2022 Ram 1500 Throttle/downshifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
My 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L engine has some quirks that affect drivability. I bought the truck with less than 1100 miles on it last summer. When taking off, there is sometimes a slight lag in throttle response, similar to a bad accelerator pump (if anyone reading this is old enough to remember those.) Sometimes it will surge under steady throttle. Coming to a stop, it makes one or two rapid downshifts similar to what you would get if you quickly operated a paddle shifter. You can feel the deceleration. Sometimes it feels like the torque converter has stayed locked up too long. I’ve had it into my local dealership a couple of times, but they haven’t been able to find anything. I’m worried about the long term effect this may have on the transmission. Finally, when the truck downshifts it may accelerate briefly which is unnerving. I’ve learned to drive the truck like I have an egg under my foot on the gas pedal. A 2022 Grand Cherokee loaner the dealer gave me had the same engine and transmission and exhibited none of these symptoms. Has anyone else experienced the same issues? If so, have they been resolved, and how? Thanks.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Has the dealer checked the fluid level in the transmission?

And yes, I hear ya on what a bad accelerator pump feels like...lol ;)
Dating myself a bit, too :)

Are you comfortable and confident with this dealer?
If you have any doubts and/or questions about it, perhaps source another dealer and speak to the Service Manager and their Senior Tech/Shop Foreman one-to-one.

Sometimes speaking to a Service Advisor is like talking the kid at McDonalds taking your drive-thru order.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The annoying downshift is normal my 2014 does it every 8 speed i have ever been in has done it if you dont press hard on brakes when downshifting its not as bad its a tune issue no one has ever figured out. And your other issue you may be feeling mds or Etorque not sure how that works kicking on and off hence why we all hate it and tune it out mds put it in tow haul mode and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
My dealer has been pretty good in the past, with a couple of exceptions. My service write is a a car guy and pretty knowledgeable. I’ve known him for seven years and three vehicles. I am taking it in for an oil change soon, and I plan to speak with him about it again. I don’t think it is the e-torque, and, as I mentioned, I drove another same year vehicle with the same engine/trans combo and it exhibited none of these issues with the exception of being a little cold-natured until it warmed up. I was hoping someone on this forum had a similar experience with a fix they coudl recommend. When I first got the truck it was a safety problem because it would surge on light throttle sometimes when applying throttle. This got to be a little exciting when parking, or taking off when there were pedestrians around.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealer has been pretty good in the past, with a couple of exceptions. My service write is a a car guy and pretty knowledgeable. I’ve known him for seven years and three vehicles. I am taking it in for an oil change soon, and I plan to speak with him about it again. I don’t think it is the e-torque, and, as I mentioned, I drove another same year vehicle with the same engine/trans combo and it exhibited none of these issues with the exception of being a little cold-natured until it warmed up. I was hoping someone on this forum had a similar experience with a fix they coudl recommend. When I first got the truck it was a safety problem because it would surge on light throttle sometimes when applying throttle. This got to be a little exciting when parking, or taking off when there were pedestrians around.
Let us know what they say about the downshifting no one has been able to fix it been years. Also after looking into it more it does sort of sound like your truck has a Etorque issue as it kicks in for low speeds I am sure they will figure that part out.

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Is there any indication on the instrument cluster when the e-torque kicks in? I’m ashamed to admit I’ve only glanced at the owner’s manual, but I can’t remember seeing anything about e-torque activation indicators.I will follow up after the oil change in the next week or so. Thanks.