2022 Ram 1500 Rough start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque
Has anyone experienced a "rough start". The best way I can explain this is, my truck spits and sputters as if it's not getting enough fuel like when yiu first try to start a lawn mower after you've run it out of gas. This only happens on the first start of the day, doesn't matter if it's 0500 or 2pm. After that every start is smooth. I want to say it's an injector or fuel pump, but I would think it would continue to start rough all the time.

The truck hasn't thrown a code of any sort, I've filled up at different gas stations thinking maybe I got bad gas, and there is no performance issues. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

OP
OP
C

Camren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque
I only put 89 octane in mine. I did use an injector cleaner and it seemed to help, once I get it in the shop, I'll follow up with what they found.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did some reading. Sounds like there are two constant themes with people experiencing this. There is a PCM flash that was made to address this issue. Another approach was a TPS reset (throttle position sensor). Another person says his fix was getting away from low octane fuel. I don't agree that low octane fuel would cause the issue unless is was low quality, low octane fuel. These engines should adjust themselves "up or down" for octane, performing better on higher octane as a result, but not causing idle issues on lower octane. Attached a screen shot of the described TPS reset.

Attachments

• tps.png
    tps.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
C

Camren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque
Thanks for the info!! I'll try to reset the TPS and see if that does anything and reply with results. As the truck is still under warranty it's going in to have then run diagnostics. When it says poor fuel quality, is it referring to the Octane (87 vs 89) or more in line of where the gas station sources thier fuel (shell vs Exon)?