2500 6.4 exhaust options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I went by my local exhaust place that did all my other trucks and asked about swapping out the factory muffler for a Magnaflow. They looked at it, and said they could not do the job, as they could not bent 3.5" pipe? I guess all my other trucks had smaller diameter exhaust. So looking what was available, I saw the Magnaflow has a cutback, kit# 15332/15333 it looks nice except the $800 price tag. I have also seen the mufflex set up that you can buy online.

So anyone have any experience with either set up on their trucks yet? I had a question on the Mufflex, I guess I will email them directly, but from their picture, could not tell if the kit cam with something to replace the factory resonator, or if their muffler was supposed to bolt up to the resonator.

Anyone know of any other options out there?

Thanks,

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The mufflex kit I ordered should be in tomorrow. I can give you feedback on it soon. A guy on the other forum gave it rave reviews. We shall see....

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh yeah. Subscribed.
I gotta do something to open this baby up and let her breathe.

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ I agree.

I cancelled my order on the mufflex muffler delete kit. The choke point on the stock system is just after the cats. The magnaflow and mufflex options do not address that issue.

I'm currently looking for an exhaust shop in my area to install a dual 3" system.

OP
OP
Blackout 6.4

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^^^ I agree.

I cancelled my order on the mufflex muffler delete kit. The choke point on the stock system is just after the cats. The magnaflow and mufflex options do not address that issue.

I'm currently looking for an exhaust shop in my area to install a dual 3" system.

I asked about that choke point as well, here is the response I got from my exhaust shop, not sure I buy it, but kind of makes sense.

He said both converters flow into a single 3.5" pipe which goes into the muffler. Since there are 2 converter pipes flowing into the single pipe, the restriction from the 2 pipes does not really matter, as only so much air can flow into the single 3.5 pipe anyway, so even if you open up the pipes, if they still flow into the single pipe, only so much will go. Now if you switch to a dual in muffler or run 2 mufflers, then cutting out the choke point and running each pipe into it's own muffler would make sense. Since I was still planning to use a single in muffler from Magnaflow it reasoned to to mess with the restricted Y pipe.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Installed the mufflex tonight. Easy job, straight forward. All I needed was a battery impact and a rubber mallet. The sound is awesome! Nice rumble outside, very little noise in the cab. If you run it up to 4k in park the engine noise is louder than exhaust.
Overall I give it a solid A. I thought about duals but after some reading on exhaust velocity and it's affect on low end torque, I opted against it. I pull a trailer about 300 miles week and it wasn't worth risking an already good thing with 6.4.
I have a 200 mile trip tomorrow so I will see if there is any power gains/losses and report back.

OP
OP
Blackout 6.4

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Installed the mufflex tonight. Easy job, straight forward. All I needed was a battery impact and a rubber mallet. The sound is awesome! Nice rumble outside, very little noise in the cab. If you run it up to 4k in park the engine noise is louder than exhaust.
Overall I give it a solid A. I thought about duals but after some reading on exhaust velocity and it's affect on low end torque, I opted against it. I pull a trailer about 300 miles week and it wasn't worth risking an already good thing with 6.4.
I have a 200 mile trip tomorrow so I will see if there is any power gains/losses and report back.

So does the mufflex bolt up to the resonator, or does it replace the whole tailpipe section out the back to the stock location. The tailpipe connected the the muffler in their picture does not look long enough to extend all the way back to the bumper?
Thanks,

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would imagine it leaves the factory resonator, and the hemi's are notorious for tq loss if you open the exhaust up to much.

OP
OP
Blackout 6.4

Blackout 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I decided to take a chance and bought the Magnaflow cat back system #15332

Should be here by next week and hopefully will not have any issues with getting it installed.

Will post up impressions and pics once installed.

Mike

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I decided to take a chance and bought the Magnaflow cat back system #15332

Should be here by next week and hopefully will not have any issues with getting it installed.

Will post up impressions and pics once installed.

Mike
Can't wait to hear how its gonna sound and what you think about any performance gains.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please elaborate about Hemi and tq loss.

With our small exhuast manifolds and cats/ as long as you keep duals at 2 to 3 inches and a single to 3.5 inches, our 6.4's still have plenty of back pressure... Some people who open up the exhaust to much loose back pressure and lose torgue/hp. Talking ported headers and straight piped out with no muffler.. way to much flow for a stock motor.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With our small exhuast manifolds and cats/ as long as you keep duals at 2 to 3 inches and a single to 3.5 inches, our 6.4's still have plenty of back pressure... Some people who open up the exhaust to much loose back pressure and lose torgue/hp. Talking ported headers and straight piped out with no muffler.. way to much flow for a stock motor.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Well that's the same for any motor.
He was saying specifically the Hemi.
That's why I asked.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6.4 dude / how'd the trip go??..Any drone??? Did you remove the resonator???? Dammit man i need answers.. :crazy:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So does the mufflex bolt up to the resonator, or does it replace the whole tailpipe section out the back to the stock location. The tailpipe connected the the muffler in their picture does not look long enough to extend all the way back to the bumper?
Thanks,

It replaces the stock muffler only. Resonator stays....

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
6.4 dude / how'd the trip go??..Any drone??? Did you remove the resonator???? Dammit man i need answers.. :crazy:

Very little drone w MDS active. Again the sound is damn sweet outside the cab. I took for a test drive at work last night after install. I work at a power plant that sits on a couple hundred acres. My co worker could hear it rumbling at 1/4 mile away(wot), even w all the noise from the plant.
Seat of the pants saying stronger off the line, better throttle response.
My wife drove the entire trip( my ****** hurts from midnights) and she flogs the **** outta everything she drives (gas turbo beetle) so I can't give a fair review on mpgs yet. Evic showed 16.6 with her hemi foot though.
My son ran my porta pot route this afternoon and his numbers looked good. Around 1.5 better than average, pulling a 5000 lb trailer.
I left the resonator on. Gonna try to give it a go w/o it this wknd.
More feedback to come w a 4 day wknd coming up.

Last edited:

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
On the drive home this morning I decided to really kick her fat ass. The power gains are solid. It feels more like my 12' 5.7 scsb now. Lots of get up and go. Now I got a hemi foot! Money well spent...