is running hard. I did top off the coolant this winter as it was low. Any Ideas????

Are they both working? The engine mounted clutch fan tends to do the heavy lifting, but at low engine speeds near idle, the electric fan kicks in to lend a hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dannyb545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No fan mounted on the engine just the electric on the radiator can't see the air dam to see if its open or closed

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I tried to look up the schematic so see what fan arrangement came on your truck, it shows a 2019 Bighorn as being 5th gen. I think I maybe was confused because this is the 4th Gen forum.

Is yours the Ram Classic, 4th Gen or the Bighorn, 5th gen? I guess the 5th gen is electric fan only?

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If a vehicle overheats at low speed but is fine at higher speeds, my first suspicion is always the fan.
- higher speeds require more power and thus more cooling, but higher speeds also means more air is being forced through the radiator
- lower speeds require less power and thus less cooling, but rely more on the fans to pull air through the radiator
With that said I don't have much personal experience with the active grill shutters. I would make sure those are working properly.