2018 ram 1500 with 8.4 uconnect delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike OG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2018 Ram 1500 sport. Mine did the same thing. Named it the bubble as it had a mind of its own. Possessed! 40k miles. Hilltop Dodge in Ada, OK went through the regional rep, and Ram replaced at no cost. Impressed. My next truck will definitely be from them. Cinnamon the rep was awesome!,

2018power wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2018 power wagon with the 8.4 infotainment screen delaminated at 8000 miles,but was replaced by dealer with no hassle! They acted like they've seen this before. Took them 3 weeks to get new one.

Trucker2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I started a new post "UConnect Screen Fix, I did it" and posted pictures, I fixed it, no more ghost button pushing and by looking at the screen you really can't tell I did any thing to it. Cleaning the glue off was not as bad as i thought, I placed the screen in my closed truck on the dash in the sun for 30 to 45 min and the fishing string sliced through the glue pretty easy. I agree with you CanRebel it's the heat and maybe bad glue. I am in the Houston area and it gets hot as hell here during the summer and my truck is dark paint and interior plus it sits outside 24/7. From reading up on LOCA glue there are different hardness once cured and I would think the glue in these radios is suppose to be semi soft. Saw this on ebay, someone selling a replacement screen assembly, note the storage and operating temps , 90 c = 194 F, pretty sure my trucks interior is pushing that number on some days.

Screenshot (54).png

joyce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Dodge Ram/1500 also has the Uconnect 8.4 and it too is delaminating. It started about 6 months ago. I had the dealership "diagnose" it yesterday. Just got off the phone with Dodge customer service. They are really sorry I'm having this trouble. That's it. No, they can't do anything about it because it's out of warranty, but they're really sorry I'm having this trouble. I'm so ****** right now. So, reading the above comments, and since Dodge obviously isn't going to stand behind their truck and fix this problem, should I try contacting Uconnect ? I'm so confused as to how to approach this now. (and ******) I love my truck. I just want the radio to work right. Is there some sort of class action lawsuit in progress somewhere, or any news on Dodge Ram making this right by making it a recall ? I don't even know where to look.
Joyce
[email protected]

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Some folks have had luck with calling Uconnect and others RamCares. Seems to be luck of the draw. If you decide to go the remove LOCA and just have an air gap method, separating the screen from the digitizer with fishing line worked for me. I put a few drops of cooking oil in the gap while moving the fishing line through the LOCA. Kept the digitizer from sticking back to the screen. Also, used cooking oil and plastic razor blades to remove the LOCA from the screen and digitizer.

NH_RAM79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I have a 2018 RAM 1500 and the whole top edge of the screen has delaminated. I’ve gone back and forth with US Customer Care and they have told me to go pound it. Not going to help at all. I’m honestly a little shocked at how unhelpful they have been. Even had a supervisor get on and argue with me for 30 minutes today. She refused to acknowledge that it is even a known issue.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is what RamCares told me.

There was a recent STAR case released in May 2021 in regard to Bubbles or Delamination On The Radio Display.

So they certainly know about it regardless of what they have said to you. I started with RamCares and then they got me connected with Uconnect. Uconnect handled everything including speaking with the dealership that originally said it wasn't covered.

Are you out of warranty in years and mileage?

Ramshot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018 Big Horn; 22K mi. Screen delam began last Jan and radio acted as tho' it was possessed. Warm weather cleared up radio malfunction, but delam now across top and down both sides. Dealer says my 3yr warranty ran out last March. Wants $1070 to replace entire radio. I said radio is fine, its the interface that's screwed up. They won't replace just the screen. I have a note into Ram Care. We'll see.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These large LCD screens have me questioning the validity of even having such large screens in vehicles, other than the "Ooohhhh-Aaahhhh" wiz-bang factor ..at first. I guess ya can't stop progress, and maybe I'm getting too old (I don't 'feel' old ...ha ha). But I find them very annoying personally. And when the tech gets old and out of date, the vehicles feel 'old' too. But I suspect some enterprising young dudes will figure out some cool upgrades and things to do with them in the future, which might be fun.

In some cars, unlike the Rams, almost all the controls are managed via the touch screen (radio/hvac, etc). Let me tell you, it's a giant step backwards in terms of ease of use. Driving in rush hr traffic and ya can't punch the 'right' fan speed after several attempts ...and ya gotta flip to another screen to find radio station selections, is a real pain in the but. And that's is in BRAND NEW cars that I rented. Wait till they get 10 yrs old!

Fortunately (for now) the good folks at Ram have kept most of the common controls as buttons and dials. ...for now.

Last edited:

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have a link for a new screen/fix for this problem?

Geoff Less

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have exactly the same problem. I am just out of warranty and no love from the dealership. This sux. I will try UConnect as well.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer swapped out my radio yesterday. It finally came in. Other than having to call XM to give them the new Radio ID number so that the satellite radio would work, all went pretty smooth. Was a couple of hundred miles under 36,000, so it should’ve been covered straight up right? Well, they charged me a $100 deductible and said they changed the radio as a courtesy as I am a long time and loyal Ram/Jeep customer. I’m so tired of fighting with these dealers over everything, so I just paid the $100 for a $1600 radio and went on my way.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$0 would have been better than $100 but you still got a deal verses paying $1600. So I'd consider that a win win.

lightningfast13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_7584.jpg
This is out of my 2018 dodge ram 1500 bighorn its the 8.4 4c with nav delaminating bad anyone know a good place to sell it and how much is it worth to sell

cancunlsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had this same issue, I bought a newer system from a private person that had replaced theres. Installed myself and just called the dealer to get the activation code ( free at this dealer at least) it did cost me about $600 for the new system but I gained apple auto which i did not have before and he already had Navigation activated.

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was in talks with @RamCares about this issue, but they seemed to vanish on me after I sent in photos. Took it to a dealer, but they said I needed a case number before they could do anything, and just took photos of the unit. What number is best to contact to on this issue?

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Continue to follow-up with @RamCares. It wasn't a fast process but I got it replaced in the end.

Thanks. I've sent multiple messages over the past two weeks, and zero response. If I had some sort of confirmation they're still alive I'd have a little more faith in the process lol. I'll wait a few more days I guess before I start making calls.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah ....I had mine replaced under warranty........... but makes me think about selling the whole truck before it happens again!!!