New here, purchased my first RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyn_enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2009 Dodge RAM SLT 4X4 1500 Crew Cab, Bighorn Package

Hey everyone, new to the group and just purchased a used 2009 RAM with 149,000 miles on it for 11k.

Love the truck so far, especially the 5.7 Hemi, coming from a VW Jetta to a 5.7 has been pretty exhilarating. Feel like a real man now.

First question is, did I get fleeced for the price or is it a decent deal? I know that’s pretty subjective based on any mechanical issues I encounter in the next few months. But it is covered by a Full Warranty for about 5 more months. Any tips on what I should keep an eye and ear out for on a used RAM? I’m aware of the hemi tick, no signs or sounds of it currently.

Side note, you’ll see on the last picture what I believe was an old school plow attachment that was installed by the previous owner. I want to remove it but not sure how to go about it. Recommend taking the bumper off to remove it or is there an easier route to save some time? It was never commercially owned, the last guy was from Indiana and used it now and then when snow fell.

Appreciate any tips!71849748616__D21CD523-CBDE-4FD4-AD18-D3E5BA9F450C.jpegIMG_2549.jpeg71849749686__F28D2AFB-D553-4ECE-97D0-092464E93614.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
welcome to the club !
some pic's would be a help so we can see how it is attached and then someone can chime in on it !
as far as the other things $$ are like you said subjective ! Did you look around and see what comparable trucks are going for at the time?
things to look out for is broken bolts on the exhaust manifolds and it all so mostly depends on his maintenance schedule! But what I will recommend is when you dod do oil change to use a good synthetic oil !

OP
OP
Z

zyn_enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apologize Jim, thought I had added the pictures! Just added them to my post. And as a reference for location pricing I am located in Tennessee, used trucks are going for a fortune here!

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Apologize Jim, thought I had added the pictures! Just added them to my post. And as a reference for location pricing I am located in Tennessee, used trucks are going for a fortune here!
That is one good looking truck. Enjoy.

Watch making right hand turns as you transition from a Jetta, as that passenger side back wheel will track into the curb... size does matter!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:To the Ram Forum!!!, Check for loose ex manifold heat shields that will tell you there is broken bolts, and get on a good lubrication strategy, full synthetic oil and a good oil filter.
Great looking truck looks in great shape.

brny67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2009 Dodge RAM SLT 4X4 1500 Crew Cab, Bighorn Package

Hey everyone, new to the group and just purchased a used 2009 RAM with 149,000 miles on it for 11k.

Love the truck so far, especially the 5.7 Hemi, coming from a VW Jetta to a 5.7 has been pretty exhilarating. Feel like a real man now.

First question is, did I get fleeced for the price or is it a decent deal? I know that’s pretty subjective based on any mechanical issues I encounter in the next few months. But it is covered by a Full Warranty for about 5 more months. Any tips on what I should keep an eye and ear out for on a used RAM? I’m aware of the hemi tick, no signs or sounds of it currently.

Side note, you’ll see on the last picture what I believe was an old school plow attachment that was installed by the previous owner. I want to remove it but not sure how to go about it. Recommend taking the bumper off to remove it or is there an easier route to save some time? It was never commercially owned, the last guy was from Indiana and used it now and then when snow fell.

Appreciate any tips!View attachment 529809View attachment 529811View attachment 529810
Sweet ride and very low miles, looks like it was well kept…congrats and welcome to the show!