2019 Ram 1500 Software Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been meaning to post this and keep forgetting.

A week or so ago I received a message on the touch screen (8.4) of my truck noting that a software update was available. I was promoted to return schedule the update for a later time or allow it to run immediately.

I didn't have time to wait for it at that moment, so I scheduled it for 3 am the next morning.

When I got in the truck the next day, I received a message that the update was successful as well as the option to view changes with the update.

I'm a bit confused... The hotspot in the truck shouldn't be active since I don't have an account or subscription with AT&T. I haven't maintained the SOS and other such services either. I do have a Sirius XM subscription.

How did this update take place? Or did any update happen?

The only thing that I notice that is different is that Android Auto voice recognition seems to not work as well. For example, if I say 'Hey Google, call Joe Stevens' it used to successfully find and call the correct contact. Now you see it start out displaying 'calling Joe Stevens' , butt then it changes to display 'Joe Stephens' and fails trip find a contact. Android Auto seems to be more sluggish as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Viperh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WAG.. It downloaded the update while your phone was connected, stored it somewhere, then proceeded with the update at the time selected.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got that update a week or so ago..they are able to connect to your truck computer at will. I never pair my phone with my truck and still get them so clearly that is not their access source. I too am wondering what all was in the update. the first thing I noticed was all the presets on my radio were changed to stuff I dont want so I had to spend time getting it back to where it was. as a little bit of an electronics geek, I would like to cut them off. if anybody has done that I would like to hear how they did it. dont you guys get those occasional status reports of tire pressure..oil life %..etc.

OP
OP
D

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think that I get the status reports, but I am not the most conscientious about email either.

I don't think that I am particularly thrilled that my vehicle can be accessed remotely without my knowledge or permission. I worked in IT in elections for 20+ years. I prefer to know what is in an update and have the ability to approve remote access.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
that's why I dont upgrade my computers very often and wont ever go to win10..my wife upgraded from 8 because it was terrible and now her computer is connected to the mothership 24/7. it is always updating. I am happy with win7 and when they do stuff to make it inop, I will most likely go to Linux if it will run my cad programs. with all the intrusion they are able to do, I wonder if they would locate the truck for me if stolen..