2017 washed away in a flood no crank no start, no connection to pcm.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrispy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Hi to everyone in Dodge Country, I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 which got washed away in a flood. It won't crank, I have no connection to pcm, windows don't roll down or up and there is an error message on the display cluster. I removed the fuse box and reconnected, I also replaced the pcm but no change.
Please help, not sure where to start next.
Tia.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need to start with the very basics and check where you have power. Do you have a test light and multimeter? What is your mechanic ability and knowledge of electrical systems....don't have to be an expert but at least understand the basics (not saying this in a bad way at all).
Start at the battery and make sure it has power. Then trace power to the TPIM ("fuse box") and ECM. If you have 12 volt power start checking the grounds.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP: Before U crank that truck: U need to drain all fluids and replace: This includes the transfer case, and both differentials, oil, radiator. It being a Flood Vehicle, U would have no idea if there was an intrusion. Also includes transmission. But your money, yer wallet, you do as U see fit.

Once U got all fluids changed out, tranny being the last, then U can go down the rabbit hole ref what electrical gremlins exist.

All IMHO.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
To add to turkeybird56’s comment—after fluids and such, pop open every single electrical junction connector and clean the connectors thoroughly before reassembling. A touch of dielectric grease may even be a good idea. If there’s water or mud in those connections you’ll go crazy trying to trace electrical issues.

best,
DG

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I hope that you did not try to Start the engine without pulling the Spark Plugs.
Many people Hydro Lock their engines, when they have water on top of the pistons.
Water will not compress & things will get bent or worse

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope that you did not try to Start the engine without pulling the Spark Plugs.
Many people Hydro Lock their engines, when they have water on top of the pistons.
Water will not compress & things will get bent or worse
Hope not.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck is totaled / junk. Hope you had insurance. Was flood fresh or salt / brackish water? If salt / brackish, don't bother spending a dime on it, as things will start to "Green up" in a bout 6 weeks. or sooner.

I did vehicle recovery for a living a while back and salt water immersed vehicles just went straight to the crusher after the insurance payout. Even bone yards didn't want t touch them.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Need to start with the very basics and check where you have power. Do you have a test light and multimeter? What is your mechanic ability and knowledge of electrical systems....don't have to be an expert but at least understand the basics (not saying this in a bad way at all).
Start at the battery and make sure it has power. Then trace power to the TPIM ("fuse box") and ECM. If you have 12 volt power start checking the grounds.
You have insurance I presume, go put a claim in, a flooded truck will be a right off .
I would think every connection, computer will have to be checked

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Washed away in a flood? Sounds like a call for a insurance claim since the rates jump up every 6 months these days anyways

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks like a write-off to me.

Depends. Salt water? Fresh water?

Fresh water, you may have a chance, a slim chance. Salt water, I would say F U B A R.

As has been said, every connector will need cleaned and protected. All submerged electroncs and circuit boards, same same.

If you've already put power on them, might be SOL.

Drain all fluids and replace.

Best of luck on the repairs.

Looks like OP is a one and done so far.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll assume you did all the draining & refilling. Cylinders as well(draining). There’s more than 1 fuse box. If you didn’t clear the cylinder’s . It may just be a parts truck now.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi to everyone in Dodge Country, I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 which got washed away in a flood. It won't crank, I have no connection to pcm, windows don't roll down or up and there is an error message on the display cluster. I removed the fuse box and reconnected, I also replaced the pcm but no change.
Please help, not sure where to start next.
Tia.
Insurance will likely total it. Might want to go that route instead of sinking money into fixing it. Could be very extensive with electrical issues and water damaged seats and carpet and engine damage.