2wd lift issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BiroRamRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. So i got a 2016 RT with a 3" coil spacer.
I think the spacer makes the suspension return way to fast. (Rides like crap).. Im on my way home now beating the ****nout of my passenger side because shock decided to take a poop on me. Hopefully damage wont be more before i get a new shock/strut. So heres my questions.
1. Does anyone know the stock extended shock length for a 2016 RT 2wd? Its either 14-16"? Just need to know exactly what the length is.

2. I am not interested in spindles. Sonis there any complete coils that i can install instead and get 3".

3. Does anyone else have this problem?

4. I have also been thinking of going down to 2.5" coil spacer instead of 3".. Does anyone have a 2.5? If so how is the ride?
Thanks guys

Guys UPDATE!!!! I will probably make a new post but hes another question. Is anyone running CST coils? The 2"-3" coil? If so how does it ride. I think im going with those?!?!?!? Just not sure how much better the ride will be? Spindles better?

Last edited:

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
I have a 2005, older but similar suspension, I run the rough country lift which provides new coils and shocks, rides fine, it rides like a truck, obviously it's no minivan, but runs like stock.

Reo Cook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Throw a set of 2.5" maxtrac springs on it with longer shocks. I have the 7" kit with the spindles and springs but it can all be purchased separately. There is also a Bilstein option for shocks to improve the quality even further. Slightly stiffer than stock but still rides great

A 3" spacer is too big for these trucks. The suspension doesn't like it and it loads the stock spring too much making a super stiff ride. After I had a 2.5" spacer on my 11 I promised I would never have them again. Going the new spring way on my 14 was definitely a good investment and worth the extra coin

OP
OP
BiroRamRT

BiroRamRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2005, older but similar suspension, I run the rough country lift which provides new coils and shocks, rides fine, it rides like a truck, obviously it's no minivan, but runs like stock.

Thats for 2wd? As far as i know they don't make anything for newer models from RC

OP
OP
BiroRamRT

BiroRamRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea i saw that max trac offers a package of springs and shocks. Inthink ima go with those. cST sells a coil aswell but the coils are almost double the price from CST

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't matter if its a spacer or a new coil. You will have the same problem either way. There is only so much we can do without spindles. Maybe, just maybe since the Maxtrac coils aren't really taller they're just stiffer, you may have a better experience with those. When I put my 1.5" spacer on the ride in the front was extremely bouncy. I put on Maxtrac 0-2" shocks on the front but it caused my upper control arms to hammer the hell out of the coil buckets. Next I ordered Bilstein 4600's and all is well.

OP
OP
BiroRamRT

BiroRamRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't matter if its a spacer or a new coil. You will have the same problem either way. There is only so much we can do without spindles. Maybe, just maybe since the Maxtrac coils aren't really taller they're just stiffer, you may have a better experience with those. When I put my 1.5" spacer on the ride in the front was extremely bouncy. I put on Maxtrac 0-2" shocks on the front but it caused my upper control arms to hammer the hell out of the coil buckets. Next I ordered Bilstein 4600's and all is well.

Yea i had that issue with the longer shocks. I ordered 2.5" max trac coils with bilatein shocks. I don't want a spacer anymore ima can my spacer. The warehouse is local for maxtrac so i should have my parts tomarrow

OP
OP
BiroRamRT

BiroRamRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Throw a set of 2.5" maxtrac springs on it with longer shocks. I have the 7" kit with the spindles and springs but it can all be purchased separately. There is also a Bilstein option for shocks to improve the quality even further. Slightly stiffer than stock but still rides great

A 3" spacer is too big for these trucks. The suspension doesn't like it and it loads the stock spring too much making a super stiff ride. After I had a 2.5" spacer on my 11 I promised I would never have them again. Going the new spring way on my 14 was definitely a good investment and worth the extra coin

The longer shock creates the contact of the UPA with the coil bucket doesn't it? I ordered the bilstein package from maxtac i hope this changes the ride

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The longer shock creates the contact of the UPA with the coil bucket doesn't it? I ordered the bilstein package from maxtac i hope this changes the ride

That's exactly what causes it. Maybe Maxtrac has their setup figured out and it will be better, but you may still get some contact.

OP
OP
BiroRamRT

BiroRamRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's exactly what causes it. Maybe Maxtrac has their setup figured out and it will be better, but you may still get some contact.

I think everyone with maxtrac runs stock length shocks. Im assuming its a stock bilstein shock length. Fingers crossed

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2.5" front spacer. Ride is a lot more bouncy but I didn't install the shock extensions. IM Going to install them and see if there's a difference. I also plan on upgrading to either bilsteins or Rancho's I'm sure that's going to help a lot. Only time I notice the bounciness is on speed bumps and road humps. Other than that all is golden. A lot of us spacer guys just need to upgrade shocks and we are good. Next up for me is installing my 1.5" rear spacer and then a 3" body lift. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will still fit in the garage