2018 ram 1500 driver seat creaking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious, but is it normal for a truck that's only a year old to have the driver's seat start to creak whenever you sit in it? I'm guessing this is just attributed to normal wear and tear because I obviously use the driver's seat more than the passenger's. However, I'm wondering if it's simply just a spring inside the seat that I could spray some wd-40 on to help lubricate it and hopefully stop the noise because it does get a little annoying sometimes.

GMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does this on my 2016 at random times. Truck has 17k miles so excessive wear cant be the issue. Ill be watching this thread.

invisabiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 2018 Limited is doing It also. only 2000 miles and its annoying. it comes and go's maybe temp related? seems to come from the inside seat/back pivot area.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok we’ll see what other people say. I feel kind of lucky because I just now noticed the noise about a week ago and my truck already has 25,000 miles on it so I definitely drive it a lot.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's the bladder for the lumbar support. Mine seems to make more noise when it's empty, give it just a bit of air and the noise mostly goes away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the lumbar support definitely doesn't feel like it's going out so that's why I was first wondering if it's just a spring. However, how do you add air to it? Do you mean just simply adjust the setting so it's more firm?

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the lumbar support definitely doesn't feel like it's going out so that's why I was first wondering if it's just a spring. However, how do you add air to it? Do you mean just simply adjust the setting so it's more firm?

Yeah, I just use the up button a bit.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I just use the up button a bit.

Okay I'm beginning to suspect it isn't the lumbar support that's the issue because the noise is coming from the upper portion of where your back goes. I took a video of it to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about but this website apparently doesn't let you post them. Could I email it you if that would help?

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it's the bladder for the lumbar support. Mine seems to make more noise when it's empty, give it just a bit of air and the noise mostly goes away.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This! My 2018 did this until I added a small bit of lumbar pressure and now it's gone.

U1arunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay I'm beginning to suspect it isn't the lumbar support that's the issue because the noise is coming from the upper portion of where your back goes. I took a video of it to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about but this website apparently doesn't let you post them. Could I email it you if that would help?
Mine was coming from the upper portion as well. Fixed it now. Mine has only 1624 miles on it and when I first noticed it I was like WTF! LOL

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed this same issue in my 2018 Limited as well. Started after I had a rear bumper repair done at a local body shop and whomever did the repair moved the seat settings around completely. I will try the lumbar support idea and see if that does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine started doing this about a month ago. I've got 7k on it and it's a non-power seat. Mine sounds like it's coming from the area where the bottom and the back come together. It sounds like something might be loose and flexing a bit.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was coming from the upper portion as well. Fixed it now. Mine has only 1624 miles on it and when I first noticed it I was like WTF! LOL
I might have to take mine in to the dealer because I’ve adjusted the lumbar support to every setting it has and the sound never goes away or gets any quieter.

Seddy24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am noticing the same thing with my 2018 Big Horn Crew Cab, I have adjusted the lumbar support all the way up or down. This doesn't fix the noise, also it is more noticeable when the truck is cold, once it warms up it is harder to hear but it's still there if you listen for it. Super annoyed since I have had the truck for less than 6 months, I guess I will call the dealer and see what they say.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am noticing the same thing with my 2018 Big Horn Crew Cab, I have adjusted the lumbar support all the way up or down. This doesn't fix the noise, also it is more noticeable when the truck is cold, once it warms up it is harder to hear but it's still there if you listen for it. Super annoyed since I have had the truck for less than 6 months, I guess I will call the dealer and see what they say.

I tried messing with the lumbar support settings today, didn’t seem to make any difference. I still have to get the recent cruise control recall done and have one of my ramboxes adjusted under warranty so I will include this issue when I drop it off at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually think it’s the same problem for me as well because I never noticed the noise when it was warmer outside. Also, even though it has gotten colder, it hasn’t been cold enough for me to run the heater in my truck. I think what I might try doing is to set my heater on high then hit the remote start so it’s already warm when I get in and then turn it down and maybe that’ll reduce the noise. If not, I’ll see what the dealer says.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took my truck to the dealer this past Friday. Sat there in the waiting room for about an hour or so and then the service rep from the counter came over and told me I was all good to go. Luckily, I told him I wanted to verify it was fixed before I left and what do you know, the noise was still there, clear as day. They figured, after I showed the service tech the noise I was referring to, that it might be the seat cushion itself that needs to be replaced. However, given the fact that he thought he fixed the problem, it makes me wonder two things, what the heck was he doing for an hour or so with my seat and also, how certain is he that it's the seat cushion that's to blame? Why couldn't he have figured that out when he first heard the noise? Oh and it gets better. The seat cushion, IF that is the issue, had to be ordered and the only person who can approve of that kind of stuff wasn't working that day. So basically, I'm back to square one, waiting on that dealer to get back with me.

Seddy24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took my truck to the dealer this past Friday. Sat there in the waiting room for about an hour or so and then the service rep from the counter came over and told me I was all good to go. Luckily, I told him I wanted to verify it was fixed before I left and what do you know, the noise was still there, clear as day. They figured, after I showed the service tech the noise I was referring to, that it might be the seat cushion itself that needs to be replaced. However, given the fact that he thought he fixed the problem, it makes me wonder two things, what the heck was he doing for an hour or so with my seat and also, how certain is he that it's the seat cushion that's to blame? Why couldn't he have figured that out when he first heard the noise? Oh and it gets better. The seat cushion, IF that is the issue, had to be ordered and the only person who can approve of that kind of stuff wasn't working that day. So basically, I'm back to square one, waiting on that dealer to get back with me.

Seddy24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took it to the dealer and the said the lumbar support bag was deformed and something they had never seen before. They ordered a new one and replaced it the next day, so far so good!

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took it to the dealer and the said the lumbar support bag was deformed and something they had never seen before. They ordered a new one and replaced it the next day, so far so good!

That might be the issue with mine as well. Whenever I press on the seat cushion, you can actually faintly see that particular portion start to reinflate. I've scheduled another appointment at another dealer for Wednesday morning so we'll see how that goes.