202 Ram 1500 Limited Purchased - was it the right one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rharse1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 V8 Hemi
Folks,

I am new to this forum. I've owned a 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel and really like the DJCR family. I've always drooled over the Ram 1500 and I bought a slightly used one the other day. And, unfortunately, I now have significant buyer's remorse. So, now I'm trying to convince myself to keep it or put it up for sale and wait for the Dodge Durango SRT to be more available. I'm not asking for any sympathy but, also ask that you hold off on the "too f'n bad" replies. Instead, I'm asking for constructive reasons to keep the Ram 1500. If you've moved from an SUV to a pickup, what benefits did you realize?

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I own a 2014 Dodge Durango which I bought for my wife. She loves it but I never got into the "SUV" thing. We ride mine 80% of the time, it's only me and her and mine is a regular cab and I have as much if not more room driving it and she has no complaints about riding it either. If you need a people mover I can't compete with that in my truck (never been one that likes riding with a crowd anyway). I can haul more material anything than her Durango is probably the only thing sensible I can give you but I think my pickup is way sportier and looks better than any SUV and that's just my opinion and gives me my reason to prefer it. I really think if you give it a chance it will grow on you.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So what are the reasons for the remorse?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hang onto your current vehicle for a couple of months

Prices for a new vehicle are jacked up
In a couple months you will see prices drop some

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went from an suv to Ram and won't go back. It's so nice to be able to put stuff in the back of the truck that is filthy and not have to worry about getting the vehicle dirty. Also, if what ever it is has a smell to it be gas or whatever, I don't have to have it in the front with me.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
A truck is indispensable, and I also have a 2021 Durango R/T Blacktop Edition

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first brand new car was a 1991 Chevy S10 blazer. Since then I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Expedition. Toyota Highlander and my wife currently has a Jeep Cherokee. I sold the Expedition and bought the RAM 1500. After 30 years of suv's I don't know why it took me so long to switch to a pick up!
I forgot, I also owned a Ford Explorer during that time.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
why do you dislike it?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Folks,

I am new to this forum. I've owned a 2014 Dodge Durango Citadel and really like the DJCR family. I've always drooled over the Ram 1500 and I bought a slightly used one the other day. And, unfortunately, I now have significant buyer's remorse. So, now I'm trying to convince myself to keep it or put it up for sale and wait for the Dodge Durango SRT to be more available. I'm not asking for any sympathy but, also ask that you hold off on the "too f'n bad" replies. Instead, I'm asking for constructive reasons to keep the Ram 1500. If you've moved from an SUV to a pickup, what benefits did you realize?
SUH, IMHO truck just more utilitarian. U can tow ne thing (within weights of course), almost drive ne where, haul PPL, haul wateva in the bed, Just overall, a better vehicle than Durango. But Durango's are purpose built to haul PPL. SO comes down to usage: Do U want a vehicle that is an all round do ne thing and also a PPL Hauler, or just a Grocery Getter (GG)/PPL hauler?

FYI: The Durango's R expensive. They had a Durango Blacked out SRT/RT setup at dealership and it had MSRP: 92K. Now if U got money like that, keep the truck and buy U a Durango. But I's a Pooh BOIRD, can only do "a' vehicle, LOL.

OP
OP
rharse1500

rharse1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.6 V8 Hemi
Thanks very much for all the responses. As I drive the truck and think about it, I think my issue is one of being new to PU trucks and REALLY LOVING my Durango (I'm giving it to my son who is in college in CO) and the 1500 is so different. I guess I have a few reasons (and some are petty, I'll agree) but maybe more experienced 1500 owners can chime in on how they've addressed these:
1) I have non-foldable tow mirrors so the width is HUGE. I am looking at seeing if I can get either foldable tow mirrors or foldable regular mirrors (with heating, blindspot, tilt).
2) While the truck bed is large, I haven't found any reasonably priced bed dividers. It did come with a soft tonneau cover. Right now, I'm tying things in place with rope. I do plan on building some dividers.
3) Gas mileage - I knew it would be lower but, I'm getting about 14.5 mpg. Something to get used to.
4) While it hasn't hit yet, I'm concerned about driving in the snow (we don't get much snow in VA but...). I can use 4WD and was thinking about putting sand bags over the back wheels.
5) I bought this with the thinking that my wife and I would get a travel trailer for when we retire. We'll see how that goes as she is not much of a camper. Maybe I'll get a dog and travel solo!

Honestly, I know I'm being short-sighted. I've been looking at the Ram 1500 for years, have test driven them, and priced out about a million configurations.
I'll canvass this forum for other ideas on how to maximize the benefit of the truck and thank you all for being kind in your responses.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks very much for all the responses. As I drive the truck and think about it, I think my issue is one of being new to PU trucks and REALLY LOVING my Durango (I'm giving it to my son who is in college in CO) and the 1500 is so different. I guess I have a few reasons (and some are petty, I'll agree) but maybe more experienced 1500 owners can chime in on how they've addressed these:
1) I have non-foldable tow mirrors so the width is HUGE. I am looking at seeing if I can get either foldable tow mirrors or foldable regular mirrors (with heating, blindspot, tilt).
2) While the truck bed is large, I haven't found any reasonably priced bed dividers. It did come with a soft tonneau cover. Right now, I'm tying things in place with rope. I do plan on building some dividers.
3) Gas mileage - I knew it would be lower but, I'm getting about 14.5 mpg. Something to get used to.
4) While it hasn't hit yet, I'm concerned about driving in the snow (we don't get much snow in VA but...). I can use 4WD and was thinking about putting sand bags over the back wheels.
5) I bought this with the thinking that my wife and I would get a travel trailer for when we retire. We'll see how that goes as she is not much of a camper. Maybe I'll get a dog and travel solo!

