3.0 EcoDiesel Reviews Needed (Real World)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ItsARubiconDay

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
Hi All, I've been poking around these forums a little, but the RAM forums are a bit foreign to me as I'm Jeep guy, (can we be FCA cousins?). I'm barging in today to ask for actual usage reviews on the new 3.0 ecodiesel they're putting in the new Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator. I ask here because there is no clear answer over there. I'm seeing a lot of comments that it's just completely plagued with issues, that it can't be any good if its italian. Hoping to get some real world owners here to give me some honest reviews. To me, it sounds like long drives and working it are the keys to healthy longevity on that engine, not stop light to stop light, mall crawling. My commute 5-6 days a week is 25-35 miles one way, 90% highway, and I would use it as an off roader usually every other weekend.

Let me apologize up front if this isn't kosher, but really looking for actual owners will good mileage on them and get real opinions.

Thanks all in advance for any input.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
86,000 miles on my 2015, did have to have the crank position wheel and sensor replaced recently other then that minimal issues.
The last 4 years have been short trips lots of idling averaging 20-24 mpg overall low of 18 one tank full high of 29 one tank full.
I enjoy the low end torque and response of the engine, I think it would be nice in a Jeep.

OP
OP
I

ItsARubiconDay

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
Thanks @LouM for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the new 3.0 is a 3rd(?) Generation, started this year, at least for the Jeep. I think it's been in the RAM as an option for 1-2 years. IF, IF I'm right, yours is a 2nd Gen and supposedly is better. The 3rd Gen has "80% all new parts" per FCA.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Thanks @LouM for the info. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the new 3.0 is a 3rd(?) Generation, started this year, at least for the Jeep. I think it's been in the RAM as an option for 1-2 years. IF, IF I'm right, yours is a 2nd Gen and supposedly is better. The 3rd Gen has "80% all new parts" per FCA.

The new ecodiesel engine in the 2020 Rams and the Jeeps are a 3rd Gen engine yes. As far as being better or not, it probably is too soon to tell.

there are people that have/had a 1st gen engine and made it 300,000 miles or more on it, and there are some that had their truck catch fire at 15,000 miles and burn to the ground.

now that there’s not really a company offering the capability to remove emissions components, will they still last or will that hinder them? Not sure. But again, by FCA’s account, the new ones are the best yet so take it for what it’s worth?

a 30 mile commute on the highway would be well enough for the Engine to regen and burn out the soot without issue, so you would most likely be fine in that regard.

bohrman44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I have a 2015 Eco all stock. 88K miles. I did add a pedal commander (a must) I bought mine right as the EPA basically shut down companies in the US that can sell Deleting stuff. I'll be honest, I love it! I pull a camper from time to time, and the low end torque is awesome! it gets great fuel mileage, and I like the quietness of it...if you go on other forums or FB pages you will see countless gripes complaints. IMO a lot of guys have issues if they don't do the regular maint and use the correct filters, oils and such. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Obviously there's always lemons in the bunch

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
My 2015 crew is at 101000 miles, 40000 on a new engine N/C per Ram. Tow yearly AZ to ID and back 7500 lb TT plus gear. No complaints here. Also go off road and never use Lo range. Would buy a new one but I figure I'll get 250k to 300k miles.

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I have had mine 2020 for only two days. No regrets. Much greater power and speed than I anticipated (I did not test drive one). The mileage readout on highway sits 30-35 mpg. Thats all I can say for now on Ecodiesel part.
As far as the truck overall, much more advanced and comfortable than by Toyota Tundra. I hope to get lucky on reliability.

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
Loved my 15, love my 2020 more. I'm on my first non-towing tank of fuel. I've driven 369 miles with 417 left to go at my present burn rate...pretty cool.

Iceclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I just traded my 2014 Laramie for a 2020 limited. I collected the settlement cash and liked many things about my 2014. However it was plagued by a electrical issue that the dealer just couldn't resolve. They made me a VERY attractive offer on the trade (considering we were both frustrated with my truck, they threw a lot of service hours and parts at the rig on their dime) so I jumped on the deal for the last 2020 Eco on the lot. The limited is of course incredibly luxurious. The manners while greatly improved still have that annoying pedal lag when cold, but any diesel will. Once warm that goes away. I plan on addressing that the same way I did on the 2014, with a pedal commander type device, when I get around to it. The power and torque is certainly improved. I tow pretty heavy and the 2020 feels roughly the same, the air suspension does work well with some caveats. First the computer detects the weight and selects the height and will not allow a change. That isn't really a concern, the truck seems to know what to do. However one thing that really is apparent, this 2020 does not like the wind while towing. No 1500 class truck will do well towing heavy in the wind, but the air ride has a different manner than the regular suspension. I had air bags on the rear of the old rig and it was nice to be able to adjust them on the fly. When it was windy or bouncy I could crank them up and affect the ride. At the end the day, towing anything in the wind sucks and I prefer to avoid it. If you don't tow then you can discount my opinion. However the ride of the 2020 normally, is phenomenal. Mileage, phenomenal. Technology, phenomenal. Performance, slightly improved. Attention from everyone...too much. I get approached constantly by old dudes wanting to ask questions and chat me up. Considering the virus I prefer to keep my distance.
I am glad I traded up.

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
Just towed the camper for the 2nd time with my 2020. This trip taken twice earlier in the summer resulted in less than 12mpg with my AEM'd '15 Laramie. With the 2020 I got 14.8 EVIC mpg on the way out (1100ft elev down to 0) and 13.8 mpg (0 up to 1100ft) on the way home. I'm pretty happy with that.

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
A month in and still on my first tank. I towed a flatbed yesterday and felt much more confident than my Tundra and I really like the ability to turn on rear camera to check trailer while driving. I have a Limited with built in brake controller and really like that feature.
Mileage is amazing and I am very happy with performance, especally once its up to speed. Acceleration at highway speeds is very satisfying. Slow to start but I am totally ok with that.

Iceclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Update; added pedal commander, worth every penny. Added Mopar bed step, worth every penny. Spyder roll up bed cover, same. 1.5 inch forged spacers, worth 5x price. Improved looks, stance and tow manners. Just towed roughly 9k pounds of camper 400 miles, averaged 15.7 mpg. Also learned that it's important to leave your bed as empty as possible so you don't trigger the payload safety on the air suspension. I was able to get into aero mode while towing no problemo. Pretty impressive for a 3.0 diesel, at 60 mph there were a few times I forgot I was towing 34 feet of camper.

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
Update; added pedal commander, worth every penny. Added Mopar bed step, worth every penny. Spyder roll up bed cover, same. 1.5 inch forged spacers, worth 5x price. Improved looks, stance and tow manners. Just towed roughly 9k pounds of camper 400 miles, averaged 15.7 mpg. Also learned that it's important to leave your bed as empty as possible so you don't trigger the payload safety on the air suspension. I was able to get into aero mode while towing no problemo. Pretty impressive for a 3.0 diesel, at 60 mph there were a few times I forgot I was towing 34 feet of camper.
Which step, corner of center?

Iceclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Which step, corner of center?
The Mopar factory one.

https://www.factorymopardirect.com/oem-parts/mopar-assist-steps-bed-step-82215289ag

Can't remember if I bought it there, but that is the correct part number for my Limited and the best price. Even with my military discount at the stealer it was like 400 ? Dead simple installation but you need to disconnect one major electrical connector and thread it back through to accommodate the step. Once installed it is in a word, sweet.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
My 2018 ecodiesel was really quiet and very fuel efficient, even when towing. Didn't like cold weather very much, and almost refused to start on morning at 18 degrees F. Launched a fuel filter error code that had to go to the dealer to shut off. I did all of the frequent maintenance at the dealership.
I towed lots, but not real heavy. It threw a rod towing about 4500 pounds up a steep grade.
The dealer couldn't get a replacement long block from Mopar, like ever. They were even looking on Craigslist.
But they at least gave me a trade-in based on a running truck. Test driving the next gen ecodiesel seems like they adjusted the blower a little, but it still seems basically the same.
I wound up buying a 2500 with a Cummins diesel. Worse fuel economy, louder, but with much stronger towing features.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
My 2016 Eco is great. Not one problem. However, I'm only at 20350 miles and I'm tuned.

HotsauceED

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
2019 classic with black package it’s been great so far albeit a little slow

35mpg is my best so far over a longer trip and best from a full tank is 701 miles

debating on extended warranty or spend on full EGR Delete etc and hope reliability improves

974A0094-DEF8-4D3F-9475-41BDF6753EF2.jpeg

JayLuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
I had a 2015 crew cab 4x4 and loved it. great for towing my toy hauler and around town. It became the go-to family vehicle for everything