2018 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 Custom Order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mclovin846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
On Saturday afternoon I placed an order for a 2018 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Big Horn in Maximum Steel Metallic. I ordered it with the 4.10 rear end, anti-slip differential, off-road package, luxury group, bucket seats with center console, Uconnect 8.4, Trailer tow mirrors with power fold, trailer brake controller, 220 amp alternator, upfitter switches and front and rear rubber floor mats.

I searched this forum for all sorts of information about these trucks, especially the 6.4 Hemi information. Thank you to all who post here with really good and accurate information.

I initially had been looking at half ton Ram's but realized pretty quickly that with my 18 foot car trailer and soon to be purchased travel trailer I would be at or over max payload on a half ton pretty quickly.

My commute to work is 3.5 miles each way and I live just outside of the city I do most of my shopping, banking, and other chores in.

Now if only I can be patient while it is being built and delivered.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Congrats on your order, that will be an amazing truck!

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Congrats on your new truck on order. I have one on order too so can totally relate. Based on what you are towing I would think long and hard about getting a Cummins. Towing with a gas engine is miserable compared to a diesel as I have towed with both and no comparison.

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
It sounds like you have considered the tow weight of your two trailers. We tow every month with our 2018 2500 6.4. Up grades and winding roads in the Sierra's. The 6.4 and 66RFE trans do the job they are designed to do and are a pleasure.

OP
OP
Mclovin846

Mclovin846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
Hey Lobsterbake, I researched and went back and forth for a long time between the 6.4 liter and the Cummins. For my application the Cummins doesn't pencil out. The $9,200 premium plus additional maintenance in fuel filters, oil changes and Def don't make sense for me. My commute is super short, and most of my daily use is short distance. I've pretty much always had gas trucks and they have been good to me. My last truck was an 08 F250 Crew Cab with the V10. I will most often be towing 5,000 - 10,000 lbs or less and the rest of the time it'll either be my daily commuter or my Overlanding machine. Besides, I enjoy the sound of a big V8 nearing redline as its working hard. :)

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Good deal - just want you to love your new truck. So many people don’t do their homework. Glad you did

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You're going to love it. Especially all that space behind the rear seat. Soooo convenient. Cant imagine it without it. I absolutely love my mega cab, no doubt you'll love yours. Congrats.

Btw, invest in the pedal commander. Best mode I've done.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the new truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey Lobsterbake, I researched and went back and forth for a long time between the 6.4 liter and the Cummins. For my application the Cummins doesn't pencil out. The $9,200 premium plus additional maintenance in fuel filters, oil changes and Def don't make sense for me. My commute is super short, and most of my daily use is short distance. I've pretty much always had gas trucks and they have been good to me. My last truck was an 08 F250 Crew Cab with the V10. I will most often be towing 5,000 - 10,000 lbs or less and the rest of the time it'll either be my daily commuter or my Overlanding machine. Besides, I enjoy the sound of a big V8 nearing redline as its working hard. :)

I would think a daily commute of only 7 miles round trip would be difficult on the cummins. Short trips would result in emmision issues frequently and trips to the dealership for warranty work. I've owned several cummins and loved the power but my daily driving habits have changed. Have '18 2500 6.4 on order now and hope to have by August.

David

OP
OP
Mclovin846

Mclovin846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
Quick update on my order. My truck has been built and is right on schedule so far. It is currently waiting for transport out of Mexico. My dealer told me it should be here in Oregon in about 2-3 weeks. Hoping its closer to two than three weeks. Haha! I've been browsing local dealer inventory just for fun and no one around me has a truck like what I built. Makes me happy I ordered it. Even if I pay a little more because it isn't dealer stock it'll be worth it to have the machine I want.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hang in there! Hopefully it will be closer to 2 weeks.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
It will go by train from Mexico to the Benisa Ca holding yard. It will then be loaded on a truck and go up I-5 to your dealer in Oregon. Mine was in Benisa for 2 weeks in Dec 2017. However, my neighbor's 2019 was only at the holding yard for 4 days and at the dealer 2 days later. Seems things are moving faster this time of year. You will love that Mega Cab. Miss that cab space in our 07. One thing I noticed about my neighbors 2500 Mega cab is the empty ride is a bit better than our CC. Let us know when you get it and how you like it.

OP
OP
Mclovin846

Mclovin846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
Here is the window sticker for my Mega Cab. It is showing up on my dealers website as in transit. He has had two calls on it so far with other people wanting to buy it. They both told him it is exactly what they are looking for. Makes me feel good to know my build is a desirable one.

Attachments

• 18Ram Window Sticker.pdf
    91 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Mclovin846

Mclovin846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I don't believe it has closed yet. My dealer seemed to think it could be anytime...

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Quick update on my order. My truck has been built and is right on schedule so far. It is currently waiting for transport out of Mexico. My dealer told me it should be here in Oregon in about 2-3 weeks. Hoping its closer to two than three weeks. Haha! I've been browsing local dealer inventory just for fun and no one around me has a truck like what I built. Makes me happy I ordered it. Even if I pay a little more because it isn't dealer stock it'll be worth it to have the machine I want.

Congrats on the new truck!!! You'll love it!!! Mine took 12 weeks from the order date(in Oregon here, too), but it didn't get built until 30 days after the order date, so sounds like yours should be closer to the 8 weeks delivery date. Mine sat for a good 1-2 weeks in Mexico before it got on a railcar, and then another 2 weeks waiting for a transport after it got to Oregon, so be prepared to wait longer than you might expect.

From what I have experienced, don't believe them when they say it should be here in 2-3 weeks. Have you gotten a VIN on it?

Mine was a 2018 3500 SLT Crew Cab 4x4 longbed, 4.10 rear end.

Last edited:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on your new truck on order. I have one on order too so can totally relate. Based on what you are towing I would think long and hard about getting a Cummins. Towing with a gas engine is miserable compared to a diesel as I have towed with both and no comparison.

This is one of the most ignorant blanket statements i've ever seen. This is like me saying " you should just go buy an 18wheeler , they tow really well ", or " just get a first class ticket, you'll have a better flight ". Of course upgrades are almost always going to be better.

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

We have been on our first camping trip with our new 2018 3500 (srw) 6.4L Hemi 4x4 long bed with 4.10 rear end and it was a dream to pull with. Hauling a 10'2" camper and 3 horse fully loaded trailer over some really steep mountain passes....full load was around 11-12k and it pulled with plenty of power to spare, decent mpg for the load, and handled brilliantly. While the diesels certainly have their place with huge loads, the 6.4L Hemis are far from being "miserable". When was the last time you towed with a gas engine?

Also, have you thought about the added 9k price that a diesel engine adds to the cost of a new vehicle, not to mention the high cost of diesel per gallon?

I have nothing against diesels, as they're great for puling huge loads, .....on a 3500, sure, it's a great solution if you're pulling huge amounts of weight on a regular basis.

On a 2500, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, imo, as the added engine weight cuts into the payload specs.

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Idk about you guys, but at 2.99 a gallon for mid grade, and the $9200 add on price for the Cummins, I can buy 3076.923 gallons of gas for that.

So let’s say I average 10MPG towing, and not, that’s 30,769.2 miles before I bought a Cummins. Now let’s go to the real average for MY truck, 14.2, that’s with towing 1400 of my 5700 miles, at 9 mpg avg, and my big ass Cooper Stt MAXX Tires, 295/70R18.

Wait for it, 43,692.3 miles if I continue averaging 14.2. So sorry, owning a diesel is cool, but I can buy a **** ton of gas for $9200.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30