2018 2500 electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NTX Mopar Family

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have read of a similar issue but have no found a solution to the problem I am experiencing. 2018 2500 CC Cummins started going crazy a couple weeks ago. I started the truck on a Monday morning and had every light on the dash flashing. PARKSENSE UNAVAILABLE, SERVICE ELECTRONIC BRAKING SYSTEM, TPMS, traction control, check engine, etc. all flashing on and off.

Park brake light is on sometimes, occasional low oil or coolant message. My tach and all lower PRND lights will go off and then the truck will not restart for a few hours. Sometimes the tach shuts off and drops to 0 while driving. Once that happens the truck will not recognize the key for a few hours and will not restart during that time. The OBD port keeps shutting on and off so it does no good to connect a scan tool.

Recently the exhaust brake will turn on randomly while driving. Have had zero luck with Local dealership.

46k, bought new, not abused in the slightest.
I just put brand new batteries with no change in symptoms. The truck actually runs just as normal (provided the key registers) but is throwing error codes left and right.

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_074418646_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211013_074418646_HDR.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9

Spud66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had same issue with tons of nonsense codes on ram4500. Put a charger on and still same.

Checked with a fluke and had 2 bad batteries. When I isolated them one would charge at 1.5 volts and the other 10.5 it wouldn't crank just a click.

My other car (charger 2012) would start and cycle the gauges like a bounce. With the old bad battery it would drive me nuts the way the speedo would bounce like a superball running out of energy at startup making click noises. Battery was 9 years old and finally croaked. When I put new one in gauges worked fine when started.

Not sure of spec but should probably be above 12vdc with lights on. Let us know.

OP
OP
N

NTX Mopar Family

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I tried charging/checking my stock batteries and didn't have any luck. Dropped $500 on 2 brand new batteries(date code was 10/21) and still have the same plus more issues. Has been at a diesel shop and it is throwing 43 separate codes. They can't figure out what is wrong or why. Truck still runs great despite the codes.....assuming the key registers with the security and will start.

Ratrod65

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Epress crew cab
Engine
3.6 Penastar
I am going through similar issues. Bought truck brand new end of 2018 first issues day after it left the lot. Taken back multiple times always the dealer blames me for something I did wrong. Excuse me, bought it drove it, me bad. Now the truck has 58,000 miles has been in the shop multiple times for the same issues drive by wire, random messages flashing. No codes when I take it in, yet I have the messages saved from photos and the uconnect companion app. Very frustrated. Radio replaced, ecm reprogrammed multiple times, now replaced. Crank case sensor replaced. Truck sitting at dealer for the last two weeks straight. The truck has sit at the dealership longer than it has sit in my own driveway. Does not matter if it is wet or dry or if just highway driving or pulling 5th wheel or heavy loads. Can't depend on it. 5th brand new Chrysler product since 2014. May very well be my last. Love the truck, very disappointed with the way it has been handled. Good luck getting it fixed.

OP
OP
N

NTX Mopar Family

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks. Definitely a disappointing experience from either side. My fear is exactly as you note for dumping parts and money into the truck and not ever finding a solution! It still runs great but the Electrical problems are definitely a scary thing.

Respectrum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Having the same issue in my 2017 2500. Dealer has no idea what it is. Coincidentally also 43 codes when you scan it. Problem goes away with a rest and comes back within 100 miles. Seems to happen more often on very bumpy roads. See the traction control light come up first and then everything else after that.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am going through similar issues. Bought truck brand new end of 2018 first issues day after it left the lot. Taken back multiple times always the dealer blames me for something I did wrong. Excuse me, bought it drove it, me bad. Now the truck has 58,000 miles has been in the shop multiple times for the same issues drive by wire, random messages flashing. No codes when I take it in, yet I have the messages saved from photos and the uconnect companion app. Very frustrated. Radio replaced, ecm reprogrammed multiple times, now replaced. Crank case sensor replaced. Truck sitting at dealer for the last two weeks straight. The truck has sit at the dealership longer than it has sit in my own driveway. Does not matter if it is wet or dry or if just highway driving or pulling 5th wheel or heavy loads. Can't depend on it. 5th brand new Chrysler product since 2014. May very well be my last. Love the truck, very disappointed with the way it has been handled. Good luck getting it fixed.
Surprised you didn't lemon law them.

Sounds like a loose/intermittent connection somewhere. Likely a nightmare to find though.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Or bad ground cable. My daughter's Cruze would do things like that and found out out was a bad battery ground cable. Looked perfectly fine. Changed it and it all went away. It has a bad crimp to the cable. Would never know by looking at it. A bad ground will cause these kind of problems