2019 Ram 1500 Big horn - No hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
So, I leased a 2019 Ram 1500 big horn (bare bones) off the dealer lot last week. Looking over the truck recently it does not have a trailer hitch. I then referenced my window sticker and it says "Class III Hitch". Went back out to the truck and it obviously has the round rear frame crossmember and a bracket welded to it but no 2" receptacle.

I called my dealer and they said there is an access point under the license plate to screw a ball into. A bit surprised I advised that I haven't seen a bumper pull ball on a truck since the 1980's. The dealer assured me that Ram considers this ball that screws into the bumper to be the class 3 hitch.

Is this correct or is the dealer feeding me a line of BS. I cant believe a 4x4 truck with a 395 hp V-8 doesn't come with a traditional class III 2" receiver. The dealer said my only option is buying the $257.00 Mopar acessory Class IV hitch assembly. Told them it was a lease vehicle and I refused to spend that kind of money on a hitch that I would eith turn in with the truck or have to remove and sell for a loss at the end of the term

Is this correct? Is a bumper ball considered a class III hitch?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My understanding is the class 3 mopar hitch is a 2" receiver bracket that bolts to the crossmember and then a bolt goes through the hole in the bumper to that bracket to help stabilize it No not a ball screwed down through the bumper....I've not heard of that. Unless this changed on the 19s? Maybe ask in the 5th gen forum?

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think you're being fed a line. Check the equipment list online with your Mopar account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Yeah.. thanks. Didn't realize I posted this in the 4th gen forum. I will repost in the 5th gen. Mods, please delete . Thanks for the help guys.

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I leased a 2019 Ram 1500 big horn (bare bones) off the dealer lot last week. Looking over the truck recently it does not have a trailer hitch. I then referenced my window sticker and it says "Class III Hitch". Went back out to the truck and it obviously has the round rear frame crossmember and a bracket welded to it but no 2" receptacle.

I called my dealer and they said there is an access point under the license plate to screw a ball into. A bit surprised I advised that I haven't seen a bumper pull ball on a truck since the 1980's. The dealer assured me that Ram considers this ball that screws into the bumper to be the class 3 hitch.

Is this correct or is the dealer feeding me a line of BS. I cant believe a 4x4 truck with a 395 hp V-8 doesn't come with a traditional class III 2" receiver. The dealer said my only option is buying the $257.00 Mopar acessory Class IV hitch assembly. Told them it was a lease vehicle and I refused to spend that kind of money on a hitch that I would eith turn in with the truck or have to remove and sell for a loss at the end of the term

Is this correct? Is a bumper ball considered a class III hitch?

I have a 19 big horn and on my sticker it says the same "Class III Receiver Hitch." My truck came with the traditional 2" Hitch. It's a standard on the big horn. There is no hole what so ever below the license plate. Maybe it was there and someone remove it? I never seen a ball hitch bumper on any current trucks let alone a 2019.

OP
OP

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
I have a 19 big horn and on my sticker it says the same "Class III Receiver Hitch." My truck came with the traditional 2" Hitch. It's a standard on the big horn. There is no hole what so ever below the license plate. Maybe it was there and someone remove it? I never seen a ball hitch bumper on any current trucks let alone a 2019.

well.. Here's the issue.. I bought a bare bones Big Horn. The only options are 5.7 Hemi and remote start. That's it. If I would have leased one equipped with "Level 1 Equipment group"(I think thats what Ram calls it) I would have got heated seats, bigger touch screen and a few other options I didn't want. The difference is that by NOT selecting the level 1 package, I was stuck with what Ram calls a "class III hitch" as listed on the window sticker. By selecting Level 1 equipment package, "class III hitch" is still listed, but in the options category there is an addition of "class IV hitch". My truck does not have the class IV hitch as I didn't select the option package.

I guess what Im trying to figure out is if Ram considers a Class III hitch to be a ball screwed into the hole under the license plate. Every class III hitch that I google is either an aftermarket 2 inch receiver that bolts under the rear tube cross member or an entire 2" hitch assembly that bolts to the frame in place of the hitchless rear cross member tube. Never have a I seen a class III hitch that is a screw in ball. That's what isn't making sense.

Last edited:

Savage_sultin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just finished with this my self, I bought a 2019 and I made sure it came with a class III as to me a class III is a 2" receiver. however when I went to look at the hitch I noticed the same thing just the round bar attachment, the dealer told me after inquiring with Chrysler that its meant to have a ball on the bumper. I told them thats not a class III and its not worth a pinch of **** to someone who tows. So they took sometime to find a solution and came up with I needed a class IV which requires the bumper to be removed for install. they quoted me $500 with labour and taxes, I wasn't happy and spoke with the dealership manager and explained that I bought it expecting a class III and if he googled a class III he would only find a 2" receiver hitch. at the end of it they put it on for free as I just bought the truck. They also told me that not all parts are being made and available right now as the Mexico plant is shutting down and moving to Michigan. usually they would have the receiver adapter to bolt onto that hitch for a 2" receiver

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A good description of the different classes of hitches.

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/learning_center/general-towing-classes

I have a 2017 Big Horn (hardly bare bones in my estimation, but that is another story). It has a class IV hitch on it. According to the RAM App, the 4 pin and 7 pin hook ups are included (they are there), no mention of the hitch. I didn't buy it new, but I believe the hitch is from the factory.

There is a hole in the bumper. I have seen other trucks with a plastic cover over the hole, mine is missing. Embossed into the bumper cover there is a line that says the capacity is 5000 pounds for the trailer, 500 pounds tongue weight, which is higher than class II, but lower than class III. According to a window sticker I downloaded, the Class IV hitch is part of the Big Horn package.

Your window sticker (can download it from the RAM website) should show what is included on a 2019 Big Horn. You can at lease verify that you got what you paid for. Dealers can order all kinds of combos, it is possible that they had the hitch deleted when they ordered the truck.

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A good description of the different classes of hitches.

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/learning_center/general-towing-classes

I have a 2017 Big Horn (hardly bare bones in my estimation, but that is another story). It has a class IV hitch on it. According to the RAM App, the 4 pin and 7 pin hook ups are included (they are there), no mention of the hitch. I didn't buy it new, but I believe the hitch is from the factory.

There is a hole in the bumper. I have seen other trucks with a plastic cover over the hole, mine is missing. Embossed into the bumper cover there is a line that says the capacity is 5000 pounds for the trailer, 500 pounds tongue weight, which is higher than class II, but lower than class III. According to a window sticker I downloaded, the Class IV hitch is part of the Big Horn package.

Your window sticker (can download it from the RAM website) should show what is included on a 2019 Big Horn. You can at lease verify that you got what you paid for. Dealers can order all kinds of combos, it is possible that they had the hitch deleted when they ordered the truck.

I looked at my sticker again and it has two hitches. Big Horn standard is Class III and the Class IV Hitch is optional. The Class III, I assuming its the bumper one you have. The Class IV is part of the Customer Preferred Package 25Z package.

Last edited:

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If the bumper is rated as Class III, it sounds like they have made changes for 2019. If it is rated as class III, and is the right rating for what you need to tow, it sound like you will be fine.

One issue I see, is that it may not be the right height. I have a snowmobile trailer that would ride too high in the front if I put a ball on the bumper. I need at least a two inch drop from the receiver under the bumper to get the trailer level. That may be your biggest problem, depending on what you plan to tow.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like your dealer is blowing smoke

wblynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bare-bones Big Horn has the ludicrous "class iii" hitch in the bumper where a ball would screw in.

My Big Horn is SO bare-bones it didn't even get a glove box door, like all the other Big Horns.

I now call it Little Big Horn.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
lol Well you probably have the bigger number on your payload sticker that some people think they need.