2019 2500 4x4 anti spin diff type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matteee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
Hi everybody,

I just joined this forum because I’m about to buy a new truck and have a very specific technical question. I am a contractor and use the truck for hard work, frequently off-road, and I’ve needed a locking or limited slip diff. “Anti spin differential” is listed as an option but offers no details about the type. Amazingly, no dealer I’ve talked to can answer what to me seems like a simple question. All they say is “DSA anti spin” whatever that means. I’ve also looked on the Ram web site and done endless searches before coming here. All I’ve found is generalities and assumptions. I’m a gear head and want specific info because I know what’s worked for me and what has been lacking. I’ve not loved clutch type or viscous coupling. I’ve heard maybe it’s a mechanical Torsen type, which is fine. I had a Chevy with the one they’ve been using forever and it was okay, though it’s got a reputation for exploding under load. So what is it? I’m hoping something like an Eaton True Trac. Anyway, any help would be great, because if it’s not a decent mechanical one I’ll pass on the option and have a proper locker or True Trac installed.

thanks much and I hope to be back talking about my awesome new truck soon. I test drove one today and was really impressed. So comfy. I like the coil multi-link rear end. Great ride and a HUGE step up from the old GMC I’ve been driving for the last ten years. I’m excited but need to know what’s up with that diff.

Cheers

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
All Ram HD trucks use the helical design from AAM. No clutches, no rapid wearing parts. They are generally very well mannered on the road, and very effective. All of mine would spin a tire on asphalt with the opposing tire on grass or dirt. Plenty of torque bias.

It’s similar in principle to the true trac but constructed a bit differently.

The 1500 uses a clutch type.

OP
OP
M

matteee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
Wow. That was fast, concise, sufficiently technical, well explained and very helpful. I’m clearly finally in the right place. It sounds like the it’ll work just fine for me. Can’t thank you enough. I’m heading to the dealer tomorrow to get my truck. Looking forward to it. That old GMC is pretty tired.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
B5BCCE9D-7A08-43C8-9D05-979582CE7D96.jpeg Plate/clutch LSD. It works. If you want a true locker you’ll be putting it in yourself or paying someone else.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Well, that’s interesting information that’s new to me. A little reading indicates that starting in 2019 there’s a new 12” rear axle in use for diesel 3500 with the heavy tow package. That’s apparently the one pictured above.

I surmise the lighter duty 2500 and 3500 still use the 11.5”, which may or may not still be helical. Need someone who has one and has opened it up to chime in with the facts.

I can’t say from personal experience; I’ve opened mine for changing the break in lube, but the Power Wagon uses a unique to it diff that has helical LSD plus E locker.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No. What’s pictured is my SRW 2019 3500 with the 11.5 rear at about 12000kms. There all plate/clutch type now, gas or diesel 11.5 or 12, except the power wagon.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does the rear now require a friction modifier added to the gear oil? That would be the biggest indicator it’s clutch type.

Edit: I just checked manual and it does state a limited slip additive is required for limited slip axles.

Last edited:

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like the older GM trucks? Besides the additives is there a downside with clutches?

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
Are you going rock crawling?
If not, an LSD is fine.

Clutch wear, sure it can happen, but it only wears slips at all around corners and in a loss of traction situation. How often are you doing a 1 wheel peel? Its not going to wear out unless you are an idiot. Would I pay money to install one? no, at that point, I would pay a little more because I still imagine myself as a real off-roader. That doesn't mean they are bad for what 99% of people use a pick-up for.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2015 2500 and no LSD, all I had was the 'Traction Control' (useless). I'd have to put the truck in 4wd to cross a busy highway when the road was wet. This past week, same spot, road wet, I hammered down on the 2019 with LSD and was pleasantly surprised with the traction :waytogo: Not that I'm looking forward to winter but I am looking forward to the better traction when plowing because my 2015 was a sow in the snow.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
To me it is a bit of a fraud as what you get with the anti-spin is what has been called "traction control" and all that means is the brakes are applied to the wheel that is spinning too fast so more power goes to the opposite wheel, not unlike the days of vehicles with hand brakes where one could pull on it and get the same effect.

I want a true limited slip as it works well even in 2WD and when I lived a couple miles down a gravel road it was more than enough to get me back up to the highway. I have had 4WD vehicles that lacked limited slip and if they got high centered and in 4WD there was power to only one wheel and so it was time to get out the hilift jack. With Anti-Spin in 4WD there is no added power to the slipping wheel and so it is back to having one wheel drive.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting discovery a couple of weeks back when we got 20+" of snow. Back when I had my 2015 I used to always disable TC when I plowed and I found the truck got better traction on deep snow / ice. My first time plowing significant snow in my 2019 with LSD I found the exact opposite to be true. The truck got much better traction with the combination of LSD and TC. When I killed TC (held button down for 5+ seconds) my traction went to hell. Interesting....

SnowSM.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wait, what?

Are you guys saying latest Ram Gen in HD changed anti-spin AAM axle from "Tru-Trac" Torsen all-gear to limited slip clutches?

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, that’s interesting information that’s new to me. A little reading indicates that starting in 2019 there’s a new 12” rear axle in use for diesel 3500 with the heavy tow package. That’s apparently the one pictured above.

I surmise the lighter duty 2500 and 3500 still use the 11.5”, which may or may not still be helical. Need someone who has one and has opened it up to chime in with the facts.

I can’t say from personal experience; I’ve opened mine for changing the break in lube, but the Power Wagon uses a unique to it diff that has helical LSD plus E locker.
Lol so our trucks have garb clutch packs not a helical LSD?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio