22 Power Wagon MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't expect to be wowed by my gas mileage but 8.5 city mpg seems exceptionally low. I see a lot of comments of folks getting 10+ in the city. Why am I the low man out here?...

Stock Level 2 except for some cosmetics and a Flomaster 50 series.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
There's city traffic and there's city traffic. What some people consider a city may have them taking 4 stop lights and idling for a max of 6-8 minutes in traffic or at lights. Do you get through the turn lane in one cycle of the lights or do you need 2? What's your city look like?

My city milage can vary dramatically based on if it's 2am or 4pm just due to traffic differences and how long I need to idle at a light on 4 way flash vs a cycling light. Assuming you actually wait at a light at 2am with no traffic, I'm not telling you how to live your life.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn’t sound horribly off to me! I average 9.5-11mpg living in the hills! No matter where I go, I have a long grade uphill! I lose .3-.4 running home from town during a 6 mile drive! Funny enough, I only get .1-.2 back driving to town, even trying to coast as much as possible!

I’ve only had 2 tanks over 12mpg in 36,000 miles! Both were running the highway at 77-78mph!

‘18 PowerWagon(6-speed), 35”(34.25”) Yokohama X-MTs, ARE cap and Decked drawers, spare, 200+lbs tools/gear!image.jpgimage.jpg

OP
OP
Fselrahc

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's city traffic and there's city traffic. What some people consider a city may have them taking 4 stop lights and idling for a max of 6-8 minutes in traffic or at lights. Do you get through the turn lane in one cycle of the lights or do you need 2? What's your city look like?

My city milage can vary dramatically based on if it's 2am or 4pm just due to traffic differences and how long I need to idle at a light on 4 way flash vs a cycling light. Assuming you actually wait at a light at 2am with no traffic, I'm not telling you how to live your life.
Its more rural-city. 25 mph everywhere. Lots of stop signs and 1, maybe 2 stop traffic signals. I don't experience any "real" traffic.

Seattle is full of lights that cycle in the middle of the night with NO cross-traffic. I prefer not to wait for the imaginary traffic to cross. :oops:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive driven my power wagon since new (7 years now) and have never seen anything over 13mpg. I mainly do country style driving though (theres one stop light in our entire county). Yours with the 8 speed will do much better cruising, but city driving in an 8000 pound v8 pickup truck is just gonna suck no matter what.

OP
OP
Fselrahc

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I just need to change my display and quit watching it and enjoy this amazing truck!

We have a boat that holds 300 gallons of diesel. I use to make a lot of colorful noise about the cost of filling it up. My wife pointed out that if I couldn't afford the fuel I had no business owning the boat. I figure I need to take a similar approach with my PW.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I just need to change my display and quit watching it and enjoy this amazing truck!

We have a boat that holds 300 gallons of diesel. I use to make a lot of colorful noise about the cost of filling it up. My wife pointed out that if I couldn't afford the fuel I had no business owning the boat. I figure I need to take a similar approach with my PW.
Meh, just because you can afford it dosnt mean its fun paying for it ! I get a little salty every time i fill my truck up, no matter how much i like the truck haaaaa.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't expect to be wowed by my gas mileage but 8.5 city mpg seems exceptionally low. I see a lot of comments of folks getting 10+ in the city. Why am I the low man out here?...

Stock Level 2 except for some cosmetics and a Flomaster 50 series.
It's really hard to compare "city MPG" numbers because there are so many variables. What one person calls city driving can be very different compared to what somebody else considers city driving. Also a big difference in how you may be driving it. If you like listening to the Flowmaster sing the MPG is going to be lower!

sduncan86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On stock tires I was getting 12 in town, 15-16 on the highway. Now with 37s, 10 -11 in town. Haven’t been on a highway long enough to see what I’ll get there.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its more rural-city. 25 mph everywhere. Lots of stop signs and 1, maybe 2 stop traffic signals. I don't experience any "real" traffic.

