2019 HD Tail lights in a 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think the 2019 mirror assembles will fit our trucks, they changed the way they bolt up to the door, I found these pics on Facebook, Im going to just buy the mirror glass for the 2019's, it "should" fit our trucks as along as they didn't change how the mirror glass mounts.

4th Gen:

View media item 28457

2019:

View media item 28456
Is that a 2019 HD mirror, though? Those should bolt up since the sheet metal hasn’t changed. All the wires in the C1 and C2 connectors would definitely need to be rearranged, though, as the circuits aren’t in the same pin locations.

OP
OP
S

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that a 2019 HD mirror, though? Those should bolt up since the sheet metal hasn’t changed. All the wires in the C1 and C2 connectors would definitely need to be rearranged, though, as the circuits aren’t in the same pin locations.
You know, I might edit that post, that mirror comes up as a 1500 mirror, so the HD's may be the same as current, disregard :)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can find them cheaper, I got my pair for $500, including the truck side connector and harness. But if this tail light swap catches on the price may go up even more once sellers see a demand.

Yeah that was my only worry.

But still not sure BSM is worth the cost of entry. I already swapped factory LED taillights onto my truck, it would be easier to justify the HD tails if I hadnt done that :)

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
That’s where I got my new left tail from. They’re definitely new takeoffs, so they must come from flatbed conversions. Nice guy I talked to, I had him get the part in his hand and he called me back with it, and text pictures of it while we were on the phone.
They don’t ship to Canada .
Great

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did some testing with the turn signals and blind spot this morning. Got honked at a lot with people thinking I was gonna cut them off.

When I hit the turn signal, the radio pauses, and there’s a couple of beeps (the same beep as park sense). I have an aftermarket radio, and I was using Spotify on CarPlay, and my music did not automatically start playing again. This could just be the fault of my radio, as I don’t have the optional chime speaker installed for the maestro. The behavior with a factory radio *should be* to mute the music for the audible chime. Cross path detection works also when backing up, with the same behavior. There are no prompts on the cluster screen, just the indicator lights and the chime. I don’t know what the exact behavior is with a 5th gen showing anything in the cluster. The cluster Does display if blind spot needs service and is turned off.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the majority of the connectors ordered. Does anyone know the part numbers for the PDC 20awg pins?

Pins 16 and 35 in the diagrams below
http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=165208

My first plan is to pull power from the PDC but if that is a no go, I will be pulling power at the tail gate connector. I'd rather not pull a ton through the single 20awg wire they have back there from the camera if I don't have to. Can't imagine these modules are consume a lot of power but still.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did some testing with the turn signals and blind spot this morning. Got honked at a lot with people thinking I was gonna cut them off.

When I hit the turn signal, the radio pauses, and there’s a couple of beeps (the same beep as park sense). I have an aftermarket radio, and I was using Spotify on CarPlay, and my music did not automatically start playing again. This could just be the fault of my radio, as I don’t have the optional chime speaker installed for the maestro. The behavior with a factory radio *should be* to mute the music for the audible chime. Cross path detection works also when backing up, with the same behavior. There are no prompts on the cluster screen, just the indicator lights and the chime. I don’t know what the exact behavior is with a 5th gen showing anything in the cluster. The cluster Does display if blind spot needs service and is turned off.

If it behaves like the Jeeps with BSM, there is nothing really displayed on the cluster besides error states. On my sister's GC, it is just chimes if you try to change lines while there is a car there (assuming you use your turn signal), chimes for cross path, and lights in the mirrors.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got the majority of the connectors ordered. Does anyone know the part numbers for the PDC 20awg pins?

My first plan is to pull power from the PDC but if that is a no go, I will be pulling power at the tail gate connector. I'd rather not pull a ton through the single 20awg wire they have back there from the camera if I don't have to. Can't imagine these modules are consume a lot of power but still.
Can’t find that exact part number in their catalogue, but it’s a YESC KAIZEN series. They use 1.5, 2.8, and 6.3mm terminals. My *best guess* would be, those two pins are the smallest terminals- 1.5mm Yazaki 7116-4100-02 would be for 20-22awg, and 7116-4101-02 would be for 16-18awg.

OP
OP
S

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I powered these lights up with a lab power supply to test the lights off the truck, the BS modules use about 250ma of current per side, so about a half an amp for both

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can find them cheaper, I got my pair for $500, including the truck side connector and harness. But if this tail light swap catches on the price may go up even more once sellers see a demand.
Where did you buy your lights? So far I have found sets in the $700-$1000 range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can’t find that exact part number in their catalogue, but it’s a YESC KAIZEN series. They use 1.5, 2.8, and 6.3mm terminals. My *best guess* would be, those two pins are the smallest terminals- 1.5mm Yazaki 7116-4100-02 would be for 20-22awg, and 7116-4101-02 would be for 16-18awg.

Thanks, got those ordered as well. With some minimums in order quantities, I have enough parts for five-ish gen 4 LED equipped RAMS. I did get pins for the BCM fault detection circuits since they were cheap and I figured I might as well if I am paying for shipping anyways.

I didn't order any twisted pair wire though, I have a spool of stranded cat-6 patch cable, so that should work just fine for the CAN IHS signal wires.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let the fun begin! Got a good portion of the connectors and wiring in the mail today, the rest are coming tomorrow. I am using white 18AWG for everything but the CAN-IHS lines. I'm going to mark all the wires with the required colors as I go. I am going to start laying out my harness today and will hopefully be done by the end of the weekend between everything else that needs to get done.

Question for everyone, where are you guys running wires into the cabin? I am thinking of finding a spot to get through the firewall, probably near the main bundle coming through. Other option is a grommet and the clutch block off plate. Open to all ideas.

Still on the hunt for tail lights. Looks like a lot of sellers on car-part are labeling the incandescent housings as LED and don't provide pictures or part numbers. The ones that I have called to get more details are 3 for 3 for not being LED housings.

20191101_163635.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Let the fun begin! Got a good portion of the connectors and wiring in the mail today, the rest are coming tomorrow. I am using white 18AWG for everything but the CAN-IHS lines. I'm going to mark all the wires with the required colors as I go. I am going to start laying out my harness today and will hopefully be done by the end of the weekend between everything else that needs to get done.

Question for everyone, where are you guys running wires in the cabin? I am thinking of find a spot to get through the firewall, probably near the main bundle coming through. Open to all ideas.

Still on the hunt for tail lights. Looks like a lot of sellers on car-part are labeling the incandescent housings as LED and don't provide pictures or part numbers. The ones that I have called to get more details are 3 for 3 for not being LED housings.

View attachment 184996
Most people will come through the clutch delete plastic plate in the firewall and use this- https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Univ...Made+in+America+,+Black&qid=1572641870&sr=8-1
I came up through the floorboard right next to the e-brake cable using a grommet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew