2104 Dodge Ram 1550 gas not filling up very quickly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Hi everyone. I have had a few posts up about my 2014 Ram 1500 5'7l v8 hemi not taking in gas very quickly at the pump. So I had a friend of mine, an ex mechanic, try to blast some air through the gas filler tube. At one point air definitely came through. he was underneath the truck so the air came out the vent hole right under the gas cap. And then we tested it a few more times and then no air came out. He has come to the conclusion that the issue might be a fuel vapor re-circulation tube. he let me know that a valve, or something like that was not opening on the return vapors trying to exit. My apologies for not having the correct terminology as I am in no way a mechanic. Any thoughts on this?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Check your Purge Valve first, it is close to the throttle body
Next check the ESIM, is is connected to the Charcoal cannister by a short hose

try blowing a mouthful of air through the Purge Valve, if you succeed, replace it

May i suggest, that you never top off your Fuel tank, it ruins the tank & connected parts

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I had a similar problem with my fuel tank, where it would take gas but never click the pump off resulting in fuel over flow, or constant monitoring of gas pumped.

I spent about 4 hours doing research and talked to a few ram mechanics who thoughtfully pointed me to item 16, 17, 18 and 19 on the attached diagram.

About $90 in parts, an hour of time, some unique twisting to get my hand on top of the tank. And this fixed my issue.

I believe the problem is a defective purge valve (item 17) and clogged filter (item 19). Primarily from over filling the tank by "topping off".at the pump.

Now when the pump clicks, I stop pumping.

I hope this helps

AIRLORDD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 6.4
Hi everyone. I have had a few posts up about my 2014 Ram 1500 5'7l v8 hemi not taking in gas very quickly at the pump. So I had a friend of mine, an ex mechanic, try to blast some air through the gas filler tube. At one point air definitely came through. he was underneath the truck so the air came out the vent hole right under the gas cap. And then we tested it a few more times and then no air came out. He has come to the conclusion that the issue might be a fuel vapor re-circulation tube. he let me know that a valve, or something like that was not opening on the return vapors trying to exit. My apologies for not having the correct terminology as I am in no way a mechanic. Any thoughts on this?
Check the hose that goes from the filler neck to the tank. I haa 2024 thaT THE HOSE BECAME KINKED AND THE gas would not go in.. I replaced the hose and all was fixed.