Honestly, I know I'm being short-sighted. I've been looking at the Ram 1500 for years, have test driven them, and priced out about a million configurations.
I'll canvass this forum for other ideas on how to maximize the benefit of the truck and thank you all for being kind in your responses.
By foldable I assume you mean power folding. Yeah, that was an issue for 2019 and 2020 models. They corrected that for 2021, but lots of people were disappointed by that one. Pretty sure you can upgrade to the power folding tow mirrors, but it won't be cheap to do. I use mine all the time so I understand your wanting them.

My truck has the rambox option, so I also got the bed utility group which included a bed divider. The 2017 Rebel I used to own didn't have ramboxes, so no bed divider. I bought a AMP Research bed extender. It doubles as a bed divider when flipped into the bed. Might check something like that out. Or you can just use like a 2x6 cut to the correct length, and slide it into the slot in the bed sides.

Fuel economy isn't great. I'm averaging just over 16 mpg with my Limited. But then again I didn't buy it for fuel economy. I have a second vehicle I mostly use for commuting.

These trucks work great in winter. The key is having good tires. Any tires with the 3PMSF symbol will make driving in the snow much better. Or you can opt for dedicated snow tires if you want to swap tires twice a year.

Can't help you with number 5. You're on your own with that LOL.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Check out the Bed extender. Folds out for longer loads, or rolls in, to keep loose items form rolling around bed.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These trucks work great in winter. The key is having good tires. Any tires with the 3PMSF symbol will make driving in the snow much better. Or you can opt for dedicated snow tires if you want to swap tires twice a year.

Mike is right on the money with his post (as usual), and I totally agree about getting a good tire if you want to be prepared for snow. Learning how to counter steer if you don't already, will provide additional fun to be had in 2wd. Highly recommend that second option for the fun factor.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

1: Mirrors you would have to change out. Probably possible, but expensive.
2: There are bed dividers out there, the 2 X 6 option work also
3: It's a Hemi, gas mileage, maybe a Prius in yer future??? :anitoof:
4: If your vehicle has 4WD, you do not need sand bags over the rear axle. What you need are a good set of tires. Many threads in this forum ref tires. Some like Coopers, Michelins, Falkens. I personally got "C" rated Falken AT3W's, fine in 8 inches of snow/ice, driving responsibly. Now U get a gazillion opinions on tires, filters and oil. BUT a good set of tires is a monster plus.
5: If U get Camper, remember your truck capabilities and weight limits, hitches, etc etc.
6: Not Mentioned: Keep Up on yer MX. Especially Oil Changes/Filters, etc. Use quality oil that meets specs of engine. Lots of Threads on that also and filters and air filters.

ALL ABOVE IMHO.......

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

i live in the corner of far northwest New Jersey and have driven in significant snow storms and have never needed to add weight to the bed. not sure what you carry in your bed but bungee cords are your friend. I have a bed extender and when folded in keeps everything near the tailgate for easy access. My opinion is to drive it for six months or so and I would bet youll start loving it.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not going convince you should keep it or not... That all up to you.

I would say, in my view those 'soft' covers are ugly, useless crap.
I spent more, and purchased a hard foldable one. Mopar one.

I also have mirrors. 'power' but manual folding. Was going to change them, but getting use to them.

Have you already drove it in snow with tires on it?

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A durango over a Ram Limited??? I cant see that. When prices come down I'll sell my Titan and get a 2019-2021 Ram Limited. To me THAT is the ultimate ram and i absolutely LOVE the look

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I have a 202 G.C. Overland, a 2021 G.C. Summitt, and a 2021 1500 Limited. All were boought before the shortage. Love them all.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started buying trucks 20 years ago and then I traded my SUV in on Chev truck in 2001 ... After my second truck I went back to the SUV in 2006 ... Kicked myself after 6 months ... Convinced my wife to drive the SUV after her Oldsmobile lease was up and went back to a truck ... Again two trucks later went back to an SUV, and the first thing my wife said was "remember what happened the last time you gave up your truck" .. She was right, had that SUV less than two years, traded it in on a 2013 Longhorn and I'm now on my third Longhorn, and , will not go back to an SUV... Plenty of room in the crew cab with all the comforts, with the box for carrying things big and small, along with better towing capacity ...
Give yourself some time to get use to your truck and it will wear on you .. Even my son has become a truck guy (even though he likes the Fords) but I think I now have him convinced on the RAM ... LOL ... Good luck with whatever choice you make ...

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have had a pickup truck for most of my driving life, but last year I sold my diesel pickup and now have only a SUV for use. I did buy the 2018 Chevy Traverse which had the most interior cargo space of any SUV being made. Most SUV's serve as passenger vans with 3 row seating and cargo space has suffered greatly as a result.

I finished with all the major remodel projects at my house which was another factor. With the diesel I could and did put 4000 lbs of sack concrete or a great deal of heavy timbers into the bed with no issues. I could put a 4x8 sheet of plywood into the bed with the tailgate down and this is not possible with my SUV, nor would it work with all the short bed trucks being sold. I could remove the bed mat and hose out the box of the truck which was also great. When I had dogs, a pickup with a fiberglass shell was the only way to go. But no dogs now and no big projects.

I have long believed that there are compromises with any vehicle and it is far better to have more than one. For short trips to the stores I have a 45 mpg Prius and for hauling our bicycles I have the SUV where they can be inside the vehicle. For building materials, dogs, plants from a nursery, etc. the pickup truck was great to have.

If I was towing a travel trailer then a pickup with a cap would be great to be able to take large bulky items or firewood and the like and not have it inside the trailer. Kayaks or a small boat can fit on a rack on the pickup far better than on the roof rack of a SUV where load limits are much lower.