Seattle is full of lights that cycle in the middle of the night with NO cross-traffic. I prefer not to wait for the imaginary traffic to cross. :oops:
Sounds a lot like where I live and I get the same or a bit worse. But I fully expected that when I bought the trhck. When doing errands around town I usually use my wife's car unless I need to haul something. I bought a 3/4 ton truck for its towing capability (or off road in the case of a power wagon). Use the correct tool for the job at hand ;)

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds a lot like where I live and I get the same or a bit worse. But I fully expected that when I bought the trhck. When doing errands around town I usually use my wife's car unless I need to haul something. I bought a 3/4 ton truck for its towing capability (or off road in the case of a power wagon). Use the correct tool for the job at hand ;)
Maybe he doesn't have a wife.....and this is his only tool to drive...

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it's not an option for everyone, but have had a second car to drive to work for 10 years now. Current car was bought new 2 years ago (prior to that bought used cars, but Covid made used car prices just stupid high) and is a decent midsize/mid-level car, so not some beater or eco-box, but does get over 3 times the fuel mileage of the PW. I "save" around $250 per month just in fuel costs driving the car to work. While I know the fuel costs alone don't completely compensate for the cost of the car I also take into consideration maintenance costs and the replacement costs of the vehicle. Every maintenance aspect of the car is at least half or less as much as the PW. Tires are probably the main thing especially since I run 37's. The car tires last twice as long and cost half as much to replace. If driving the PW I would be dropping close to $2k every 2 years for tires where as it is maybe $800 every 3-4 years on the car. The final thing is the replacement cost of the vehicles. I'm the type who keeps vehicles until they have high mileage and start having issues because they are worn out. Replacing the car, even if buying new, is quite a bit less than half the cost of a new PW.
Just to clarify, I don't do this strictly for financial reasons. Part of me hates wearing out a lifted PW on 37's on the boring work commute everyday. Also if you drive the PW everyday at some point it just becomes an old worn out truck you are driving. Plus I like modifying the truck and think it's hard to justify many modifications if you are getting a new one every so many years.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here we go again! Expect under 10 it's a POWER WAGON. Just enjoy your ride.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Doesn’t sound horribly off to me! I average 9.5-11mpg living in the hills! No matter where I go, I have a long grade uphill! I lose .3-.4 running home from town during a 6 mile drive! Funny enough, I only get .1-.2 back driving to town, even trying to coast as much as possible!

I’ve only had 2 tanks over 12mpg in 36,000 miles! Both were running the highway at 77-78mph!

‘18 PowerWagon(6-speed), 35”(34.25”) Yokohama X-MTs, ARE cap and Decked drawers, spare, 200+lbs tools/gear!View attachment 523649View attachment 523650
I like this for sure. Just load that thing up and go! 8/10/12 who cares just enjoy the hell out of it.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know it's not an option for everyone, but have had a second car to drive to work for 10 years now. Current car was bought new 2 years ago (prior to that bought used cars, but Covid made used car prices just stupid high) and is a decent midsize/mid-level car, so not some beater or eco-box, but does get over 3 times the fuel mileage of the PW. I "save" around $250 per month just in fuel costs driving the car to work. While I know the fuel costs alone don't completely compensate for the cost of the car I also take into consideration maintenance costs and the replacement costs of the vehicle. Every maintenance aspect of the car is at least half or less as much as the PW. Tires are probably the main thing especially since I run 37's. The car tires last twice as long and cost half as much to replace. If driving the PW I would be dropping close to $2k every 2 years for tires where as it is maybe $800 every 3-4 years on the car. The final thing is the replacement cost of the vehicles. I'm the type who keeps vehicles until they have high mileage and start having issues because they are worn out. Replacing the car, even if buying new, is quite a bit less than half the cost of a new PW.
Just to clarify, I don't do this strictly for financial reasons. Part of me hates wearing out a lifted PW on 37's on the boring work commute everyday. Also if you drive the PW everyday at some point it just becomes an old worn out truck you are driving. Plus I like modifying the truck and think it's hard to justify many modifications if you are getting a new one every so many years.
Im in a similar situation. I have 2020 turbo Mustang that gets excellent gas mileage. I use it to run to appointments and such and my truck and full time truck camper sits on those days.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 2022 with 35 inch Duratracs gets 12 to 13 average.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not driving a crappy 2nd car to save money...just drive and enjoy...ive had the pleasure about 3 or 4 times filling the PW...someone will say...glad I don't have to fill that up...me...well glad I dont have drive that...usually ends the convo