2019 Power Wagon Uconn4 disappointment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Uconnect® 4 with 8.4–Inch Display, I am a new Ram owner, I am surprised to find out my truck doesn't come with Nav/GPS on the Uconn-4. Maybe I am missing something, but Uconn4 vs. Uconn4c in the 8.4 inch version is somewhat disappointing. To have have a $63k(MSRP) truck and be slighted a GPS/nav option is pretty disappointing. This trim level (PW) of a truck, it should come as a standard option. This is the only real complaint I have with truck, not even a paper Rand Mcnally. Otherwise, I love my new PW.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe you can get an update done by the dealer. The NAV function was probably not listed as an option on your build sheet.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe you can get an update done by the dealer. The NAV function was probably not listed as an option on your build sheet.

2019 I dont believe can update to add nav (the UAx series radios used in 2018+ do not have the capability).

But if it IS a UAx series radio, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are there, so getting access to apps, nav, etc are just a plug-in away like @silverWS6 said.

And $63K for a truck is, unfortunately, becoming the norm....I wouldnt assume $63K gets you everything, always check the build sheet and/or window sticker first.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had a few vehicles with in dash nav, and never had one that was as good as the phone apps available at the same point in time. I’m actually happy I didn’t have to waste money on an application I didn’t like.

Carplay FTW.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like having the factory nav because its always there and accessible.

Phone not charged? Maps app not working? GPS signal blocked? Then yer hosed

Factory nav, just "Go to" "Home" and you're done. Is it the best interface ever? No. Will it give you the best route home? Probably not. But you WILL get home regardless of your cell phone status.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like having the factory nav because its always there and accessible.

Phone not charged? Maps app not working? GPS signal blocked? Then yer hosed

Factory nav, just "Go to" "Home" and you're done. Is it the best interface ever? No. Will it give you the best route home? Probably not. But you WILL get home regardless of your cell phone status.

I prefer the stock nav for its EVIC display in addition to the normal infotainment display. Hate having the GPS voice disrupt the music when a turn is approaching, so I always have the sound turned off the GPS. With the screen in the EVIC showing the next turn as well, it grabs my attention much more than the infotainment screen and often I just keep an eye on that screen in the gauge cluster.

Also, I've had the nav on my last 3 rams going back to 2011, and I've rarely had to adjust the route it takes me...doesn't seem to be tons of new development in the northeast, never had any issues with roads being inaccurate or too new to be on the nav. If I lived in or was travelling to a place that had lots of new development, then I would probably defer to google maps at that point.

OP
OP
danoday

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I can use a android or apple phone app, however, I guess in my mind, the only real rationale for the larger 8 inch screen, is for viewing GPS/NAV. I guess the upside is, no eye strain when viewing the 5 inch tall heated seat icon....lol