2022 Limited. Multifunction Tailgate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi E-tourque
2022 Ram 1500 Limited Multifunction Tailgate

In order to get tailgate to latch (so sensor "sees it") I must slam (hard) the tailgate, both drop down and "cargo" style. Seems that something is out of adjustment/not as it should be. Am I the only one? Suggested resolution?

Have had it back to dealer and have talked with RAM. Seems a truck of this caliber should not require slamming in order to work. Seems detrimental to longevity.

Am I the only one? Suggested resolution?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This has been discussed many times. It seems to mostly be an issue when new. Mine acted similarly, but happened less and less with use. I need to close mine with a little more force now that I have a bed cover. But it doesn't bother me at all.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Or the latch assembly? Seems like something that could be shimmed. Although not that you should have to on a new truck

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's getting better all the time. I'm glad to have the monitoring. It's prevented some bad stuff from happening.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had that problem until I stopped swinging the doors shut or slamming the tailgate up.

I looked at the sensor and realized it 'assumes' the tailgate isn't closed because when slammed shut it "bounces" the sensor and the sensor doesn't pick up that it's closed.

I now do it this way and have zero problems with the sensor ... and I feel it's a much better way to close the tailgate securely.

I use speed to close the doors or tailgate, but press firmly against the doors or tailgate, holding my hand there firmly as they latch.

Never ever had a problem since.

Hope this helps.