2018 ram 1500 with 8.4 uconnect delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately I got told to **** off every which way I've tried to go. Lol. It's sad that a system like this cam ruin a truck. I at this point have had enough of looking at the screen. It's just a terrible eyesore. I've been looking at repair services myself, mainly a company called infotainment. I refuse to give the dealer my money if it's not covered.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, I've looked into infotainment. the cost of the repair is pretty pricey but certainly cheaper than the stealership. The screen replacement is actually easy to do if you can get a hold of the part.
you can find these screen units from unknown Chinese manufacturers but quality is hit and miss sometimes.

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah it was that getting ahold of the part and not a knockoff that got me. Only place I could find any was ebay. Maybe I'm getting old but there are too many rip offs on ebay or at least there used to be. I just sent mine off to infotainment. It was right at 650 but the gentleman I spoke with swore it was an actual lg and the newer version that doesn't melt itself. I'll post back the results when I get it back. Definitely not a fan of how ram picks and choses which ones that are out of warranty they will fix or not. Time wise mine is within the three years just not mileage. Seams they pick and chose which ones they will fix according to the weather or maybe even how that agents morning started.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do those screens get real hot?

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't speak for everyone's but mine certainly did. And there is no sunshine at night here so it was definitely self generated heat. Wether the screen itself or just the screen absorbing the heat from the system. Sometimes it was extremely hot for what it is. Even had passengers comment on the heat.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dads' 2018 BigHorn is having a radio issue with the touch screen but doesn't seem to be delaminating though. I've not tried to contact RAM or Uconnect; not sure it would do any good since he bought it used. I've looked into fixing it myself but the screen unit is $600+ and nobody seems to have them in stock.
I bought my 2018 used and the repair was covered 100%.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Jden45 sorry to hear you're still getting the run around. Mine was out of warranty by years (almost 2 months) and not miles and they covered it. Perhaps it was because I purchased it used and it was certified pre-owned.... Who knows but they should be covering yours in my opinion.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
At least your getting the new & improved version.
:favorites13:

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol. If that's even true. I just can't wait to get rid of this damn thing. No offense to anyone here that likes rams or dodges. I've owned a magnum (which I replaced the engine twice in on my dime) and now a ram that I've had for 12 months (already cost over 1000 between the radio and ****** front end steering and suspension). Not what they used to be, and I certainly won't be giving them another shot. I have nothing to say good about the company.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're judging the whole truck line of tens of thousands of trucks ...and your own truck on two isolated incidences that most people don't experience ...and letting it ruin your ownership experience. I know a $1000 bill tends to do that, but Rams are quite nice trucks on the whole. Class-leading many critics have suggested (including pretty unanimous truck of the year awards and things like that). Obviously any mechanical device with thousands of parts, can experience a few failures.

How about re-doubling your efforts, try other dealerships and continue talking to the folks at Ramcares? Get the area manager involved. Continue to be civil. Explain how you love Rams and want to be a long-time ram customer. Drag it out. Sometimes the person who comes out ahead is the one who wears the other down the longest/most. Drag it out and keep the conversation going. The fact that some have gotten theirs replaced outside of warranty should give hope.

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I completely understand and agree with what you said. I know any vehicle can have problems. Unfortunately I work in the auto industry so I see an abundance of issues that even come up before they are off the line. I wouldn't pass the judgment on the machine, it's the company and their response when it come to addressing a issue. This is the last response I received when I tried to reach out to uconnect through the contact option on their website.

"We are dedicated to producing a quality product and we want to thank you for bringing to our attention the concerns that you have with the touchscreen regarding your 2018 RAM 1500.

Our records show that you have contacted us by telephone on 8/2/2021 and after reviewing the files on this matter I do see that a diagnosis was already completed and the dealership has recommended a radio replacement.

You were also advised we would would be unable to assist with repair costs at this time. If you have repairs completed, we recommend saving any receipts/repair orders in the event a future recall is issued.

We cannot provide any further assistance on the matter. Any further questions or concerns will need to be discussed with your authorized dealership."

That's after a phone call, reaching out to ramcares through this forum, and attempting to email uconnect. Only reason I say attempting is because the contact link on the uconnect site emails chrysler. I see what your saying and I completely agree. But I still believe that when there is a problem and these are their responses, this is a bigger problem.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree it's rotten. That sucks. If it were me, I'm sure I would be way MORE pi$$ed than you are.

I wonder ....Is there any way to find out who the area manager is? Or, better yet, shoot higher up in the organization. Do some searching on Google and see if you can find a mid-level or high level executive at Chrysler. Just someone in a recent article. Guess at their email and shoot out a couple letters. Explain your situation to them ..that others have had their issues resolved by corporate, even out of warranty. All the calm things you have so far expressed.

I used to work at a fortune 75 company, doing field work. We did major construction jobs. Every once in a while we'd run into some disagreement with a customer we did work for, and sometimes it was even a customer being completely unreasonable (like we did EVERYTHING to please them but they just couldn't be pleased). Often the customer was just a jerk and wanted to get extra work that wasn't part of our contract.

