2018 RAM 2500 Drag Link recall Problem/failure

Do consumers have to pay to have a botched recall corrected/fixed?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musicianking1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey guys,

Yea I took my 18 in (Cummins) to the dealer earlier this year maybe 2-3 months ago. The Dealer performed the drag link recall, whatever right? It took me that long to realize why my steering wheel was off (drfts right) and the right front tire is going bald.

I called the dealer and they said, sorry we wont fix it unless you pay for it. Now mind you this is the same dealer I took this in for the work to begin with. Then I called FCA and they said they had to fix it, but replacing the tires MIGHT be on me. Got me a case number, I am fighting this one gents, to hell or high water. The truck has 12k miles on it and 7-8k when it was performed. The improperly did it, and now Im on the hook for fixing it?????? lmao

Have you guys had this issue?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys,

Yea I took my 18 in (Cummins) to the dealer earlier this year maybe 2-3 months ago. The Dealer performed the drag link recall, whatever right? It took me that long to realize why my steering wheel was off (drfts right) and the right front tire is going bald.

I called the dealer and they said, sorry we wont fix it unless you pay for it. Now mind you this is the same dealer I took this in for the work to begin with. Then I called FCA and they said they had to fix it, but replacing the tires MIGHT be on me. Got me a case number, I am fighting this one gents, to hell or high water. The truck has 12k miles on it and 7-8k when it was performed. The improperly did it, and now Im on the hook for fixing it?????? lmao

Was the alignment within spec when they performed the recall? Do you have the alignment specs from when they performed the recall to post up. Otherwise, alignments are just wear items that aren’t covered.

OP
OP
M

Musicianking1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Was the alignment within spec when they performed the recall?
The dealer would have all the information. When the truck has 7k miles and this recall is performed, and now its messed up, with only 12k miles on it, doubtful only 1 tire is messed up because of normal wear and tear. It is in the procedure to do this recall to check alignment on the trucks and the toe angle.

I took it to my brother at a subaru dealership who said the alignment was fine. They messed my truck up man, im about to cut the welds on this POS.

So no, 12k miles and ONLY 1 TIRE being messed up (the tire that everyone has had issues with) is NOT normal wear and tear. I am about to call the lemon lawyer

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The dealer would have all the information. When the truck has 7k miles and this recall is performed, and now its messed up, with only 12k miles on it, doubtful only 1 tire is messed up because of normal wear and tear. It is in the procedure to do this recall to check alignment on the trucks and the toe angle.

I took it to my brother at a subaru dealership who said the alignment was fine. They messed my truck up man, im about to cut the welds on this POS.

So no, 12k miles and ONLY 1 TIRE being messed up (the tire that everyone has had issues with) is NOT normal wear and tear. I am about to call the lemon lawyer
I’m just curious as to how you think the welds have anything to do with the alignment?

OP
OP
M

Musicianking1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I’m just curious as to how you think the welds have anything to do with the alignment?
Because the Drag link and pitman arm connect directly with the right side of the vehicles passenger tire (front). The recall directs them to center the steering wheel and check alignment and toe. My steering wheel is off, and the wheel is off, going in a straight line I have to hold the wheel 5-9 degrees left. Which makes sense since everything is connected and pushing on the right wheel.

Confirmed this through FCA and VO6 recall informational bulletin.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Because the Drag link and pitman arm connect directly with the right side of the vehicles passenger tire (front). The recall directs them to center the steering wheel and check alignment and toe. My steering wheel is off, and the wheel is off, going in a straight line I have to hold the wheel 5-9 degrees left. Which makes sense since everything is connected and pushing on the right wheel.

Confirmed this through FCA and VO6 recall informational bulletin.
I think you should spend some time underneath your truck and have a good look at all the steering components. This should make it clear to you that the drag link and it’s adjusted length has absolutely nothing to do with the alignment of the wheels (toe), but only with the centering of the steering wheel. You can have a perfectly aligned truck that will drive perfectly straight with your hands off the steering wheel, then go under and turn the adjuster sleeve on the drag link, and the truck will still be perfectly aligned. The only thing that will change is the position of the steering wheel.
Your brother said the alignment was fine. Does that mean fine- within ram specs?
The only thing you could really complain to the dealer about concerning the recall work, is if your truck drives in a perfectly straight line with hands off the wheel, and the steering wheel is not at 12:00. You say that you’re drifting right, so that is a different issue, and definitely not a drag link issue.

OP
OP
M

Musicianking1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think you should spend some time underneath your truck and have a good look at all the steering components. This should make it clear to you that the drag link and it’s adjusted length has absolutely nothing to do with the alignment of the wheels (toe), but only with the centering of the steering wheel. You can have a perfectly aligned truck that will drive perfectly straight with your hands off the steering wheel, then go under and turn the adjuster sleeve on the drag link, and the truck will still be perfectly aligned. The only thing that will change is the position of the steering wheel.
Your brother said the alignment was fine. Does that mean fine- within ram specs?
The only thing you could really complain to the dealer about concerning the recall work, is if your truck drives in a perfectly straight line with hands off the wheel, and the steering wheel is not at 12:00. You say that you’re drifting right, so that is a different issue, and definitely not a drag link issue.
In your opinion why would this happen to a truck at 12k miles? Is the toe just needing to be adjusted? Is it coincidental that i noticed it after the recall? It is just very odd that this occurred at this time. What can it be? to cause one wheel to be off when they were to supposed to check it prior to this recall?

OP
OP
M

Musicianking1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

called another dealer and they told me that the other dealer was wrong. They will unweld it, correct the alignment issue, toe issue, and redo everything along with replacing the tire. That was what I wanted to hear.

I know that I didnt cause this, been driving trucks for a long long time. This has to be from the recall and the dealer said it was as well.

Appreciate the help and your opinions on the matter gents.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
called another dealer and they told me that the other dealer was wrong. They will unweld it, correct the alignment issue, toe issue, and redo everything along with replacing the tire. That was what I wanted to hear.

I know that I didnt cause this, been driving trucks for a long long time. This has to be from the recall and the dealer said it was as well.

Appreciate the help and your opinions on the matter gents.
Good deal. I just think the alignment might have been out of spec to begin with, and the first dealer may have only centered the steering wheel. Maybe take it a step further and ask the new dealer to show you the before and after alignment specs.

OP
OP
M

Musicianking1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Good deal. I just think the alignment might have been out of spec to begin with, and the first dealer may have only centered the steering wheel. Maybe take it a step further and ask the new dealer to show you the before and after alignment specs.
I have a funny feeling they never aligned anything and just welded the darn thing. Appreciate it man

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Son's truck was welded before he bought it. He just got new tires with 13,000 miles on it and they did an alignment and it was off. Here is the alignment sheet >

alignment_sheet.jpg

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
In all fairness I've been doing alignments for almost 20yrs. My drag was welded by local dealer and can honestly say the drag link has zero effect on final toe only to set wheel. So your alignment was most likey off from factory or you possibly hit something on the road. Also a level kit, plows and fab bumpers will effect caster. My 2cents..

Last edited:

Scottsjeeprolet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just had my 2017 2500 aligned today and they said the drag link nuts were tack welded to the sleeve. Why does Ram do this and should it be tacked again?

Brian40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 litre cummings diesal
Hey guys,

Brian40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 litre cummings diesal
We are having the same problem now. Fighting to have it fixed. They say its not there problem but they are going to replace the drag link new and not do the weld this time. If not there problem why are they replacing it again.? We are fighting the tire problem. Totally bald. Can i ask you what dealer fixed this for you? we only have 14,000 miles on it. 2018 Dually. Bald Tire on the passenger side. ( Right Side)

tire.jpg

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
We are having the same problem now. Fighting to have it fixed. They say its not there problem but they are going to replace the drag link new and not do the weld this time. If not there problem why are they replacing it again.? We are fighting the tire problem. Totally bald. Can i ask you what dealer fixed this for you? we only have 14,000 miles on it. 2018 Dually. Bald Tire on the passenger side. ( Right Side)

View attachment 192830

Brian, My 15 had the same tire problem. it is a combination of crappy tires (probably Nexen) and excessive toe-in set at the factory. I had to replace my front tires at 18K miles. Got Coopers and had the toe set to 0. So far it seems OK.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son got new tires on his 2500 at 13,000 miles. The old ones were still good but traction was lousy. Anyway, his drag link had been welded. He got an alignment done when he got the new tires and his was off.

Can't say if the bad alignment was due to the welding or off from the factory.

alignment_sheet.jpg