2019 Speed Limiter ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithDVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I admit I haven't tried, however my neighbor has a 2016 RAM and told me that the truck won't go over 100mph. I'm not sure exactly why I would need to, however I was wondering if this is correct and if so can it be removed? Again, not that I need to, however I have been in a rental vehicle going down hill in VA and coal trucks damn near ran my (well you know) over because I couldn't go more than 85. So now I really want to know what the limit is (why can't I choose)? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks !

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I admit I haven't tried, however my neighbor has a 2016 RAM and told me that the truck won't go over 100mph. I'm not sure exactly why I would need to, however I was wondering if this is correct and if so can it be removed? Again, not that I need to, however I have been in a rental vehicle going down hill in VA and coal trucks damn near ran my (well you know) over because I couldn't go more than 85. So now I really want to know what the limit is (why can't I choose)? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks !

Vehicles have had speed governors in them for a couple decades or so. Most of them are set above 100 so most people never notice them, I think the rams is set at around 105. Sportier cars have them more around 155, but they of course also have the tires rated for those speeds. The reason they don't leave this in people's hands to choose is merely the safety, or lack of it, of going those speeds on tires not rated for them, among other things. You can eliminate the governor with a tuner potentially, if they are out for the new 19's, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MY 19 set at 108 mph...

OP
OP
K

KeithDVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vehicles have had speed governors in them for a couple decades or so. Most of them are set above 100 so most people never notice them, I think the rams is set at around 105. Sportier cars have them more around 155, but they of course also have the tires rated for those speeds. The reason they don't leave this in people's hands to choose is merely the safety, or lack of it, of going those speeds on tires not rated for them, among other things. You can eliminate the governor with a tuner potentially, if they are out for the new 19's, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap.

Thanks, I doubt I will ever need more than a buck 5 in a truck, I was more curious than anything.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I doubt I will ever need more than a buck 5 in a truck, I was more curious than anything.

No problem at all! Yeah I generally haven't needed to exceed that either but it's good knowledge to have just in case you ever happen to be in that situation.

OP
OP
K

KeithDVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I now have it on very good first hand authority (right!?), my 19 Rebel stops at 105. Just in case anyone else needed or wanted to know.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I now have it on very good first hand authority (right!?), my 19 Rebel stops at 105. Just in case anyone else needed or wanted to know.

Haha thanks for your research!

PatriotMS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2020 Ram 2500 6.7 stops at 102mph. I will say, it still gets 16.5mpg at a steady 100mph.