3.0 eco diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Auberger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone have any experiences with the eco diesel. Currently looking at a 2014 eco diesel just looking for insight of any engine issues and if it is even worth having for a daily driver.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Well that’s a broad and contentious area of discussion.
Suggest reading through the many threads in the EcoDiesel forums.

FYI I have a 2014 ED as my daily, and am very happy with it.

Only mods are the GDE EPA tune, and LEDs throughout.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Auberger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well that’s a broad and contentious area of discussion.
Suggest reading through the many threads in the EcoDiesel forums.

FYI I have a 2014 ED as my daily, and am very happy with it.

Only mods are the GDE EPA tune, and LEDs throughout.

I understand it is a broad question I had an old 5.9 Cummins and loved it. I do understand this will not be the same kinds diesel. I am looking for more of a have people seen large issue. Is the maintenance crazy on them. Do they seem overly sluggish. I know first think I will be looking for is to get rid of the def fluid I’m sure there are some deletes out there that generally makes a diesel run much better.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I understand it is a broad question I had an old 5.9 Cummins and loved it
What he meant was this is a very Hemi biased forum and questions like this are usually meet with lots of negativity.
As for any delete tunes, you'll most likely have to look north of the boarder(Canada) as the EPA has squashed all the big players.
I'm guessing the truck most likely has the factory AEM, there is a street legal tune available from GDE(only one available) but as you guessed all the emissions stuff works.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I understand it is a broad question I had an old 5.9 Cummins and loved it. I do understand this will not be the same kinds diesel. I am looking for more of a have people seen large issue. Is the maintenance crazy on them. Do they seem overly sluggish. I know first think I will be looking for is to get rid of the def fluid I’m sure there are some deletes out there that generally makes a diesel run much better.

Will removing the def system affect the expensive filter in the exhaust system ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Will removing the def system affect the expensive filter in the exhaust system ?
If he tunes it to not use DEF, the DOC/DPF along with SCR are usually removed completely. He could have a custom tune made just to not use DEF but most eliminate all of the emissions stuff included the ERG cooler.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think the 2014 is the Gen II ECO engine? You guys might want to point him to the issues with this version that were fixed with the Gen III ECO (date?)

I remember reading about it out of interest when I was debating ECO / 1500 vs. 6.4L Hemi / 2500 (which I bought).

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think the 2014 is the Gen II ECO engine? You guys might want to point him to the issues with this version that were fixed with the Gen III ECO (date?)

Despite what is floating around on the internet, the Gen2 EcoDiesel engine is what is in the DS body trucks('14-18). The Gen3 EcoDiesel engines are in the new DT body trucks('20-'21).
When people mention a Gen1 EcoDiesel, there wasn't one unless referring to the original Cadillac prototype. That design was bored, stroked and various other mods for emissions and fitment into the Ram truck.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Despite what is floating around on the internet, the Gen2 EcoDiesel engine is what is in the DS body trucks('14-18). The Gen3 EcoDiesel engines are in the new DT body trucks('20-'21).
When people mention a Gen1 EcoDiesel, there wasn't one unless referring to the original Cadillac prototype. That design was bored, stroked and various other mods for emissions and fitment into the Ram truck.

Not sure what this means. I read about issues with rod bearings, EGR, etc. with Gen II. On this site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963