2021 Eco Diesel DEF Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomdog07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l EcoDiesel
So I bought my truck in late November 2021, and just hit the point where I need to add more DEF to the tank. Does the DEF brand matter when it comes to longevity, mileage, or any other concerns?

Sorry if this is a silly question but this is my first diesel and I am new to all this. Came over to the Ram world from back to back F150's gassers.

Thank you anyone that responds!

SGTrvlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All DEF is the same per government mandate…32.5% urea and 67.5 distilled water. There should be no performance difference in any brand. Lot of difference in prices. I was in a dealership in CO a couple years ago. Lady from TX came in to purchase DEF for her new Ram. Dealer charged her $40 per gal. Walmart down street was selling 2.5 gallons for $7.88. Tried to explain there was no difference in product. She would have no part in that. Her TX dealer told her to use Mopar or it would void the warranty. No hope for some people.

OP
OP
B

boomdog07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l EcoDiesel
Thank you! I do appreciate that information. I found the same online but just wanted to make sure that I didn't make some error and not dig deep enough.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Usually the best best for the freshest and cheapest DEF is at the pump, most fuel stations near major freeways that have truck stall have them.
There's Blue DEF Platinum which is supposed to reduce deposits. It cost double what you can buy "regular" DEF for. The real life jury is still out. Worse case scenario you can pull the DEF injector and clean it with hot water if it gets crystalized.
As others have stated, DEF is DEF as long as it's fresh. Don't try to overfill/top off the DEF tank, the level sensor is ultra sonic/radar and needs some air in the tank to "see" the fluid level.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Any Walmart that i have been to, from California to Connecticut
Uses up the DEF fluid very quickly

I use Super Tech DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid 2.5 Gallon
The price just did a big jump in cost, it is now $10.24

No you can not *** in the DEF tank,
DEF is imitation cow ***** & deionized water

Lately the Super Tech DEF is often sold out at Walmart

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a DEF Refractometer and check it every time before putting it in. ( I have ****** luck). At first I did BlueDef but switched over to WallyWorld DEF. 1/2 the price and just as good. The truck just went over 53k miles and 3 yrs without an issue. There was about a week where the WW DEF shelves were empty. I go through 2.5g about every 2500 miles on average and I stocked up with a spare jug.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I buy my DEF at the truck stop near my house as it's cheaper ($2.99 / gallon) and turns over frequently so it's fresh. Usually $13 fills it up and I usually fill up every 5th diesel fill up.

Robinson98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi E Torque
I am seriously considering trading in my 2020 1500 hemi 5.7 in for the new Eco Diesel. Do you think it is worth doing so? I know the MPG is improved but the other costs of maintenance makes me wonder if it is worth it?

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I'm leery about using bulk DEF. There are strict material requirements on piping, connections and nozzles/valves etc. If a repair has been done on the the bulk tank and associated piping it could have costly consequences. DEF is reactive with numerous metals including aluminum. I'll stick with jugs.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
One final note on DEF - the tank is 10 gallons. It's also sticky if it leaks anywhere (paint, driveway, etc.).

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One final note on DEF - the tank is 10 gallons. It's also sticky if it leaks anywhere (paint, driveway, etc.).
10 gallons? Which truck?
The HD trucks hold just under 6 gallons of DEF, same for the DT body EcoDiesel. The DS body EcoDiesel holds 8 gallons.

johnsmith69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Eco diesel gets about 25 in town and 30 highway. Regular maintenance and not abusive driving it will last a long time. My 2016 has 126000 miles on it. Change the oil every 5500 miles. I use it for work. Very dependable and reliable. Did research before I went with a truck. For a daily driver it is good. If your towing all the time heavy stuff upgrade to 6.7 diesel in 2500.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I also have a refractometer & check my DEF occasionally, but I run a mixture of distilled water and DEF. I use SUPER TECH from walmart almost exclusively, but have had to use BLUE DEF recently because of availability. I had a duramax in the past and read all kinds of reports saying NOT to use BLUE DEF because it was crap and would screw things up badly, I've never had any problems with it. I had an issue before I traded it off but I was filling an empty DEF jug at the truck stop, that was a dpain in the **** because the ONLY DEF pumps were in the 18 wheeler lanes............A PITA!

Last edited:

colomountains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I used to go to Wally World for my DEF, but sometimes the shelves were bare!!! I also looked for the freshest date on the shelf, but it got old quickly.

So I have been going to truck stops to get the freshest DEF! I usually don't let it get below 1/2. I have also found that the price of the DEF at the truck stop to be cheaper and fresher!

It is kind of funny seeing my eco diesel in between the big dogs!! :cool: