2018 Ram 1500 fuel fill issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So recently I've been having issues where I can only get maybe half a gallon into my tank before the fuel nozzles click, which started happening out of nowhere. From half a tank it takes me almost 15min to fuel completely up and is a huge annoyance

I this an issue that can be covered under my warranty or is it an out of pocket issue

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So recently I've been having issues where I can only get maybe half a gallon into my tank before the fuel nozzles click, which started happening out of nowhere. From half a tank it takes me almost 15min to fuel completely up and is a huge annoyance

I this an issue that can be covered under my warranty or is it an out of pocket issue

This may be more than the steep fill tube issue. When I took mine in to get the new fill tube he asked if I was having problems with it filling, and other than some click-offs, I wasn't. He said if that was an issue that it needed to be brought in with a low tank so they can try a few things, then test it.

So I'd advise taking it in with a quarter/third tank, because they were going to have me come back (I had a full tank) until I convinced him it was the fuel nozzle getting stuck that was the main issue with mine.

There's a few components like the charcoal canister and a solenoid that can malfunction, or they can get filled with gas if you top off too much. Then they case the click-offs.

OP
OP
That_CAT_Guy

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This may be more than the steep fill tube issue. When I took mine in to get the new fill tube he asked if I was having problems with it filling, and other than some click-offs, I wasn't. He said if that was an issue that it needed to be brought in with a low tank so they can try a few things, then test it.

So I'd advise taking it in with a quarter/third tank, because they were going to have me come back (I had a full tank) until I convinced him it was the fuel nozzle getting stuck that was the main issue with mine.

There's a few components like the charcoal canister and a solenoid that can malfunction, or they can get filled with gas if you top off too much. Then they case the click-offs.
I'm sitting at half a tank now, and by the time wednesday comes around I'll be at a quarter. As far as getting stuck mine has never got stuck, just started filling maybe half a gallon at a time then clicking off

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I'm sitting at half a tank now, and by the time wednesday comes around I'll be at a quarter. As far as getting stuck mine has never got stuck, just started filling maybe half a gallon at a time then clicking off

Yes, sounds like they're going to have to do some troubleshooting with yours. When they put the new fill tube in I was fine. I can just click the pump on and it fills up no problem. My only problem, that started from the first time I filled up, is that the nozzle would get stuck and I'd have to fight it for about 15 minutes to get it out. I finally found a couple pumps that it seemed to work okay at and I'd try to always use those.

But the service tech said it may take a while to troubleshoot issues like yours. They just have to keep trying different things and see what's causing it not to fill.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi @That_CAT_Guy - If you do address this with your dealer and you are in need of any additional support for that process, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
That_CAT_Guy

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi @That_CAT_Guy - If you do address this with your dealer and you are in need of any additional support for that process, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

Thanks, the dealer is gonna handle it, says the issue is indeed under warranty and is a known issue they've delt with already

OP
OP
That_CAT_Guy

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, sounds like they're going to have to do some troubleshooting with yours. When they put the new fill tube in I was fine. I can just click the pump on and it fills up no problem. My only problem, that started from the first time I filled up, is that the nozzle would get stuck and I'd have to fight it for about 15 minutes to get it out. I finally found a couple pumps that it seemed to work okay at and I'd try to always use those.

But the service tech said it may take a while to troubleshoot issues like yours. They just have to keep trying different things and see what's causing it not to fill.

Tech took just a few minutes and came back and said they are gonna order a whole new tank and fill neck under warranty, mine was the 3rd truck hes seen that happen on, infact the one before mine had a collapsed tank

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same problem here, 2018, 12k miles. Just started doing this a few weeks ago, takes forever to fill a 32 gallon tank. Tried 4 different gas stations, same result.
Guess i gotta call the dealer when this Corona **** goes the hell away

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Thanks, the dealer is gonna handle it, says the issue is indeed under warranty and is a known issue they've delt with already

Thank you for the follow up, glad to hear you are being taken care of!

