2021 1500 Creaking Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just took delivery of a 2021 1500 Limited. I immediately noticed a loud creaking sound at low speeds (10-25mph) whenever I accelerate, deaccelerate, or brake. The sound is definitely coming from the rear. It sounds more like a 20-year-old vehicle rather than a brand new one.

I suspect it's something in the suspension whenever the truck rocks forward or back during light acceleration or deacceleration/braking. However, the really odd thing is that after deacceleration or braking, the noise will often continue for hundreds of feet more while only coasting. That concerns me because that might indicate that it may be something other than the suspension and maybe the creaking sound is actually some sort of clicking in the brake system or differential. I really have no clue as I've never had anything like this happen on a brand-new vehicle before.

Has anyone encountered or heard of this before? It's a Limited, so it does have the air suspension, if that's a factor.

I'll be taking it back to the dealer soon, but they've already told me they don't know what it is. I'm hoping someone here knows what's causing it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does the truck have a two piece drive shaft? There will usually be a black accordion cover over where the two pieces spline together.

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the truck have a two piece drive shaft? There will usually be a black accordion cover over where the two pieces spline together.
I don't think so, but I'll go take a look.

Update: The driveshaft is all one piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: The dealer found the problem. The attachment bolts to the driveshaft were loose from the factory. The dealer properly torqued them and now the problem is 100% resolved. It also resolved several other problems I was experiencing which I thought were unrelated such as an intense rumble over 65 MPH and shuddering when coming to a stop. If you have any of these symptoms, check the driveshaft bolts.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's kind of scary. Could have been bad if the drive shaft would have disconnected at speed. Glad they found it before anything was damaged. Enjoy your new truck!

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's kind of scary. Could have been bad if the drive shaft would have disconnected at speed. Glad they found it before anything was damaged. Enjoy your new truck!
I totally agree.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio