2018 Rebel 1500 Rearview Camera Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixWitcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Hey everyone, so I bought my truck used from a Chevy/Buick dealership in November of last year. It only had one previous owner and he did not drive it much (around 38k miles at time of purchase). Anyway the truck did not have a rearview camera installed before I bought the truck however the tailgate handle looked like a rearview camera was installed previously yet was removed for whatever the reason. Anyways, I bought a new tailgate handle, OEM factory camera, and a tailgate wiring harness that connects to both the rearview camera and the tailgate handle locking mechanism. I installed these parts myself. The tailgate locking mechanism does indeed still work with the new tailgate cable harness but of course the camera system does not work when I put the truck in reverse. When I go to the more settings options on my radio, the only two options I see is clock and temp, no rearview camera option. The current Uconnect software version is 13.00.42.01 and 17.14.66 and the part number is 68365210AB. I enter the Truck's vin into the Uconnect update search function and it says the truck is already up to date. I called the dealership and they will not look at the truck for the next few weeks. They also state that I might need a new radio which I suspect is just the dealership trying to make another dollar or two. While I would rather try to fix this myself instead of having the dealer charge me to program it or whatever, I'm a bit stumped as to how I go about setting up the camera to work with my current radio setup. Is there anything I can try to get the rearview camera working or am I pretty much SOL?

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230427_205901.jpg
    20230427_205901.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230427_205917.jpg
    20230427_205917.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 3

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it may be that the previous owner was like you, thinking it would be plug n play at the rear and installed the latch. You may be missing the wiring from tailgate to the cab. Seeing your radio, its a possibility.
I added the factory camera to mine with Mopar parts. I had to wire it from the rear to the front and and tap into the BCM and radio head unit.
It is not what I would call pleasant.
Use your VIN and pull your window sticker. This may tell you if it was optioned on your truck. If not, you will have to do the work I did.