Can't open tailgate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retired Navy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading dam near all the posts about the tailgate I am still lost. First is why in the would a manufacturer make one of the most important items on a truck the tailgate all electric. I'm back to square one. The key fab or the door or the overhead will not open my tailgate. It takes me sometimes 5 minutes to open and at times 20 minutes to open the tailgate on this truck. To get the tailgate to open I have to stand behind the gate and push in hard over and over hitting the key over and over. Dealer said can't find the problem, taken it to 3 dealers in the area and when they see someone else has looked at the truck, they say samething can't find the problem. I've taken the back off and checked the tailgate sol all looks good. I'm so pissed that if I can get the gate open, I will try and remove the thing. Its been over a month and can't open the gate no matter what I do or try. Biggest mistake I have ever made was buying this truck. Anyone has any subjections.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am no help but following ,,, Good Luck

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What trim level do you have, sounds like the latches on both sides of the tailgate are out of adjustment, on the release on the handle can you hear anything releasing, all the controls are in the handle, can you push in with force and pull the handle at the same time.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try using some pb blaster on all the latches ,it may help. Sounds like it is out of adjustment. There’s only so many moving parts, open it up and look at the mechanism for obvious adjustments. Spray first .

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you do get the tailgate open and leave it down, will it then lock and unlock like normal?

Slappy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I do not know if this will help you but check recalls. I’m having troubles with clunking when shifting. And see a recall for tailgate issue. I did not read it because I’m not having that problem. Good luck

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not know if this will help you but check recalls. I’m having troubles with clunking when shifting. And see a recall for tailgate issue. I did not read it because I’m not having that problem. Good luck

Do you have a link to the tailgate recall notice?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My 21 bighorn 2500 had the tailgate latch recall done at a dealer 3 times. It finally works like it should most of the time. It’s the adjustment on the locking pins that needs to be tweaked.

Slappy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I really couldn’t give you a link for tailgate recall. I simply did a Google search on recalls for 2019 ram 1500. There was a slew of them and of course when I mentioned that to dealer he said only one was for my truck ( which I was never notified about ). I just remember seeing tailgate recall. Sure hope you found a solution to your problem.

Deb P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Here's a link to info on the tailgate recall: https://moparinsiders.com/recall-1234657-ram-pickups-for-misaligned-tailgate-strikers/. Also good to know (from same link) "Dealers will inspect the tailgate striker alignment to the box latch and adjust, if necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on Friday, January 27th, 2023. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. The recall number is ZB8."

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Snow and freezing is so much help... The bed cover keeps me from getting access and to keep things dry ... Uggg no help

stokjeep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My new to me 2 daya go 19 is occasionally not unlocking .. i have found that a push IN and UP near left latch while hitting release button frees mine everytime ...truck goes to dealer next weekend .. feels to me like the pins are too high .. OR .. if there is a wear surface in tailgate pivot that mebbe tailgate is sitting too low compared to new and mebbe latch binds on the striker pin being too high.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat