2021 ram 1500 etorque problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m new to the RAM world and E-torque. It does take a bit of getting used to. I’ve learned to pause a split second when releasing the brake before pressing the accelerator to smooth the re-start out a little. But still wouldn’t call it seamless. My 2023 has some strange motions braking for a stop that I haven’t quite figured out. I wondered if there was some sort of regenerative braking system for charging as it seems the brakes self-energize for part of the stop, letting up at low speed - but don’t remember seeing that as part of the package. Maybe it is downshifting but it’s a bit herky-jerky. And I think I’ve noticed the Motor actually shut off a few times before coming to a complete stop - all of which is probably going to teach me to stay further away from the car in front. But I’m getting used to it.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This explains a bit of how it works.
Just my experience with a 2017 ram v6 non e-torque and wifes 2021 wrangler v6 e-torque (same motor)
The jeep gets 5 more mpg and has way more down low power due to the 90ft lbs more torque from the 48v generator. I know its not a Apple to Apple comparison but i think it works well in our jeep.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wondered if there was some sort of regenerative braking system for charging as it seems the brakes self-energize for part of the stop, letting up at low speed - but don’t remember seeing that as part of the package.
Yes, the etorque system does have regenerative braking.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2021 Ram 1500 with Etorque with 40K miles. Never have had an issue with it.
For me at least, it was the long term reliability of the system I'm concerned about. 40k/2+ years is nowhere near long enough to judge that aspect.

VAAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I’ve got 13K miles on my 22 Hemi eTorque now. The two things I’ve noticed are it doesn’t brake as smoothly due to the regenerative braking, and like others have said, you should give it a sec to engage when starting from a stop. So I wouldn’t call it seamless, but I still love the truck. I’m getting 21 mpg, so that is good

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, the etorque system does have regenerative braking.
Great - it wasn’t completely my imagination. Still learning - only have about 500 miles on it.

thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990