2018 2500 Leaning 1" towards driver side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gsfitzsr

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
DLROMO,

The drivers side rear and front springs were changed by the dealer at first. This did not remedy the problem.

My media folder is now shared with everyone so PICS can be viewed.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's a lot of bow for factory springs. Looks like you need to add a lot more caster to the alignment to kick the bottom of the axle forward? It has too much negative caster now

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get your truck back and have it aligned to Thuren's specs. Your coils will bow because the axle spring perch isn't flat. The coil bow is normal with factory springs.

OP
OP
gsfitzsr

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
New request from FCA.

My dealership was to investigate a noisy rear axle which they confirmed was real in addition to the work above. I had to use the truck over the holiday weekend so I picked it up and planned to bring it back the following week. FCA stopped the investigation by the dealer saying they wanted to see my truck/payload weight before the work began, meaning I have to take my truck and RV to a local truck stop to have it weighed. I found documents from the RV manufacturer showing axle and hitch weights and emailed them to my dealer. Basically FCA told them these documents mean nothing and they want the truck and RV on a certified scale.

So next week after our weather clears I have to take time off, get my RV out of storage, drive about 15 miles, weigh it, drive back to storage lot, disconnect then home.

The fact that FCA stopped the dealer from even doing a visual inspection of the axle gears for signs of damage is just unprofessional in my opinion. I mean how much would it have cost to pull the differential cover and take a look inside? FCA is putting the burden on me the owner to first prove that I did not damage the axle before they even consider the claim.

My dealer has taken care of everything I've asked them to up to this point which included replacing the font axle housing which caused the original leaning issue.

I will post the response from FCA next week after my trip to the truck scale.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took my truck to the dealer about 1 month ago because I noticed it was leaning towards the driver side. A quick check with a tape measure showed 1" difference between the right and left fenders at the front. The dealer confirmed this and said they wanted to change the left rear coil spring. They ordered one, changed it and the problem still exists.

The dealer then ordered a front driver side spring and replaced it. Same problem.

The dealer contacted RAM and they are now changing the entire front axle housing.

I checked new trucks in their inventory and all 2500's are within 1/4 inch level at the front and rear wheel wells. My truck is lower than all new trucks by 1" on the drivers side. The passenger side is equal to new truck height. Whats baffling is you can measure across the front springs and the driver side is 13" and passenger 14". I can see nothing wrong with either shock tower. All top/bottom coil spring rubber spacers are in place.

The truck is having the axle housing changed this week.

Truck details:
2018 SLT 2500
15,500 miles since new
Cummins w/auto transmission
Stock Firestone tires.

Has anyone else had this issue with their 2500 and what was the remedy?

Thanks for any input or advice.

Greg
League City TX

they should of just swapped springs from side to side. would of only took 30min and it would of told them if it was a spring problem or not. they spent alot of time and effort to get the same answer

do you happen to get a photo of the cracked weld ?

alignment isnt rocket science on these trucks. toe around 0. caster around 5 on both sides. done

OP
OP
gsfitzsr

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
CJ,

Sorry no photos of the cracked welds. I looked for them but could not find them. The dealer did not offer up the axle housing for me to look at.

My dealer worked with FCA on the leaning issue and probably followed their direction when replacing springs. I'm glad they found the axle issue because it baffled me also.

Your right the alignment is straightforward. Right now the truck drives fine but I'm still arguing the noisy ring & pinion with FCA.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Myself and a few others have had the rear diff whining issue.. Some have had great deal;er support and had it fixed under warranty, myself and most others have simply been ignored. I first took mine in at 1800 mile son the odometer, after 4 trips,I finally PAID another shop to pull the diff cover and inspect.. Al I ever got from 2 different dealers was, " Yup its noisy" and Yup its normal because another truck does it" Shameful, very shameful support.
The fact that they want you to hitch up and weigh your trailer before even pulling a diff cover is beyond shameful.

OP
OP
gsfitzsr

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
As of SEP 17 the truck is at another dealer here in Houston. They acknowledged the rear axle whining noise and opened a case with FCA. Not sure why dealers open cases with FCA unless all warranty work has to be approved up front.

They have ordered the ring and pinion set plus some bearings, but forgot to get shims for the pinion, so the work is delayed until the parts arrive. I don't know yet how many bearings are being replaced but I need to talk with the shop foreman to get that answer probably.

I don't have a good feeling about the drive train in this truck after having both axles worked on in only 16K miles. Maybe I just got a pair of axles with defects and that's it.

I'll post the results of the ring & pinion work once it's complete.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Myself and a few others have had the rear diff whining issue.. Some have had great deal;er support and had it fixed under warranty, myself and most others have simply been ignored. I first took mine in at 1800 mile son the odometer, after 4 trips,I finally PAID another shop to pull the diff cover and inspect.. Al I ever got from 2 different dealers was, " Yup its noisy" and Yup its normal because another truck does it" Shameful, very shameful support.
The fact that they want you to hitch up and weigh your trailer before even pulling a diff cover is beyond shameful.
What did the ship you paid to have look at them say?

OP
OP
gsfitzsr

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Picked up the truck last Saturday. Had delays with ordering parts and near the last the mechanic found the pinion yoke had stripped threads from removal. In all it was in the shop about 3 weeks.

The axle noise is now different and makes more noise when coasting down vs accelerating. Also the pinion seal is leaking oil on my driveway. So back to the dealer this Wednesday.

One note: I went to the dealer the day before to check on the vehicle since I was in the area. I walked into the shop with my service advisor and thought I would ask the mechanic how things were going. He had disappeared so I asked my advisor to get him so I could ask him some questions. My advisor said he could tell me nothing about what happened because he did not disassemble the axle. Regardless I ask to speak with him anyway. He refused to speak to me, so I walked out and went home. I could see on his work cart the ring and pinion gear, all the bearings they changed and the damaged yoke.

I'll post again when once the truck is finally running to my satisfaction.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My gosh^^^

I have such a hatred for dealers first and then ALL the shady mechanics that seem so nice but still screw you in the end.

I tell ya,
it was easier to find A wife then it is a trustworthy mechanic. No joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Picked up the truck last Saturday. Had delays with ordering parts and near the last the mechanic found the pinion yoke had stripped threads from removal. In all it was in the shop about 3 weeks.

The axle noise is now different and makes more noise when coasting down vs accelerating. Also the pinion seal is leaking oil on my driveway. So back to the dealer this Wednesday.

One note: I went to the dealer the day before to check on the vehicle since I was in the area. I walked into the shop with my service advisor and thought I would ask the mechanic how things were going. He had disappeared so I asked my advisor to get him so I could ask him some questions. My advisor said he could tell me nothing about what happened because he did not disassemble the axle. Regardless I ask to speak with him anyway. He refused to speak to me, so I walked out and went home. I could see on his work cart the ring and pinion gear, all the bearings they changed and the damaged yoke.

I'll post again when once the truck is finally running to my satisfaction.
Jesus man. If they could get their dealers in line and just fix the issues. Ram would be #1 no doubt. This service makes it hard to get past. Great truck then the select few have these issues then get ****** around. I feel for you sorry you’re having to deal with this bs

Reactions: U&A

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Imagine where you'd be if you'd taken the advice back on page one.

OP
OP
gsfitzsr

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Picked up truck yesterday. The pinion seal leak is fixed it seems. It took a full week for my dealer to take care of this.

They replaced the drivers door window channel seal to stop the wind noise but this did nothing to fix it. Driving home I was pulling on the window frame at the top and the noise went away. I looked closer at the frame when I got home and this door is not closing as tight as the passenger door at the top so the seal doesn't even rest against the frame pillar. I will play with the door hinges to see if I can get it to close better at top. The technician stated the wind noise was fixed...... BS

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Picked up truck yesterday. The pinion seal leak is fixed it seems. It took a full week for my dealer to take care of this.

They replaced the drivers door window channel seal to stop the wind noise but this did nothing to fix it. Driving home I was pulling on the window frame at the top and the noise went away. I looked closer at the frame when I got home and this door is not closing as tight as the passenger door at the top so the seal doesn't even rest against the frame pillar. I will play with the door hinges to see if I can get it to close better at top. The technician stated the wind noise was fixed...... BS
Don’t think the hinges have adjustment in them. Pretty sure you gotta pull in the door. I’ve seen videos of it. Looks fun lol. Wait till you’re a little upset then go outside and yank on the door :)

OP
OP
gsfitzsr

gsfitzsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Well I ended up fixing the leak by putting a thin strip of foam tape behind the door seal at the top to push it more towards the pillar. The seal is now tight and no leaks can be heard on the highway.

I did find there are no adjustments in the door hinges, or not enough to make any difference.