Well guess what? Sometimes a customer would craftily search out and get ahold of an exectutive at corporate, a executive we'd never heard of before who had no relationship to our branch, knew nothing of the project or knowledge of the customer. But they took the customer's frustration to heart and believed everything they said. Then the crap would hit the fan and we'd be told to stop EVERYTHING and get that problem corrected RIGHT NOW ..... "Or Else!!". The hammer dropped on our heads from corporate. It worked for the customer every time.

I mean, whenever that happened, the customer, no matter how unreasonable, always got the royal treatment by corporate and usually a couple calls back by the executive to make sure the work was performed to their satisfaction (they NEVER gave a crap about any other customers). Believe me, if you can get ahold of the right guy at corporate, and get a well-crafted email out, it works. For one reason, executives don't get a lot of customer contact. So when it's really bad (but presented professionally), it chews on them and they know who's desk to walk over to and get some action.

Just thought I'd throw that out. .

Last edited:

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They know it's an issue. I was sent the following from RamCares.

There was a recent STAR case released in May 2021 in regard to Bubbles or Delamination On The Radio Display.

I still can't believe you're getting the run around bud.

shellj22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2018 lonestar edition is also doing the same thing, 65000 miles, dont want to replace with the same problem electronics; will try emailing [email protected]; bought from granbury tx dealer which has been bought out;

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This seems to be common on the uconnect4 screens. When it happened to my wife's Durango I googled it and found chargers and challengers with the same issue.

We bought the lifetime warranty so it only cost us $100 to replace but I still think this was a defect that should have been recalled.

klbennett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Hey new to the forum here. I purchased a 2018 ram 1500 big horn with the 8.4 uconnect system. The screen is now halfway delaminated and going crazy on its own. Tried the dealer and tried ram cares on here. I've been told so far to bite the bullet and pay a grand to fix this problem that I am sure they know is on their end. The truck is out of warranty due to mileage so warranty is being refused and local dealer claim they never see this. ( jeff wyler in Springfield are crooks unfortunately). If I go the infotainment route (I will not give the dealer or ram another dollar of my money) will I retain the uconnect features?
What did you use to clean the screen with? I mix distilled water and vinegar or just wet a microfiber towel with distilled water. Do not use tab water. The minerals and other types of cleaners can ruin the screen and cause this issue.

Mike_in_SC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did the same thing and while it was happening, the touch screen began switch back and forth between different modes while I was driving starting with “adjust the clock”. It kept getting worse and was a distraction. Luckily it was stil under the 36k mile warranty. I understood this was fairly common. Perhaps someone e could go public and start a recall..

RhumHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my 2018 used and the repair was covered 100%.
I have this issue with a 2018 1500 Laramie 8.4 and I called FCA and they told me that because I purchased used that there was nothing they could do. I contacted @RamCares here and they told me about a star case and asked me to take it to a dealer. I did and the dealer said there was nothing they could do as I was out of warranty by 4k miles. What a crock of s*it.

Courtney from RamCares here stated this:

I definitely want you to continue to have the ability to enjoy your Uconnect system and all of the features that it has to offer! I can see that you recently had a case #80060218 open in regard to cost assistance for this concern. Unfortunately, there are no active recalls in regard to delaminating touchscreens at the moment. Therefore, this would be something that would be handled accordingly under the applicable warranty. However, I found a recent STAR case #S2108000130 released in regard to this concern. I kindly recommend reaching out to your dealer to have them properly inspect your Uconnect touchscreen and appropriately review the terms of this STAR case. Your dealer may be willing to work with you on this once they perform a proper diagnosis and consider all of the necessary information.

If you decide to proceed with getting your Uconnect touchscreen fixed, you can certainly hold onto your receipts/repair orders. In the case that this becomes a recalled item in the future, you are more than welcome to reach out to our team in regard to reimbursement, at that time.

Thanks a ton,

Courtney
Ram Cares

I was basically told to go fly a kite.

So now I look a a bubbled display that decides to do its own thing and change settings and push buttons on its own on a less than 4 year old truck just out of warranty.

Last edited:

un4cen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had this happen on my 2011 ram 1500. Found this place in Syracuse NY that replaced my screen and unit. I personally had to send in my display screen and they basically repaired it and sent it back. It has been 5 years but check them out. It was like $200

OP
OP
J

Jden45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep it's sad if you ask me. Very frustrating. Hell I'm one of the idiots paying almost 300 a year for the mobile services also. Will not be doing that after I shelled out 650 to fix the screen. They still don't care to fix it. I have only cleaned the screen with a slightly damp cloth. It'll be hard to convince me that it's not caused by the heat that I have felt this thing generate. In all honesty I've never felt that much heat on a screen before. Definitely should be recalled. It would even be a easy fix for the company. Seams they would rather just fix x amount at their discretion to avoid the recall. You got more in response than I did. They didn't even give me the star case #. Just told me to pay and pray. Lol