Same problem here, 2018, 12k miles. Just started doing this a few weeks ago, takes forever to fill a 32 gallon tank. Tried 4 different gas stations, same result.
Guess i gotta call the dealer when this Corona **** goes the hell away

If you are in need of any additional support when addressing this, please do not hesitate to send us a PM for further support!

Mark
RamCares

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Tech took just a few minutes and came back and said they are gonna order a whole new tank and fill neck under warranty, mine was the 3rd truck hes seen that happen on, infact the one before mine had a collapsed tank

Wow, I never heard of that before. Maybe that's what the service tech I was dealing with expected, he looked like he was pretty upset about it, and was relieved when I told him it was just getting stuck that was the problem. I wonder how a collapsed tank can happen? Thanks for the update.

OP
OP
That_CAT_Guy

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, I never heard of that before. Maybe that's what the service tech I was dealing with expected, he looked like he was pretty upset about it, and was relieved when I told him it was just getting stuck that was the problem. I wonder how a collapsed tank can happen? Thanks for the update.
Tank not breathing properly would be my guess

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Tank not breathing properly would be my guess

Just like a 5 gallon plastic gas can. If it's low, close it off tight when it's warm then store it outside in the cold over night. In the morning it will be collapsed.
Isn't that what we have a 32 gallon "jerry jug"?

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trip out! My 2019 Ram Classic started doing this while I was down in California. However, during the drive back up to Washington it did not happen.

I just filled up the tank and the nozzle continuously stopped again (in Washington). You can get a gallon or two in, then it stops like its full. I pulled the nozzle out a little bit and locked it in the handle at the middle notch (so its not at full pressure) and I was able to fill up without the constant stopping of the pump.

I have the smaller tank though

Still, it didn't do this the first 8k miles, now its coming up as an issue.

Bearhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This started with the first fill up on my 19 Classic. I was rear ended at about 4000 miles which did something to the fuel gage sensor and started the known issue of showing an empty tank all the time. The dealer replaced the fuel pump/sensor twice and finally resolved that issue. Since then it fills up just fine. Unrelated I’m sure, but a curious coincidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
That_CAT_Guy

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trip out! My 2019 Ram Classic started doing this while I was down in California. However, during the drive back up to Washington it did not happen.

I just filled up the tank and the nozzle continuously stopped again (in Washington). You can get a gallon or two in, then it stops like its full. I pulled the nozzle out a little bit and locked it in the handle at the middle notch (so its not at full pressure) and I was able to fill up without the constant stopping of the pump.

Carry it to the dealer and have them check the issue under warranty, and mention it being a known issue. That will get the techs looking into other issues about it

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi @sirguynate503 - I regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your truck. If you do end up addressing it with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
That_CAT_Guy

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck goes into the shop Monday morning, they got the parts in today but I work nights the next 3 days. Will update after its all said and done. Gonna get an oil change and tire rotate while its in there too

Neil Proulx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 2018 sport, with the 5.7. i was having a lot of problems filling my tank. even with the fuel nozzle throttled way back, so it was barely filling. it would click off. my problem came out of nowhere also.
was back and forth to the dealership. for a filler neck adjustment, didnt fix the issue. replace the filler neck, nope. check and blow air through the lines, nope. they finally replaced the fuel tank, that did fix the issue. all under warranty

RoadrunnerHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is an old issue with many brands. It is caused by the inlet valve on the tank going bad. Dealer should replace the whole tank under warranty as the valve is an integral part of the tank and not available as a separate part.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Depends. If it's not the fuel pump's nozzle pressure being too high, my first guess is that the tank vent is clogged not allowing air to escape as it's being filled with fuel.

I know of a case where spiders made a nest in the vent of a Hyundai and that was not deemed to be under warranty. Depending on what the actual cause is, only a visit to your dealer's service department will determine a warranty repair.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031534 miles.