2023 Diesel Ram Rebel 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I'm looking at the Ram website and it is showing the tow capacity for the Cummins being much LOWER than the gas engine. NOT the payload, but the towing....What's up with that?

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There’s no way the 6.4 Hemi will out tow a 6.7 Cummins. Cause if it were true, why buy a diesel?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm looking at the Ram website and it is showing the tow capacity for the Cummins being much LOWER than the gas engine. NOT the payload, but the towing....What's up with that?

Lets see the weight of the diesel & transmission is a good place to start, I would also guess to get the Hemi to be able tow more would be rear gears, the diesel will most likely have 3.73, the Hemi either 4.10 or 4.44, another guess is fuel capacity where the diesel has a bigger tank the Hemi, add in other items used with the 6.7 that add extra weight that will lower max tow rating...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I speculate that the rear "locker" may be a limitation due to the torque of the Diesel. But this is just my 2c because there appears to be nothing else special about the rebel vs a standard 2500 that could limit tow capacity.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what is this, another Power Wagon but not a Power Wagon because of the diesel and obviously no lockers and sway-bar disconnects but a Power Wagon because of the factory winch? I'm confused. Or is this an answer to the Tremor but without being a full on Power Wagon?

OP
OP
Scottly

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Lets see the weight of the diesel & transmission is a good place to start, I would also guess to get the Hemi to be able tow more would be rear gears, the diesel will most likely have 3.73, the Hemi either 4.10 or 4.44, another guess is fuel capacity where the diesel has a bigger tank the Hemi, add in other items used with the 6.7 that add extra weight that will lower max tow rating...

While the standard Tradesman has towing capacity of 20K lbs with the same powerplant? Sorry...That sumbitch ain't got 4k lbs of accessory weight

OP
OP
Scottly

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
So what is this, another Power Wagon but not a Power Wagon because of the diesel and obviously no lockers and sway-bar disconnects but a Power Wagon because of the factory winch? I'm confused. Or is this an answer to the Tremor but without being a full on Power Wagon?
It's the answer to the 1/2 ton rebel owners who want to step up to a real truck :hidesbehindsofa:

OP
OP
Scottly

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I speculate that the rear "locker" may be a limitation due to the torque of the Diesel. But this is just my 2c because there appears to be nothing else special about the rebel vs a standard 2500 that could limit tow capacity.

This seems like the only plausible explanation so far.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I still believe that being there is only 1970 Lbs different in max tow weight between the two engines, the heavier weight of the diesel engine & trans along with gearing factor into why the Hemi gets to tow a whole 1970 Lbs more then the Cummins per the website that also has a discloser pop up box that states for the Hemi to tow that weight it has to be "properly equipped" so not all PW with a Hemi will tow the max weight listed...

me2ri2t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First off if you did some more research instead of coming here bashing the truck you dont leave with your foot in your Mouth. 06 Dodge guy is correct the Diesel engine is the answer to it being heavier, hence the lower tow capacity. If you were a true truck guy that is always towing you would be the diesel buying truck lover anyways it just simple logic. If you are like me and many others you are just occasionaly towinfgstuff like a camper 5th wheel, its a perfect option. Again why speak out your four points of contact and bash a brand you drive. Again 06 DODGE guy you are spot on.